Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview segment on Ear To The Ground.

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭Cesium Clock

Cast Iron heres the 'overkill' Law from
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2006/en/si/0318.html#sched4
    SCHEDULE 6

Regulation 7(i) REQUIREMENTS FOR LADDERS

1. An employer shall ensure that a ladder is used for work at height only if the risk assessment has demonstrated that the use of more suitable work equipment is not justified because of the low risk and -

(a) the short duration of use, or

(b) existing features on site that he or she cannot alter.

2. Any surface upon which a ladder rests shall be stable, firm, of sufficient strength and of suitable composition to support safely the ladder, so that the ladder's rungs or steps and any loading intended to be placed on it remain horizontal.

3. A ladder shall be so positioned as to ensure its stability during use.

4. A suspended ladder shall be attached in a secure manner so that, with the exception of a flexible ladder, it cannot be displaced and swinging is prevented.

5. A portable ladder shall be prevented from slipping during use by -

(a) securing the stiles at or near their upper or lower ends,

(b) effective anti-slip or other effective stability devices, or

(c) any other arrangement of equivalent effectiveness.

6. A ladder used for access shall be long enough to protrude sufficiently above the place of landing to which it provides access, unless other measures have been taken to ensure a firm handhold.

7. No interlocking or extension ladder shall be used unless its sections are prevented from moving relative to each other while in use.

8. A mobile ladder shall be prevented from moving before it is used.

9. Where a ladder or run of ladders rises a vertical distance of 9 metres or more above its base, sufficient safe landing areas or rest platforms shall be provided at suitable intervals, where reasonably practicable.

10. A ladder shall be used in such a way that -

(a) a secure handhold and secure support are always available to the employee, and

(b) the employee can maintain a safe handhold when carrying a load unless, in the case of a step ladder, the maintenance of a handhold is not practicable when a load is carried, and the risk assessment has demonstrated that the use of a stepladder is justified because of -

(i) the low risk, and

(ii) the short duration of use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Cast Iron heres the 'overkill' Law from
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2006/en/si/0318.html#sched4
    SCHEDULE 6
    First off, I don't remember approving anyone's ladder use. I stated that some of the things suggested seemed like overkill.

And thanks for the link, can you point out which part of it was violated?

cast_iron wrote: »
    First off, I don't remember approving anyone's ladder use. I stated that some of the things suggested seemed like overkill.

And thanks for the link, can you point out which part of it was violated?

5. A portable ladder shall be prevented from slipping during use by -

(a) securing the stiles at or near their upper or lower ends,

(b) effective anti-slip or other effective stability devices, or

(c) any other arrangement of equivalent effectiveness.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭marclt

Lads,

Whilst the discussion on ladders and other matters of health and safety is really interesting.

Can we please stick to the topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Back on topic,if the programme makers went out now and did a vox pop of people who watched the show,how many would be any the wiser about Saorview? Not many I'd say,the whole aerial thing just helped add to the confusion.The mention of local install companies doing door to door has opened the world of opportunities for those who want to abuse it.So long as they don't say they are from RTE or Saorview they can twist the language to suit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Extinction

I agree totally, if they wanted to show the aerial installers side of things it would have been better to point out that the customer already had a uhf aerial and didn't need a new one and a short piece of the installer explaining this to the customer, then add in at the end of the piece that if an aerial installation was needed by a customer to contact a member from one of the three trade bodies. It was ridiculous to show a new aerial being installed when there was already perfectly useable aerials installed. It just adds to the confusion for the public.

I also have not heard of any reputable installers selling door to door and I wonder who they were refering to, it seems odd that reputable installers would be selling like this?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Here are 2 pieces that would have fitted well into that show.

scaller wrote: »
    Here are 2 pieces that would have fitted well into that show.

Would I get saorview off that scaller :D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Deep diver

Since I was and am a H&S officer of a well know telecom company , which I police, I find it terrible that the state broadcaster shows an so called aerial installers installing with no regards to H&S rules, on national television, a
    aerial installation for saorview.
    The installer broke every rule in the book.

Risk assessment, why was it not shown for a brief moment this been done, the first rule of any H&S document ?

No ladder secured, now every insurance company will be down on every installer nationwide.

No harness, what a joke,

Is this is the way RTE (saorview) want this business to be shown ?

Sub standard installs, it will be doomed from the start, and God help the three official bodies.

Thus this mean they have these standards ?. I hope knot.

It all comes down to mismanagement on RTE's part.

They appointed three bodies,
    So why do they not insist on proper standards, as this will reflect on there TV service! Pictures breaking up, and the public blame the supplier.

But then why did RTE show a unapproved installer ?
    Bigger belief,
    No sign on the three bodies web sites ? Mismanagement again.

I guess the saorview brand is been run by desk staff, and not real people who are involved in the installation business ? And they are not listing to installers ?

I hope this mess is resolved soon, as the saorview picture and quality is much better that my freeview service from the north.

The show was a complete mess, if an installer from one of the three trade boodies had been consulted the first thing that would have happened is that the house chosen for the filming would have needed a new aerial, not mentioning that the aerials already on the house could be used for saorview reception is what the rip off merchants are already doing. No health and safety equipment being used was the major issue in that show though, how could RTE allow that segment to be broadcast, surely someone in RTE looking at that before it was broadcast must have noticed.

If RTE have recognised three trade bodies then why not use one of their installers to be sure that correct standards of health and safety were used?
    The show did highlight something else though, it showed that if you dont use an installer from one of the trade bodies you have no way of knowing what level of competence an installer has. Even RTE couldn't see that the installer they used was incompetent with health and safety.

• Advertisement

Some sound advice for RTE, if ye ever feel ye need an aerial installer again use one from the three trade bodies recognised by Saorview ;)

Extinction wrote: »
    Some sound advice for RTE, if ye ever feel ye need an aerial installer again use one from the three trade bodies recognised by Saorview ;)

Did you not know that so long as the shop you bought the equipment from is approved then any auld eejit can install it.:rolleyes: It was on the telly so it must be right:pac:

zerks wrote: »
    Did you not know that so long as the shop you bought the equipment from is approved then any auld eejit can install it.:rolleyes: It was on the telly so it must be right:pac:

So what your saying is that the saorview website doesn't need all that confusing stuff and could just be one page with bullet points saying

1 Go to a retailer if you need a box or tv
    2 Buy an aerial if you dont have one
    3 Dont forget you'll need pre terminated cable
    4 Empty your wallet on the counter and go home
    5 Get a ladder (source one from a neighbour if you have to but check with the retailer if he sells them because we have retailers that double as hardware shops)
    6 Buy a hammer too and dont forget a lashing kit and spanners are also available in many of our authorised hardware and co-op shops.
    7 Have a look at the coverage map to see which direction to point your aerial
    8 look on you tube to see how to install a lashing kit
    9 proceed up your borrowed or authorised retailers ladder and commence lashing the chimney
    10 attach aerial making sure your pointing in the right direction
    11 connect the cable and using the hammer clip the cable down the wall on your house
    12 Go back to the saorview hardware merchant and buy clips if you forgot them earlier and also get a drill to make a hole in your house to get the cable in.
    13 connect the box and scan channels
    14 If its not working dont call us, we only provide the service so figure out your end yourself. All we know is that we have a signal out there and boxes that should work fine.

Extinction wrote: »
    So what your saying is that the saorview website doesn't need all that confusing stuff and could just be one page with bullet points saying

1 Go to a retailer if you need a box or tv
    2 Buy an aerial if you dont have one
    3 Dont forget you'll need pre terminated cable
    4 Empty your wallet on the counter and go home
    5 Get a ladder (source one from a neighbour if you have to but check with the retailer if he sells them because we have retailers that double as hardware shops)
    6 Buy a hammer too and dont forget a lashing kit and spanners are also available in many of our authorised hardware and co-op shops.
    7 Have a look at the coverage map to see which direction to point your aerial
    8 look on you tube to see how to install a lashing kit
    9 proceed up your borrowed or authorised retailers ladder and commence lashing the chimney
    10 attach aerial making sure your pointing in the right direction
    11 connect the cable and using the hammer clip the cable down the wall on your house
    12 Go back to the saorview hardware merchant and buy clips if you forgot them earlier and also get a drill to make a hole in your house to get the cable in.
    13 connect the box and scan channels
    14 If its not working dont call us, we only provide the service so figure out your end yourself. All we know is that we have a signal out there and boxes that should work fine.

Brilliant:D

zerks wrote: »
    Brilliant:D

I forgot the last one

15 please note that we havent featured anything relating to installers on the front page of our website, this is because we only recognise them meaning we know they are there somewhere, we have actually turned this into a game on Saorview kids called 'find the trade bodies on our website' its a bit like an easter egg hunt and you can win free tv for life!! Anyway we had to find a way of covering our arses in case you fall off that ladder so we can say 'sure we told you there's people out there to install them'! Don't mistake the word recognised for anything its not, we simply mean that we've met these guys and if we were walking down the street and saw one of them we'd ''Recognise'' them and cross to the other side just in case they asked us a valid question we'd have to answer.

Welcome to Boards 'Saorview Extinction' :D

Welcome to Boards 'Saorview Extinction' :D

Before asking questions could you please check if the answer is in one of the 15 points above, if you are sure it is you may go ahead and ask and I will refer you back to the answer in the 15 points. Do not under any circumstance ask a question if the answer is not in the 15 points because I will in those circumstances either A. ignore you hoping nobody else noticed your question or B. tell you I am not here to answer questions from your type. :D:D:D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Can it guys, or this thead will be closed too.

Advertisement