Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France V Ireland – Stade de France, Paris. Sunday 4th March 15:00 RTE2 & BBC2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

This harping on about individual players is invidious imo. Putting O'Gara's interview aside (and as I said above, quotes can be misleading) there's been far too much emphasis on comparing player X with player Y on this thread.

It's the game plan that's causing most of the problems. We seem to have taken an extremely conservative approach which appears to be:

1. Inside your own 10, kick the leather off the ball.
    2. Protect your ruck ball at all costs (usually meaning 5+ players in a ruck)
    3. No quick recycling of ruck ball until 'you've worn the opposition down'
    4. One out passes are good - keep it tight.
    5. Keep the defensive line intact. If that means being 10 metres from the oppsition, well and good, sure you can see them coming.
    6. Rinse and repeat until the opposition are worn down, then bring on the fresh legs and speed it up.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I'm perfectly happy for players to be honest. Doesn't mean I then have to worship everything they say when they are. I am all for O'Gara's right to tell everyone how selfless he is or all for Joey Barton to tweet away about how terrible the people who pay him are. However, I also reserve the right to form my own opinion on what they do say.

I completely disagree with your second point. If your team wins you take satisfaction. Whether you are starting, on the bench, or in the stands. If you come off the bench and score two tries you will take more satisfaction, obviously.

“It’s an emotional rollercoaster. I played eight or 10 minutes; it was a boring game at that stage. You don’t get much satisfaction, from a selfish point of view.

He came on at 69mins with the score 30-10. He didn't say he got no satisfaction just not much from a personal point of view. I would echo his sentiment to be honest whenever I've been in a similar position.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭JRant

DDC1990 wrote: »
    danthefan wrote: »
    Nope, that isn't it. You don't find a single other player in Irish rugby attempt to undermine the player in competition for their place in the media. ROG has attempted it a few times at this stage.
    Where does ROG undermine Sexton?

Only mentions Sexton to say, that they had a rocky relationship in the begining, and now are getting on grand.

Exactly like the David Humphreys relationship. David Humphreys breathing down ROG's neck, lead O'Gara to become one of the best players under extreme pressure. By putting Sexton under the same pressure, Sexton knows that he has to play at the peak of his game every minute he is on the pitch to show the management he is worthy of his spot.

If Sexton can't deal with that, then he isn't worth his place on the team, simple as, because when it comes to a pressure situation, if having ROG behind you spooks you, then a 45m Drop Goal to win the match in front of 55,000 will spook you.

Sexton has come on leaps and bounds since he accepted the fact that O'Gara would be competition. I thought he was poor enough against Italy from open play, (by his own standards, not knocking him at all) but made the vital kicks, on his weaker side to keep pushing us out ahead.

Ah would ya come off it now. Sexton was regularly dropped after excellent performances, what do you think that does to a players confidence? Competition for places is what we need but thats not what was at play here. Sexton barely had a run out in the WC after the Aussie game, might have had something to do with ROG's interview around that time tbh.
    ROG's latest interview only states what everyone who plays sport feels in some way or another when your left on the bench. It's only human nature and the more competitive you are the harder it is to accept. However there is a time and a place for these types of things, in the middle of the biggest tournament of the year and two days before a massive game is neither IMHO

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭supernova84

I predict France to annihilate us today because they're the better team. Ireland are way over rated and can't cope with the hype.

• Advertisement

I predict France to annihilate us today because they're the better team. Ireland are way over rated and can't cope with the hype.
    Insightful stuff. Can't wait for your next post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭BarackPyjama

Annabella1 wrote: »
    Big responsibility on Sexton today to get some control of the game at Outhalf.He was very good last week in Aviva but I would argue that he has yet to hit the heights at an away game against top opposition in the 6N.He has oodles of talent.Hopefully we see a complete performance today

We won't see much of a performance because the wrong scrum half has been selected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Annabella1 wrote: »
    Big responsibility on Sexton today to get some control of the game at Outhalf.He was very good last week in Aviva but I would argue that he has yet to hit the heights at an away game against top opposition in the 6N.He has oodles of talent.Hopefully we see a complete performance today

We won't see much of a performance because the wrong scrum half has been selected.

Again.

rrpc wrote: »
    This harping on about individual players is invidious imo. Putting O'Gara's interview aside (and as I said above, quotes can be misleading) there's been far too much emphasis on comparing player X with player Y on this thread.

It's the game plan that's causing most of the problems. We seem to have taken an extremely conservative approach which appears to be:

1. Inside your own 10, kick the leather off the ball.
    2. Protect your ruck ball at all costs (usually meaning 5+ players in a ruck)
    3. No quick recycling of ruck ball until 'you've worn the opposition down'
    4. One out passes are good - keep it tight.
    5. Keep the defensive line intact. If that means being 10 metres from the oppsition, well and good, sure you can see them coming.
    6. Rinse and repeat until the opposition are worn down, then bring on the fresh legs and speed it up.

1: can't argue with that startegy tbh play the percentages inside your own 10.

2,3 & 4 comes down to the scrum half more often than not. If he's missing then numbers are needed to secure ball. If he's taking an age at the back of a ruck you don't get quick ball. If he's constantly passing the ball one out to stationary players we've no option but to keep it tight.

5: this is unforgivable, if you stand off any of the top 6 teams they'll murder ya.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

O'Gara is delusional if he thinks Sexton is starting for development reasons. I love the way he tries to act as if he should be commended for sitting on the bench for the good of the national team's development :rolleyes: This is the same O'Gara who threatened retirement on national t.v because he didn't start the Australia game.

As for the 'rocky relationship at the beginning'....because this is an internet forum I won't say what I've been told by a player but let me just say that the rocky relationship had nothing to do with Sexton and everything to do with O'Gara feeling threatened. He only warmed to Sexton after some intervention from a number of senior players.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Higher wrote: »
    O'Gara is delusional if he thinks Sexton is starting for development reasons. I love the way he tries to act as if he should be commended for sitting on the bench for the good of the national team's development :rolleyes: This is the same O'Gara who threatened retirement on national t.v because he didn't start the Australia game.

As for the 'rocky relationship at the beginning'....because this is an internet forum I won't say what I've been told by a player but let me just say that the rocky relationship had nothing to do with Sexton and everything to do with O'Gara feeling threatened. He only warmed to Sexton after some intervention from a number of senior players.

Yet you go on to say it anyway???

JRant wrote: »
    Depends who you employ the strategy against. Against a good back three and you could end up defending in your own half which is what you don't want to be doing. But as a basic strategy it's not likely to get you in to too much trouble.
    2,3 & 4 comes down to the scrum half more often than not. If he's missing then numbers are needed to secure ball. If he's taking an age at the back of a ruck you don't get quick ball. If he's constantly passing the ball one out to stationary players we've no option but to keep it tight.
    Except if it's your strategy in the first place to keep the ball slow and set your attack as if it was defending, then it's not likely to generate anything except boredom. ;)
    5: this is unforgivable, if you stand off any of the top 6 teams they'll murder ya.
    Yet it's exactly what we did against Wales.

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Yet you go on to say it anyway???

No I meant I wont go into the details of what ROG was at.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

No I meant I wont go into the details of what ROG was at.

Yerra sure why not spill the beans Higher?

You clearly have the inside track into what goes on in the Ireland squad :p

Anyway I feel it's time to give my tuppence worth

Few reasons why we can feel positive:

Our back-line is starting to look somewhat dangerous again when given quick ball. Maybe the influence of Tainton is starting to come through.

Sexton kicked impeccably last week so hopefully he's going to be the same model of consistency that he is for his club.

French defense is a possible weakness, fast up but we saw with the Scots that there's holes there to be exploited.

With Swarsecki coming off the back of a mare last week we should be able to disrupt French line-out

Rougarie had a stinker last week, here's hoping for another.

Reasons to be negative

Conor Murray probably won't have sorted out the indecision that plagued his last performance

We'll probably play a conservative game based on kicking to a dangerous French back three

We'll probably see Ferris and SOB standing at first receiver far too often trying to make inches with slow ball

Our midfield, while not as weak as some would proclaim, will still more than likely be breached at least once or twice

Our discipline in our own half was deplorable in the Italian game, we got away with it because of Botes but not with Parra kicking

Benny Cake wrote: »
    Yerra sure why not spill the beans Higher?

You clearly have the inside track into what goes on in the Ireland squad :p

Thats exactly why I'm not going to spill the beans, posters like you who seem to think I am trying to impress some strangers on the internet. Theres no point because of childish remarks like yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

The sheer dislike (is hatred too strong a word?) for everything O'Gara from a certain contingent really makes one wonder how they endured watching the national team before Sexton came on the stage.

The sheer dislike (is hatred too strong a word?) for everything O'Gara from a certain contingent really makes one wonder how they endured watching the national team before Sexton came on the stage.

He is not just disliked by a portion of Leinster fans. Your delusional if you think that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Thats exactly why I'm not going to spill the beans, posters like you who seem to think I am trying to impress some strangers on the internet. Theres no point because of childish remarks like yours.

You claims to have intimate contact with a player but can't go into the detail, in that case, why mention it at all?

What's that I smell?

He is not just disliked by a portion of Leinster fans. Your delusional if you think that.

I've met Ronan a good few times and he's spot on

I'm also friendly with a few of the younger Munster squad members and they've told me that O Gara was one of the more welcoming of the senior squad members and a really nice all round guy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Come on Ireland

France Vs Irelan d 2000
    Hope this doesnt step over lines with rules.

Benny Cake wrote: »
    You claims to have intimate contact with a player but can't go into the detail, in that case, why mention it at all?

What's that I smell?

OH MY GOD! This poster has 'intimate' (lol) contact with a player!!!!

It's hardly a claim that is an extraordinary one. If you went to a rugby school in Dublin then chances are you know a few internationals its really not a big deal at all and certainly not something that should invoke responses like yours. You must idolize rugby players or be very young to suspect that someone is bull****ting when they claim to know some professional players in this country.

I mentioned it because it is something of interest for a lot of posters. I like to give something back to the community. I'm not going into the exact nitty and gritty because it will only invoke widespread responses like yours. If posters are really interested they can PM me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

Match day.

Critics hat off.

Jersey on.

C'mon Ireland !!

rrpc wrote: »
    JRant wrote: »
    Depends who you employ the strategy against. Against a good back three and you could end up defending in your own half which is what you don't want to be doing. But as a basic strategy it's not likely to get you in to too much trouble.
    Except if it's your strategy in the first place to keep the ball slow and set your attack as if it was defending, then it's not likely to generate anything except boredom. ;)
    Yet it's exactly what we did against Wales.

Can't really argue about the strategy. We do look to be playing in a very conservative way. Keeping it tight is the way DK likes it and in itself there's nothing wrong with it. However we're trying to keep it tight while having the slowest ball known to man being delivered by the SH, Its a reciepe for disaster. No wonder our backline look nervous when they get the ball, leading to silly knock-ons, as they know they might not get the ball again for quite a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,744 ✭✭✭✭phog

danthefan wrote: »
    Staggering lack of self awareness here, but whatever.

Take this to a PM and send me a few links of where you think I've been disparaging to players.

oh, another friend of a friend :D:D:D That friend wouldn't be blinded by loyalty to one of the players now would he?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

OH MY GOD! This poster has 'intimate' (lol) contact with a player!!!!

It's hardly a claim that is an extraordinary one. If you went to a rugby school in Dublin then chances are you know a few internationals its really not a big deal at all and certainly not something that should invoke responses like yours. You must idolize rugby players or be very young to suspect that someone is bull****ting when they claim to know some professional players in this country.

I mentioned it because it is something of interest for a lot of posters. I like to give something back to the community. I'm not going into the exact nitty and gritty because it will only invoke widespread responses like yours. If posters are really interested they can PM me.

I don't think anyone really cares if you know a rugby player or two. What people do care about is you making unsubstantiated defamatory remarks.

I don't think anyone really cares if you know a rugby player or two. What people do care about is you making unsubstantiated defamatory remarks about a Munster player.
    Fixed that for you ;)

I'll get me coat. Think there's a match on soon...

If Murray plays like he did last week then he should be hauled off after 30mins. Its vital that we dont let France pull ahead at half time.

Do you honestly think that?
    Jebus, talk about a seige mentality. O'Gara gets more than his fair share of plaudits from fans, players and the media alike. I mean if you looked up the word masterclass in the oxford dictionary you'd just get a picture of ROG. What more do you want for him? Maybe we should retire the 10 jersey in his honour.
    What he should be doing is keeping the big "I AM" interviews till after the 6N's, just like during the WC he's doing this for a reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

We must be within a score at halftime to have any kind of chance. If France blitz us in the first 30 then we won't have the ammo to haul back a deficit.

Advertisement