Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So what do we think of the new market attraction?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

buck65 wrote: »
    That's ridiculous, Wrafter is a fine artist, and has done work for years around the town.
    I think you are overplaying his "ties".
    Can't really understand the fuss.

You are proving my point for me.

One artist with many works around Ennis who has been doing it for years.

The fuss is, I know that for each work he has done, there are between 5-10 other local artists who also submit ideas. Those ideas are never accepted, the council selects the one they want without any input from the public and there is no oversight, just a handful of people behind closed doors doling out tens of thousands of tax payers money to whomever they select without any sort of documented process.

What makes one persons 'art' better than anothers? Why is one artist continually selected? Why are the people not involved in the process? If my taxes are going to pay for it, I would like to think two things:

First, that is a transparent process in which everyone in the local artist community has a chance to participate in.

Second, that as a member of the public who is ultimately paying for it that my input is considered.

The idea that one man always gets the big money contracts from the council is something that doesn't sit well with me. It's the reason our country is in the state it is in currently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

What about Shane Gilmore? Didn't he do the hands at the Cathedral, possibly the biggest sculpture in town. How many sculptors are in town anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I'm surprised it took this long to turn up in my Facebook feed.

554860_10150737143695673_529765672_11439634_2097751223_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

I'm surprised it took this long to turn up in my Facebook feed.

554860_10150737143695673_529765672_11439634_2097751223_n.jpg
    That's the start of it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 scrawnyass

MyKeyG wrote: »
    That's the start of it anyway.

There's no shortage of imbeciles in our mighty town.I'd be in daily contact with quite a few to be honest.:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Just saw this in person for the first time last weekend. Bloody hideous. They're way too big for that location.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

They took a little while to grow on me but really like them now. They're perfect for the market, nicely crafted too.

Advertisement