Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycleways Cup Sunday March 4th

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

I rang John from Navan - yea there was a problem / mixup with the placings - something happened just before the lead car came round so they were caught on the hop. I'm down for 5th, but even in the picture you can see 6 guys in front of me. If I get 7th/8th I'd be happy - the finish caught me off guard - I wasn't in position for it, so didn't really get to contest it like I would have hoped, I'd felt good all day. I thought myself I came around 10th, but it's hard to know - maybe it was 8th.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭C3PO

kenmc wrote: »
    Where? I don't see any baggy shorts there :D

Ahh .... I knew there was something missing! I must make sure that John Doris (8th in A3) and Rob Deegan (1st junior) we're wearing theirs! :rolleyes:

PS. Yep ... definately Donnough O'Keefe from Epic in 4th!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭jimbo28

Ya, they seem all wrong. I was in the western lakes jersey and finished in the top 10 id say.Was hoping to do better but i still cant sprint for sh!t.Was a good hard test, i thought your man from waterford was going to do the business off the front, he was very strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭C3PO

joker77 wrote: »
    I rang John from Navan - yea there was a problem / mixup with the placings - something happened just before the lead car came round so they were caught on the hop.

Can't say I'm really surprised! I thought the organisation was very hit and miss from start to finish! Strange considering that it is such a big event - I thought the Cuchulainn event last weekend was ran far more efficiently!

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Pablo Rubio

Did the A4 myself today.Great course and quite a fast speed. Was watching that guy from Waterford myself ,he looked fairly strong alright. Got caught behind that crash on that greasy corner. A couple of guys just lost their grip on the road after that light spell of rain. Ended up with a nice little bit of road rash and a bent derailleur and a chunk outta my shoe.The guy from Swords got a nasty bang to the head and the ambulance just drove straight on by !!!!

Also: Parking was a bit of a disaster at the start today I thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Didn't make it today with my Waterford teammates, I think the rider you are talking about was in the A4 race. He's 57. How does that make you feel ??!!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,318 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    He's 57. How does that make you feel ??!!
    Young (for a change)!

Ya.............That corner. Nearly became a cropper there myself, pulled a little snake maneuver, id say it looked **** hot from behind:D, to tell the truth it gave me a little bit of a scare. At the end of last year i came off and separated my shoulder.......was off work for 3 weeks and definitely didn't want to land on it again. 57..........fair play to him, its great to see characters like that in the races.I was chattin to him at the end......he seemed a bit pissed that it was 80 and not 70k, nice guy though. Hope everybody is o.k by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭LeoD

I think the rider you are talking about was in the A4 race. He's 57. How does that make you feel ??!!

Does he have flowing grey locks? I was in Broadford today but he was flying it in Tralee last week. Some tan also - I presume he was out foreign getting in the miles recently?

Sounds like him alright, id say he was some man on a bike when he was younger!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 iridemybike

jimbo28 wrote: »

He's some man on a bike now!! Great gutsy display and deserved better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

jimbo28 wrote: »

Yup, he was flying in Tralee also. Didn't give a damn about the A1's. Attacked them anyway. Tanned from our trip to the Canaries where he killed us all up the climbs. I too would like to have seen him on a bike when younger... trouble is he only took it up about 18 months ago !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Rode the A4 race. Was riding hard and attacking all day. Thought we had a gap once or twice but nothing stuck. I had no legs left for the finish but I was happy with my race. I was tactically naive but I think that race will stand to me.

My only A4 only race before this year was in Gorey last year and I got into a successful break with that Waterford guy. He organised the whole break, kept everyone working and made sure we stayed away. He made some effort today but it was too far out - he obviously thought he was closer to the finish. I made an effort with another waterford guy and a couple of Dublin Wheelers on the drags up the back road. If I knew I was so far from home I wouldn't have bothered.

I had to head away straight afterwards to pick up my daughter from a party so I wasn't talking to my clubmates. Didn't know one of them went down - hope he's OK (someone might PM me if they know who it was).

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Keep_Her_Lit

Yup, he was flying in Tralee also. Didn't give a damn about the A1's. Attacked them anyway. Tanned from our trip to the Canaries where he killed us all up the climbs. I too would like to have seen him on a bike when younger... trouble is he only took it up about 18 months ago !
    Great to see someone of that age getting stuck in. Out of interest, do you know what sport(s) he was doing before taking up cycling? With that kind of performance, I'm assuming he wasn't a couch potato!

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭vinniem

Know him well, he is a total honest rider and a gentleman. Really admire his ability at his age, hope ill be half as good at 57 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

joker77 wrote: »
    If I get 7th/8th I'd be happy - the finish caught me off guard - I wasn't in position for it, so didn't really get to contest it like I would have hoped, I'd felt good all day. I thought myself I came around 10th, but it's hard to know - maybe it was 8th.

Well done man! You'll pick up one of those races, no doubt, in due course. Reading about those 'greasy corners' makes me squirm a little. I'll try to get out to Newbridge in a couple of weeks if I feel good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

A4 for me to,coming of the back of a hard build week i found the going hard on the first lap,but i was better on the 2nd lap,good god that line out at the end of the first lap was savage some very strong riding (or may be it was just me) i managed to get across to the lead riders but so did the rest of the punch about the same time
    A stamullen guy done a 45kph shimmy across the road in front of me on the wet turn,fair play to him for keeping it upright im still not the better of it,i heard the bang behind didnt sound good hope every one is ok
    I was feeling good on the run into the finish but i managed to make a balls of my sprint,misjudging it by hiting the front 200m out and tying up rolling in about 15th or so
    Went to the clubhouse for a cuppa and try out the sarnies but left after 30min without anything appearing other than that it was a good day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

Good to see myself in the centre of the pic of the A4 sprint. Pity I was about ten back!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Were there many (any?) experienced guys from here at the A4 race yesterday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭DKO

I was fourth on the day and knew it, so was pretty amazed later when i wasnt called out in the top six, thought I was loosing my marbles. Peter Purfields photos later confirmed that I was 4th in the Epic jersey as alluded to in an earlier post. So I am a tad disappointed to say the least.

DKO wrote: »
    I was fourth on the day and knew it, so was pretty amazed later when i wasnt called out in the top six, thought I was loosing my marbles. Peter Purfields photos later confirmed that I was 4th in the Epic jersey as alluded to in an earlier post. So I am a tad disappointed to say the least.

Presume you'll get sorted with the points and any prize due to you? Even so, it's a pain in the arse for you.

Well done, by the way! You deserve some recognition here at least.

Thanks for that. Not sure at all about getting points or prizes. I called the organisers last weekend and haven't heard back yet. We'll see. I did enjoy the race and hope to do some more.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭vigorelli

DKO wrote: »
    Well done, and I'd be gutted if that happened to me.

It was probably a number mixup and the faulty finish line cam didn't help. I'm surprised the guy who was told he had fourth didn't query it. Anyhow, it's worth giving John Nolan a call to get the results corrected.

That was me in 3rd btw

I can totally understand the mix up at the finish, could happen anywhere. I felt like a bit of an idiot though after telling my club mates I was 4th and then hanging around for the results.

I have spoken to John Nolan and am waiting for him to get back. There was a club meeting where he was going to raise the issue, so hopefully they'll be able to sort things out. He did say something about an 'honour result' and results having already gone in to cycling Ireland. Must call him again today and see what happened. Lesson I guess is to check the result immediately.

Well done on 3rd, I think you were still accelerating!

John Nolan came back to me this morning and looks like things are sorted. The club has sent in revised results to CI. Cant ask for more than that. So thanks to John and all the rest in Navan Road Club for your efforts.

Advertisement