Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS: Early retirement (29th Feb) vs Increments

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

n97 mini wrote: »
    Out of a workforce of 1.7 million.

While there were about 1,100 defined benefit schemes in 2010, there were 75,000 defined contribution schemes.

DB is in the tiny minority. To say otherwise is like saying rural dwellers subsidise urban waste water schemes.

Actually, looking back I didn't include the full figures.

568,488 in a defined benefit pension scheme of one kind or another.
    266,909 in a defined contribution pension scheme of one kind or another.

568,488 of 1.7 million is about one third, hardly a tiny minority. Adding in the defined contribution brings you over 50%.

I am not sure that every pension scheme is registered with the Pensions Board, particularly PRSAs so there may be some more out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

assuming they took a 10% paycut their pension
    but no Public/Civil Servant did despite what they say. They took a 10% pay cut from their NET salary in that they now pay a 10% contribution to their pension but their GROSS salary never changed. The Pension is calculated on their GROSS Salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Godge wrote: »
    568,488 in a defined benefit pension scheme of one kind or another.
    I presume you're counting in Public Sector now?

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭martian1980

I presume you're counting in Public Sector now?

I presume your workforce figure of 1.7 million included people with no pension at all, aside from the state one. Hardly fair to include them when we're looking at the percentage of pension plans in the country

I presume your workforce figure of 1.7 million included people with no pension at all, aside from the state one. Hardly fair to include them when we're looking at the percentage of pension plans in the country

I don't think it's unfair to look at the workforce as a whole when discussing pensions. Every worker will eventually be on a pension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭martian1980

I don't think it's unfair to look at the workforce as a whole when discussing pensions. Every worker will eventually be on a pension.

I do, since the number of workers on DB versus DC schemes was what was being discussed

I do, since the number of workers on DB versus DC schemes was what was being discussed

What was being discussed was increments vs early retirement in the PS.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

amen wrote: »
    but no Public/Civil Servant did despite what they say. They took a 10% pay cut from their NET salary in that they now pay a 10% contribution to their pension but their GROSS salary never changed. The Pension is calculated on their GROSS Salary.

Totally WRONG, you are referring onlt to the so-called 'pension levy' which was a disguised pay cut.
    An actual pay cut between 7-14% (depending on salary) was applied on top of the pension levy later.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,079 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Yes, all PS workers took a cut to gross wages, as well as paying a pension levy (PRD) on top of the normal pension contributions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

amen wrote: »

PS pensioners now pay a levy on their pension, so they will see a reduction in the pension

Yes, pre-existing PS pensioners took a cut/levy called the PRD.

In my opinion, this levy needs to be increased.

Advertisement