Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Run a Diesel Car on Kerosene?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I know a few lads round here used to run older Transporter's, Vento's and Golf's.. They were adding 1l of cooking oil to a tank of kerosene to improve the lubrication..
    Three or four lads were at it all the time and non that I know off had engine problems and it was much cheaper...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,140 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I have seen several car filling with kero north of the border, the colour of this fuel (in the North) looks the same as road diesel to me, clear with a slight yellow tint, so I wonder if you were dipped how would the customs know the difference? without taking a sample for analisys. I haven't tried it in a car but it keeps my house nice and warm!
    So, you think the Customs folks only do a visual check when they dip a vehicle? They use a test kit which will indicate the presence of marker(s), regardless of 'colour'.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Esel wrote: »
    So, you think the Customs folks only do a visual check when they dip a vehicle? They use a test kit which will indicate the presence of marker(s), regardless of 'colour'.

Dont they only do this if the colour is there though? The chemical tracer is virtually impossible to remove, but it still takes time and effort to do it, which is one of the reasons behind the dye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

They don't need to see it at all, they will smell it as soon as they open the tank.

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Dont they only do this if the colour is there though? The chemical tracer is virtually impossible to remove, but it still takes time and effort to do it, which is one of the reasons behind the dye.
    Wouldn't washed diesel have the 'right' colour, though? i.e. colour looks kosher, but the chemical markers are still there - ergo test to detect them.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Esel wrote: »
    Wouldn't washed diesel have the 'right' colour, though? i.e. colour looks kosher, but the chemical markers are still there - ergo test to detect them.
    I dont follow your logic!
    My understanding is they only do the chemical (specific gravity actually isnt it?) test if they have suspicion/reason to. Which is why washed diesel is... washed clear. If they properly tested every single car they pulled regardless of colour of fuel, then there would be [nearly] no reason to go to the time and expense of washing it with harsh chemicals in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

My understanding is they only do the chemical (specific gravity actually isnt it?) test if they have suspicion/reason to. Which is why washed diesel is... washed clear. If they properly tested every single car they pulled regardless of colour of fuel, then there would be [nearly] no reason to go to the time and expense of washing it with harsh chemicals in the first place.

I thought most washed diesel is washed so that the general public will buy it without knowing it's actually agri diesel ?

I thought most washed diesel is washed so that the general public will buy it without knowing it's actually agri diesel ?
    Exactly.
    You should have quoted my post so I knew what I had said! :p

Nothing to do with SG, afaik.

What I meant was that if they decide to test the contents of a tank, it will be done via a kit to identify the presence of the relevant chemical marker(s). They won't just have a goo at the colour of the liquid and leave it at that.

Someone above said the smell is a giveaway, but all I could say is that it does not smell like petrol.... never sucked diesel! :D

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 shainevaldez96

well you can but i have a mercedes-benz 300-d and i had to once because the temp went it to the sub zero's and my block heater glow plugs and tank heater still would not keep the diesel from gelling up but after i had to replace all filter's in the vehicle and it wasn't fun so my suggestion is if you don't have to then don't but you can if it's a must just becareful the fines are pritty high.

No matter how much I prove and prod,
    I cannot quite believe in God;
    But oh, I hope to God that He
    Unswervingly believes in me.
    webdesign Thank you!

Advertisement