Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How has the recession affected you?

Options
13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 44 ekans

i gave n't been able to get the jag or the merc serviced so far this year :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

You can rent a lovely house for roughly €500 pm these days where I live. It was €800 pm 4 years ago. Not living in Dublin helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

I'm better off than ever.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

kingtut wrote: »
    I am neither smug or arrogant, the OP asked for our opinions and I gave mine. Plain and simple :cool: I can't help it if you don't like my current situation.

and there is no need to be rude by calling me a prick :(

you are coming across as a prick tbh. do you think you're the only one who studied and did well in their exams? Lots of people did and many of them are out of a gig. You posts all read very arrogantly, whether or not you meant them too.

My situation has been indifferent. Left a bank job to "follow my dream". less money and struggled through it before been let go:( Luckily i was only off for 3 months and got a job paying pretty much the same, but was a part time position. Worked my way into full time through people leaving etc and now earn nearly 50% more than i was on before being made redundant. Still got a part time delivery job on the side to give me a couple of extra bob each week and help pay off stupid loans i took out in the good times. Recently plugged the biggest hole in my finances tho by breaking up with my girlfriend. You'd be surprised how much that'll save ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Fran1985 wrote: »
    do you think you're the only one who studied and did well in their exams? Lots of people did and many of them are out of a gig. You posts all read very arrogantly, whether or not you meant them too.

No I do not think that and I never said I was the only one who studied and did well in exams (please find a post where I claimed this). My posts are not arrogant in the slightest and plenty of others have said how the recession has benefited them, not just me. :mad:

and there is no need to start using foul language :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I have to listen to people moan about it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Could everyone please stop calling people pricks please. I'm not a fan of banning people so if you can't post without figuring out the basics of not insulting each other then don't bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Could everyone please stop calling people acting the prick please. I'm not a fan of banning people so if you can't post without figuring out the basics of not insulting each other then don't bother.

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

I got off my arse and got a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 queenie1981

prinz wrote: »
    You could try taking them to town without buying them anything. They'll probably survive.

Personally I've never been as well off financially as I am at the moment, but my spending habits have never changed.

ah one of them is a wee bit special and has aspergers so the trauma of saying no in the town is a big no no, i guess i just miss being able to go in and bump into people and have a natter, i guess socially the recession has hit me big time. there is not a whole lot to do that costs 0 and when u have 0 in ur póca theres not alot left to do!
    now compared to other people im ok in reguards that my rent is low however we only have an income of €222 weekly for 2 adults +3 kids as my oh is on a p35 or something like that, so if he cant find work that is what we have to live off so its tough especially when insurance and utilities have to be paid plus its 65 for school each week for my 3 yr old-he was to young to qualify for the preschool grant but needed to be with other children for social reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I got off my arse and got a job.

How's Australia?

My line of work pretty much dried up to the point that it's virtually non-existent.

Thanks to living in Co.Wexford jobs are like hens teeth and I'm not in a position to move anywhere else.The cost of fuel and childcare would wipe out anything I'd make by commuting.
    Cuts have been made,we only buy the essentials.I got my Sky for half price for 12 months which resulted in us having more channels for less money which is a Godsend as we don't go out unless it's a big occasion.A lot of my friends are in exactly the same position,we've all earned our money and payed our own way since a young age but now have less & less to show for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭kenobrien

I lost my job in Feb 2010. I started out on my own in May 2010 and have been tipping away ever since. I won't say it's the best thing that's ever happened to me, but I prefer working for myself. Plus, since my wife had our son two months ago, it means I'm not missing a minute of his early days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

zerks wrote: »
    How's Australia?

My line of work pretty much dried up to the point that it's virtually non-existent.

Thanks to living in Co.Wexford jobs are like hens teeth and I'm not in a position to move anywhere else.The cost of fuel and childcare would wipe out anything I'd make by commuting.
    Cuts have been made,we only buy the essentials.I got my Sky for half price for 12 months which resulted in us having more channels for less money which is a Godsend as we don't go out unless it's a big occasion.A lot of my friends are in exactly the same position,we've all earned our money and payed our own way since a young age but now have less & less to show for it.

I don't live in Australia.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

smash wrote: »
    FYP

The semantic debate is one we've had before. In conclusion, it doesn't really cut the mustard. This kind of thing is actually indicated in the charter, not that it matters really, but the up shot is using loopholes is generally not going to get you out of a situation where you're fundamentally insulting others.
    It's not a counter argument, it doesn't add to the discussion ergo it's just a post in an attempt to make a dig.
    But anyway. I digress. Please PM for clarification.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Babybuff

Have a job but it's nothing special but puts bread on the table although I've been brainstorming a lot over the last few years and I reckon it won't be long before I'm a wealthy inventor of some simple brained idea that sells millions of units.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

i just miss being able to go in and bump into people and have a natter, i guess socially the recession has hit me big time. there is not a whole lot to do that costs 0 and when u have 0 in ur póca theres not alot left to do!

Socially it is a pain in the arse because there are so many people around who would be the first to meet you in a pub or whatever a couple of years ago now but won't do anything like call round to visit your place for tea and a chat or whatever. It's something that annoys me about Ireland. Don't know where you are in the country and I know it's even more difficult with kids but if you could get to Dublin there's quite a lot you can do for €0. Museums, galleries, visit the airport to look at the planes etc.
    Cuts have been made,we only buy the essentials.I got my Sky for half price for 12 months...

Does not compute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Babybuff wrote: »
    Have a job but it's nothing special but puts bread on the table although I've been brainstorming a lot over the last few years and I reckon it won't be long before I'm a wealthy inventor of some simple brained idea that sells millions of units.

can you invent a politician smartening up device that makes politicans think smarter and not feck up economies?

some basic parts to help ya get started on the machine.....

1x hammer - to knock some sense into those politicians
    1x drill - to lobotomise the failed products (to prevent the delboy trotters of the world from selling them at markets)
    1x magnetic shield to prevent corruption
    1x pack of screwdrivers to fix the ones with screws lose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 PACKYAK

I have to use 100 euro notes instead of 500 euro notes as toilet paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭gazzer

Go out once every 2 weeks now instead of the twice a week I used to do up to a couple of years ago, though a lot of that is because we are all married, living with somebody and some have kids etc.

Download tv shows and movies instead of forking out for the cinema or dvd rentals or Sky Movies

Go up to Asda once a month and bulk buy tins of stuff, pasta, rice etc

Shop in Aldi and Lidl for day to day stuff

Dont buy a newspaper any more (over a year now)

No credit cards. Only use a Debit Card.

So all in all we are not too bad now. We have slashed our outgoings and we have a little bit of money each week to put by for emergencies.

When I compare my situation to what it was like when I was a kids in the 80's (never had a holiday, never had a family car, never had trips away and trips to the likes of McDonalds/Cinema where unheard of) I am nowhere as bad. I dont know how my parents managed.. One wage for 6 of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

I havent worked for 3 years and have had to move back in with my aul pair though necessity.

I have nothing. Literally nothing

Hence the username!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 net2mailbox

Recession has affected many people around me.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Does not compute.

I used to buy a daily paper which worked out at about €1.50 a day,that equals the price I pay for my Sky sub.I don't go to the pub for matches anymore and allow myself the luxury of watching football at home.Anyhow if we were stuck with just the FTA channels in our house we'd go mad with nothing on at night but old movies,soaps & reality tv.

Better than the miserable fecker I know who says he can't afford Sky yet is able to hit the pub a couple of times a week to watch the football and down pints.

It's all about prioritising,I went to the pub every weekend but now it's the comfort of my home for the football and I'm saving money by doing that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

Have a job but only because it's good for my sanity. My family would financially be better off if i quit and claimed the dole and medical card but i have to look myself in the mirror every morning so fck that.

Makes me sick and feel powerless when i think of the likes of Ahern on 3k a week pension and i struggle working full time to feed the family.

Also think it's disgusting that someone in the PS can retire on a great big pension and then seek employment full time in the private sector taking a job from someone on the dole.

I guess the recession has destroyed my will to protest for a better country for all of us and our children and that's to my eternal shame.

It's all about prioritising...

Absolutely, and as you've said yourself it's a luxury that you are cutting back elsewhere to afford and that's all good. It just really gets on my tits when people act like stuff like that is an essential as if it's some basic human right they are automatically entitled to... and there is still an awful lot of people floating about with that mentality, whether it's about the pints, the Sky package or the foreign holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 STAR2011

I think if I work its not to much to ask to have a few pound to pay Sky or to have the money for the occasional night out! I work (I am lucky) and earn a good wage, but my husband has not worked in over a year yet we still have the same commitments that we had when he was working! He was also self employed so no social welfare and no access to courses (unless he pays) for retraining - catch 22! He is in Limbo :(

It sickens me to see the amount of money leaving my wage packet every month to pay PAYE, PRSI and the USC, when I am struggling to put food on the table by the end of the month! And I know the righteous among you will say well aren't you getting health care (no - I have VHI), are you getting "free" education for your children (no - I paid €700 for TY this year) etc etc etc!!!!! We all know our taxes (in part) are being used to pay back for the loans that are paying the "Unsecured" bond holders!

And our government have proven themselves to be as incompentant as the last shower! Not one of them is there for any other reason except to feather their own nest and they proved this when the Seanad passed the bill authorising the unvouched expenses to continue! Like asking turkeys to vote for Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

gazzer wrote: »
    Go out once every 2 weeks now instead of the twice a week I used to do up to a couple of years ago, though a lot of that is because we are all married, living with somebody and some have kids etc.

Download tv shows and movies instead of forking out for the cinema or dvd rentals or Sky Movies

Go up to Asda once a month and bulk buy tins of stuff, pasta, rice etc

Shop in Aldi and Lidl for day to day stuff

Dont buy a newspaper any more (over a year now)

No credit cards. Only use a Debit Card.

So all in all we are not too bad now. We have slashed our outgoings and we have a little bit of money each week to put by for emergencies.

When I compare my situation to what it was like when I was a kids in the 80's (never had a holiday, never had a family car, never had trips away and trips to the likes of McDonalds/Cinema where unheard of) I am nowhere as bad. I dont know how my parents managed.. One wage for 6 of us.

Very good points there. I grew up in the 80's and our family had just the one wage coming into the house (when we were lucky). Not complaining, had a great childhood. But for alot of the 80's my Dad was out of work. my best friend saw her Dad twice a year for 3-4 years as he went to Saudi to work in construction as construction jobs here were hard to come by. Mortgage interest rates were atronomical compared with what they are now. My parents came from a time when you saved for something you wanted, you didn't borrow beyond your means for instant gratification and then whinge about not being able to repay it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Lost my job.

Sold my car and other personal belongings.

Moved to Malta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

visit the airport to look at the planes etc.
    visiting Busaras to look at the busses below you now?:pac:

dvpower wrote: »
    visiting Busaras to look at the busses below you now?:pac:

No, I prefer George's Quay for that. You get more variety with the private companies and Bus Éireann using the stops there. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Anyhow if we were stuck with just the FTA channels in our house we'd go mad with nothing on at night but old movies,soaps & reality tv.

Kinda like Sky?:)

Advertisement