Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sim City 5 Incoming?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Take a look at metacritic user scores and the quotes with them:
    The game has a lot of problems. Only one of them actually matters. Never support always online DRM for a single player game.
    t may be looked down upon to use this as a megaphone to shout through but the fact is that people need to see this, that NO-ONE should EVER support always online DRM for a single player game,
    Server reached maximum capacity and so I was placed in a queue and was not allowed to play a SINGLE PLAYER GAME because it forces me to constantly be online.

They're scores from people who are either protesting drm or complaining that the expected server failures happened as expected. As I said, they're about as valuable as fanboys who give their favourite games 10 out of 10 before they even get to play them. Right now there's very little of substance in any user reviews compared to the huge amount of hissy fits going on.

Right now we can't get a good picture of how the game plays because it's just launched. We'll know better at the start of next week, when it's been running in the US for a week and here for a weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭TPMP

Just got an email a while ago from Zavvi saying that the game has been dispatched and that its estimated delivery time is on or before the 15th of March!!! Couldnt believe what I was reading! If it arrives any later then Friday, it completely defeated the purpose of pre ordering!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

TPMP wrote: »
    Just got an email a while ago from Zavvi saying that the game has been dispatched and that its estimated delivery time is on or before the 15th of March!!! Couldnt believe what I was reading! If it arrives any later then Friday, it completely defeated the purpose of pre ordering!

Seems pretty stupid alright. I cancelled my preorder anywho until there's some sort of resolution on the EA Servers issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Is there any option, apart from Origin, for those that don't have a DVD drive? Really don't want to have to pay the extortionate €80 to EA.

I don't think so. But if it's any consolation, it's only €60.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Eoin247

Been following this for a while. Seems like ea have overtaken diablos infamously horrible launch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭peejay1986

humanji wrote: »
    I don't think so. But if it's any consolation, it's only €60.

Yeah, but I was ideally looking to buy the Limited Edition version. Annoying that you have to pay €60 on Origin for the Standard version when for the same price you'd get the Limited Edition on DVD.

Amazon.com seem to do digital downloads (although temp suspended). Does anyone know if I could download from there?

Anybody got their copy of the game yet? Mine won't arrive till next week.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Eoin247 wrote: »
    Anybody got their copy of the game yet? Mine won't arrive till next week.

Not the worst thing ever, servers have been terrible so far.

Not the worst thing ever, servers have been terrible so far.

Have you gotten to play it yet? The main thing I'm worried about is the length of playability due to city size. The drm doesn't bother me too much although I realise that it was the cause of the awful launch and unrecoverable reviews on metacritic.

• Advertisement

Haven't got mine yet. Hopefully i'll have it next week. Did anyone else order from zavvi??

• Registered Users Posts: 29 jonasvalent

i pre ordered my copy on the 6th from gamestop, got it ton friday had some patching but no problems overall been great fun so far honestly dont know what all the fuss is about, tbh i live in the west, on 3 internet with a now outdated laptop! great stuff, if anyone has a region or wants to join mine msg jonasvalent101

i pre ordered my copy on the 6th from gamestop, got it ton friday had some patching but no problems overall been great fun so far honestly dont know what all the fuss is about, tbh i live in the west, on 3 internet with a now outdated laptop! great stuff, if anyone has a region or wants to join mine msg jonasvalent101

What sort of specs does your laptop have? It runs fine on it ya? No problems with frames?

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭kaerobe

been eager to try out a shared region. cant add you, my username is kaerobe

Zavvi is driving me mad. The last update I got was last Thursday..

Thu 07/03/2013 09:23: Your order has been scanned at the Origin Depot for export.
    Thu 07/03/2013 11:00: Your order has arrived at the carrier's central hub.

Nothing since. Had I known it would take this long I wouldnt have ordered from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

It's €32.79 (free shipping too) now in IE Wow HD but only until March 31st.

It seems the bad reviews are from their server problems.. but at least that's something they can easily sort!

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭kaerobe

what server are you all using?

I would like to join someones region, finding solo play boring and the big maps with free cities are usually in a mess!

my username is kaerobe!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

For those who've played this, what's the verdict? Wasn't a fan of sim city 4 but would be interested in trying this one.

It's essentially an unfinished game. It's playable, but once you get deep into it, you'll realise a whole host of problems that simply shouldn't be there. It's only worth getting if it's dirt cheap, and even then you should feel bad about yourself for buying it.

For those who've played this, what's the verdict? Wasn't a fan of sim city 4 but would be interested in trying this one.

It's worth a try, and if you pc is good enough (This game can be very taxing on your system, and it can be very picky on what kind of setup you've got) it can be very enjoyable.

They have fixed a lot (though not all) of the bugs at this stage. While it may not be as replayable as SC4 for some, I found it to be fun to play and far more accessible than earlier simcity games.

If you can get it for cheaper then all the better. But now that the servers are fine and a lot of the bugs are gone, it's definitely worth the 37 euros that it currently costs on amazon IMO.

• Advertisement
Advertisement