Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How come Atheists are against anti blasphemy laws but are OK with bashing other .....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Otacon wrote: »
    Hit and run?

He at least posted a follow up post.

However, there should be some rule where you can't post on this forum unless you've something like 200 posts.

• Moderators Posts: 51,713 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Have to agree with you op, I dont think anyone would disagree that we shouldnt have free speech and anti-blasphemy laws are a good thing because it keeps whats sacred sacred.

Also agree with the second part that Atheists do like bashing people.
    It would be more accurate to say "some atheists do like bashing religion."
    Also you know what the say about opinions, Atheists opinions are that there's no God and they want to force others not to believe while religious folk believe in god and just want to live in peace.
    I'm not aware of any atheist who wants to force people to atheism. And you're forgetting about the indoctrination in the public schools system, which in case you didn't know is a Catholic run system.
    And as they're both opinions (one opinion is there is a god and the other no god) both can be right.

The thing I dont get is if Atheists dont like religion in the state so much then why dont they just move to communist china, or even closer to the non-religious Mecca France.

Because they are members of society and engage in the political system/democracy to try and change things they're not happy with.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Dades wrote: »
    Because that one had me scratching my head too.

Just because the sentence makes no sense doesn't mean he can't take it on faith. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,232 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Have to agree with you op, I dont think anyone would disagree that we shouldnt have free speech and anti-blasphemy laws are a good thing because it keeps whats sacred sacred.

Also agree with the second part that Atheists do like bashing people. Also you know what the say about opinions, Atheists opinions are that there's no God and they want to force others not to believe while religious folk believe in god and just want to live in peace. And as they're both opinions (one opinion is there is a god and the other no god) both can be right.

The thing I dont get is if Atheists dont like religion in the state so much then why dont they just move to communist china, or even closer to the non-religious Mecca France.

Because atheists have just as much right to live in their home country as religious people do. And people shouldn't be discriminated against because they follow a different religion or have no religion. And atheists generally believe that everyone should be treated equally. And because many religious people are just as intolerant as the atheists they claim are intolerant to them.

Here's an idea, why don't religious people go to a different country where they can follow their religion! Let's face it, religious people don't need rules or laws, because every single one of them is a moral, upstanding person. And a fully religious society wouldn't need to discriminate against anyone, because they'd all be like one hivemind who all agree with each other and no opposing viewpoints or discussions are allowed. They can follow the Pope's rules, and when he changes his mind, they can follow the new rules instead without having to spend all that precious time thinking if he might be wrong about something. They can ban free speech so their children can be fully brainwashed and not be influence by modern society where thinking is allowed. They can save loads of money on health bills by just praying and dying instead. And if a child is born gay (which probably won't happen seeing as how there won't be gay people on the television to influence them), they can bully them until they commit suicide.

In all seriousness though, I just don't speak Chinese and a lot of french food doesn't agree with me. And there's no point leaving a country just because something doesn't agree with me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Penn wrote: »
    Because atheists have just as much right to live in their home country as religious people do. And people shouldn't be discriminated against because they follow a different religion or have no religion. And atheists generally believe that everyone should be treated equally. And because many religious people are just as intolerant as the atheists they claim are intolerant to them.

Here's an idea, why don't religious people go to a different country where they can follow their religion! Let's face it, religious people don't need rules or laws, because every single one of them is a moral, upstanding person. And a fully religious society wouldn't need to discriminate against anyone, because they'd all be like one hivemind who all agree with each other and no opposing viewpoints or discussions are allowed. They can follow the Pope's rules, and when he changes his mind, they can follow the new rules instead without having to spend all that precious time thinking if he might be wrong about something. They can ban free speech so their children can be fully brainwashed and not be influence by modern society where thinking is allowed. They can save loads of money on health bills by just praying and dying instead. And if a child is born gay (which probably won't happen seeing as how there won't be gay people on the television to influence them), they can bully them until they commit suicide.

In all seriousness though, I just don't speak Chinese and a lot of french food doesn't agree with me. And there's no point leaving a country just because something doesn't agree with me.

I love French food and I even speak French - but they laugh at my Swiss accent (long story) but, see, I'm not French. I'm Irish and I live in Ireland. I have an Irish passport that says I am Irish AND a birth cert that says I was born in Ireland - neither of those official documents makes any mention of religion... funny that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Is this not a bit of a contradiction. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you're saying free speech should be allowed, unless it's against religion? Why? People who are not religious have as much right to talk about their beliefs, or lack of, as you do about your beliefs.
    As for the 'keeps whats sacred sacred' bit, that's a bit biased towards religious people don't you think? Do you also agree there should be laws against hate speech? Probably not as that would see the Pope locked up for quite a while I'd imagine :D
    Also agree with the second part that Atheists do like bashing people. Also you know what the say about opinions, Atheists opinions are that there's no God and they want to force others not to believe while religious folk believe in god and just want to live in peace. And as they're both opinions (one opinion is there is a god and the other no god) both can be right.
    This is a bit rich coming from someone who spends quite a bit of time on an atheism forum, bashing athiests. Yes, they are both just opinions. Don't think I didn't notice the little bit of spin you put on it there though. You mentioned atheists like to force people to not believe, while religious people just like to live in peace. This isn't true at all. Some atheists want to force people not to believe, and some religious want to force people to believe. I think thats's a much more fair statement.
    Lol. Just lol. This, in the same post as you were advocating freedom of speech? Again, just.... Lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I believe in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    Blasphemy! Your love of a false god is blasphemy! You should be hanged by your toenails over a pit of hungry rats!

You do realise that by believing in one god it'd be blasphemy according to someone elses "god"?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

This is a bit rich coming from someone who spends quite a bit of time on an atheism forum, bashing athiests.

Well I have spent quite a bit of time this week in the Atheist & agnostic forum, but I've only posted in 3 threads in 4 months here so you're right and perhaps a little wrong. Most of the threads are "pope says this" or "how I hate Catholicism" which gets a little tedious so thats why I frequent here occasionally in short spells.

I also find this place a little scary that such anti-tolerance goes on and if the type of atheistism that's wanted here actually came true then it would be something similar to Nazi Germany - I'm also not surprised that an Adolf Hitler quote got so many thanks in the funny thread.

And i dont bash Atheists here - i just thing it's pretty idiotic not to believe in God. I see an Atheist and they're just so angry, I think they're rebeling because they're still angry that they were lied to about Santa Clause.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Regular troll, not a god person troll, sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

And i dont bash Atheists here - i just thing it's pretty idiotic not to believe in God. I see an Atheist and they're just so angry, I think they're rebeling because they're still angry that they were lied to about Santa Clause.

It's pretty idiotic not to believe in God? Any reasons?

I wouldn't consider an atheist to be an angry person. The freedom and relief that comes with no religion is just so fulfilling that we want to spread it to everyone. :pac:

• Advertisement

Well I have spent quite a bit of time this week in the Atheist & agnostic forum, but I've only posted in 3 threads in 4 months here so you're right and perhaps a little wrong. Most of the threads are "pope says this" or "how I hate Catholicism" which gets a little tedious so thats why I frequent here occasionally in short spells.
    Firstly, congratulations on ignoring most of my post. I've seen your name pop up a few times recently, and I don't read every thread on here, just the ones that interest me. I don't see how most of the threads say those things anyway. It would be just as accurate to say most threads in the Christianity forum say 'I like god' and if it gets a little tedious, you don't have to read it you know.
    I also find this place a little scary that such anti-tolerance goes on and if the type of atheistism that's wanted here actually came true then it would be something similar to Nazi Germany - I'm also not surprised that an Adolf Hitler quote got so many thanks in the funny thread.
    Anti-tolerence? Please explain. Religious people are allowed to post their beliefs in here without much censorship. This does not occur in the christiany forum, where posts saying there is no god are deleted unless they're in a specefic thread. No one here wants anything similar to nazi germany. As I see it most people here want a secular society. I don't see why you have a problem with this?
    You're entitled to think it's pretty idiotic if you like. I'm not angry at all. If it turns out there is a god i'll be pretty angry at him for all the crap he's llet happen though.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭sephir0th

popcorn-1.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

OP: I'm anti-blasphemy laws and I'm a Christian. Personally I think it's obnoxious to slam other people for their belief in X or Y or to ridicule someone for their faith, but I am a firm supporter of the liberty of speech. I would prefer that atheists were honest about what they felt about my Christian faith rather than having to keep it under the rug.

philologos wrote: »
    OP: I'm anti-blasphemy laws and I'm a Christian. Personally I think it's obnoxious to slam other people for their belief in X or Y or to ridicule someone for their faith, but I am a firm supporter of the liberty of speech. I would prefer that atheists were honest about what they felt about my Christian faith rather than having to keep it under the rug.

I don't think it's necessarily obnoxious to slam people for their beliefs. If you believe in one thing and someone else believes something else, there's a high chance of heated words being exchanged. Completely agree with you about liberty of speech part. I'm not religious myself but personally I wouldn't like to live somewhere people are persecuted for being religious.

I don't think it's necessarily obnoxious to slam people for their beliefs.

That surely depends on what they believe in, no? I don't think philologos is proposing that it's obnoxious to slam people for their beliefs irrespective of the circumstances. But (for example) it is obnoxious to slam people simply because they are Catholics, or Muslims, or atheists.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

It would appear the OP is banned...

CONSPIRACY!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

philologos wrote: »

some day... you’ll make a fine atheist

:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

i just thing it's pretty idiotic not to believe in God.

Which god are ya talking about there ted?

Firstly, congratulations on ignoring most of my post. I've seen your name pop up a few times recently, and I don't read every thread on here, just the ones that interest me. I don't see how most of the threads say those things anyway. It would be just as accurate to say most threads in the Christianity forum say 'I like god' and if it gets a little tedious, you don't have to read it you know.

Anti-tolerence? Please explain. Religious people are allowed to post their beliefs in here without much censorship. This does not occur in the christiany forum, where posts saying there is no god are deleted unless they're in a specefic thread. No one here wants anything similar to nazi germany. As I see it most people here want a secular society. I don't see why you have a problem with this?

You're entitled to think it's pretty idiotic if you like. I'm not angry at all. If it turns out there is a god i'll be pretty angry at him for all the crap he's llet happen though.

Didnt really mean to ignore most your post it's just not my style to nit pick every sentence or word with a fine tooth comb.

And you shouldnt be angry with God, he's a loving God, and as Dades says he does work in mysterious ways. The fact that he hasnt smite anyone on this forum yet shows he's real and a forgiving God.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Barr125

Galvasean wrote: »
    It would appear the OP is banned...

CONSPIRACY!!!!

Take that to the Conspiracy Forum Galvasean :D

And Oranage2, I've seen you post in more than 3 threads here, at least, and trust me, you're being allowed a pretty free reign in the A&A, way more than I got in the Christianity Forum. -.-

• Advertisement

Didnt really mean to ignore most your post it's just not my style to nit pick every sentence or word with a fine tooth comb.

And you shouldnt be angry with God, he's a loving God, and as Dades says he does work in mysterious ways. The fact that he hasnt smite anyone on this forum yet shows he's real and a forgiving God.

I'm hardly asking you to nit pick, but you're making generalisations about people then refusing to back it up with anything at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Which God?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

You're just messing right?

Admit it. You're secretly an Atheist trying to make christians look foolish.

Poe's Law.

BTW, the fact that your pc is not on fire is proof that I am forgiving and have not made it spontaneously combust. Praise me!

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mossyc123

I see an Atheist and they're just so angry, I think they're rebeling because they're still angry that they were lied to about Santa Clause.

Thought I was the only one that picked up on that :P

Comes out especially strong in the "religion is brainwashing children" argument.

OP doesn't make sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭RichieC

So I was pretty much right to suspect Orange was trolling the evolution thread. I felt kinda bad just dropping a picture in.

Anti-tolerence? Please explain. Religious people are allowed to post their beliefs in here without much censorship. This does not occur in the christiany forum, where posts saying there is no god are deleted unless they're in a specefic thread. .

Bring it up in the feedback forum insteead of crying to me about it, though it does sound pretty trolly why you would do it.
    Barr125 wrote: »
    Take that to the Conspiracy Forum Galvasean :D

And Oranage2, I've seen you post in more than 3 threads here, at least, and trust me, you're being allowed a pretty free reign in the A&A, way more than I got in the Christianity Forum. -.-

Ah yes the Mods here are perhaps generous with their leniency, they sound like well balanced people. Though people that believe in nothing or pseudoscience like astrology and evolution arent really offended by much so perhaps that why they are that little more lenient.
    Sonics2k wrote: »
    Which God?

The rock on my bedside locker. Thats a joke. The only God ofcourse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Thor, then?

Are you quite aware of how many gods people are claiming to be the only one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I don't think it's necessarily obnoxious to slam people for their beliefs. If you believe in one thing and someone else believes something else, there's a high chance of heated words being exchanged. Completely agree with you about liberty of speech part. I'm not religious myself but personally I wouldn't like to live somewhere people are persecuted for being religious.

I think it is obnoxious. I have no problem with an atheist criticising my faith. I can handle criticism. I do think that if I show an atheist respect, that it should be expected in civilised discussion that they show me respect as a person. There is a difference between criticism and ridicule. Sure, if I was discussing with a Muslim about my faith in Jesus, I could go for the approach of ridiculing Muhammad, or ridiculing the Islamic concept of God. Or I could go for the approach where I listen to them, and respond accordingly. One approach is obnoxious, the other is respectful. I have spoken with Muslims out in the street doing dawah about why I disagree with the Islamic position on Jesus (I generally focus on that, because I find that it is the most significant and relevant difference in respect to Islam and what is crucial about the God that Christians believe in), but I don't laugh at Islam as a faith. If you want people to listen to you, and take what you say seriously, it's not a great start if you think about it.

I consider any approach where people intentionally ridicule the other, and what they believe in what is meant to be a respectful discussion as being obnoxious and rude especially when a more productive discussion could be had with a bit of respect.

I guess for me there is another factor in that the Bible tells me that I should tell people about Jesus in a respectful and loving manner (1 Peter 3:15). I would start to doubt who I was speaking for if it became a matter of ridicule. Would I be really speaking for Jesus, or for my own mere temporal satisfaction? I need to ask that here, and in other places where I speak about Jesus as well, as I need to regard it seriously.

condra wrote: »
    some day... you’ll make a fine atheist

:D

I doubt it. I'm a little bit too convinced that Jesus is Lord, and I am becoming more and more convinced each year that passes since He first showed me the truth through the Bible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Well if you're not actually looking, you won't see the flaws.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭SheFiend

I find it hilarious that someone who believes in indoctrinating infants into Christianity can accuse atheists of "forcing" their beliefs (or lack of, to be accurate) on the religious.

Orange, what happened to "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone..?"

I must be wrong in thinking you are Christian.

Advertisement