Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Golf 1.4 - is it bearable?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

BostonB wrote: »
    Define bearable?

Bearable to live with / to drive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Not the meaning of the word. What do you find bearable.

What bearable is highly subjective. I might be happy with a 1L because I only do city driving, you might be only doing motorway driving in which case a 1L might not be bearable, you might live somewhere with bad roads so you might like something softer rather than sporty. You might carry 4 passengers a lot so you might want a bigger engine. You might be doing mega miles, you might be doing tiny distances.

You seem to be picking on price only, not what you need in a car.

Well, I'm going to be doing about 120 motorway kms each day, Monday-Friday with some occasional city driving. Also, I'm travelling on my own.
    I would need some boot space though, as I might be carrying larger objects.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

How far of a drive?

How far of a drive?

Newbridge -> Carlow -> Newbridge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

At that kind of mileage you'd be better off with a diesel. Small capacity petrols at motorway speeds will guzzle fuel as they'll be running at between 3500 and 4000 rpm depending on the car! They'll also make a racket. From memory the 1.6 Focus only runs at 3,000 rpm on the motorway so will be very frugal not to mention quieter than other cars, and it's a great little car anyway.

At that kind of mileage you'd be better off with a diesel. Small capacity petrols at motorway speeds will guzzle fuel as they'll be running at between 3500 and 4000 rpm depending on the car! They'll also make a racket. From memory the 1.6 Focus only runs at 3,000 rpm on the motorway so will be very frugal not to mention quieter than other cars, and it's a great little car anyway.

I'd be planning to convert to LPG if it did cost me too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,178 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Sobanek wrote: »

Have you priced a LPG conversation? Could cost nearly the price of your petrol Golf.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Have you priced a LPG conversation? Could cost nearly the price of your petrol Golf.

Yeah, they're around €999 to install, but return great savings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Yeah, they're around €999 to install, but return great savings.

How many stations near you are selling LPG?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭voojeq

volvo v70's ain't bad either, they're as good as s40's but can be pricey if something goes wrong

how about that pug 206 gti from bangernomics thread, 1250 sounds reasonable and its not a gti on logbook?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

voojeq wrote: »
    volvo v70's ain't bad either, they're as good as s40's but can be pricey if something goes wrong

how about that pug 206 gti from bangernomics thread, 1250 sounds reasonable and its not a gti on logbook?

Are you suggesting a fraud?

Are you seriously considering spending a grand to convert a €1500 1.4 Golf to LPG? That's one of the least economic savvy things imaginable.

RoverJames wrote: »
    Are you seriously considering spending a grand to convert a €1500 1.4 Golf to LPG? That's one of the least economic savvy things imaginable.

The thread itself its struggling with savvy IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

My first car was golf 1.4l,never again ,bought it with under 100k miles on it,after a month i was pouring 1l of oil every week to keep it running,door lock broke ,back suspension went bust and many more small things that eventually eat up through a pocket.Never seen such a rubbish built car before it,it has good looks for the car and is comfy enough,but otherwise 1.4 base model is pure joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

Just want to point out that not all 1.4 Golfs burn oil.

But they are quite slow.

Just want to point out that not all 1.4 Golfs burn oil.

No, but when buying second hand, it would be virtually impossible to tell what ones are and what ones aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

No, but when buying second hand, it would be virtually impossible to tell what ones are and what ones aren't.

True, but I just wanted to add some balance because frequently on here everyone repeats the same factoids verbatim and it gets a bit tiresome.

On the subject of identifying engines which are burning oil, would it be possible to tell by the inside of the exhaust pipe?
    As I happen to know the one I am talking about it is clean as a whistle. Though perhaps that would only identify chronic oil burners, maybe by that stage the blue clouds would be easily spotted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mjgjm

Male, 18, Full Licence, 20% family&friends discount included.
    What insurance company is this with? As i have all of the above and am still just under 3K, on a 1.4l Golf

• Registered Users Posts: 51,178 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

6 year old thread, like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Feel free to start a new thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement