Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick Leave Rant

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

To be fair every job is tough, you're doing twice the work with half the pay. The only thing that gets my goat is the paid sick leave they have, Like when Im not and go back to work, not only am I down wages, I also have to sit through "a back to working meeting" regardless of the length of time your out and explain why you were out and do you realise the effect it had on everyone else blah blah blah and be threatened with verbal warnings for having to go to funerals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

I can't begin to tell you what it takes to drag my broken carcass in to work every morning but I do it because I have to fight what life has thrown at me. I would get far more "pulling a sickie" but I'm proud to do the right thing & I know my kids are proud of me for doing it.

Anyone who uses minor temporary illnesses as a weapon against her employers is a tool

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

People will take advantage of any "system" esp in this country.
    Even so , I think its the lesser of 2 evils to have at least semi-generous sick-leave arrangements.
    The long-term damage done to someone by work place stress is huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Ladjacket

Dudess wrote: »
    "Only in Ireland"... do Irish people bitch and moan about the society of which they're part.

And someone actually has a problem with the public sector (because they're not all layabouts) being defended - lol at the bitterness. :D
    As if any of those public sector bashers wouldn't have taken a public sector job back in the day - why take issue with those who simply take a particular job?

not bitching about it Dudess, but just find it very unfair on the majority of hard working souls who are finding it hard to maintain work and family life then to compare it to people who openly admit they are living the high life on the dole and 'sure why would ye work, its great this dole craic'.

Pretty galling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Dudess wrote: »
    "Only in Ireland"... do Irish people bitch and moan about the society of which they're part.

And someone actually has a problem with the public sector (because they're not all layabouts) being defended - lol at the bitterness. :D
    As if any of those public sector bashers wouldn't have taken a public sector job back in the day - why take issue with those who simply take a particular job?

No-one's "taking issue" with taking a particular job. Merely the positive discrimination propagated in favour of those who now occupy those positions - at th expense of the rest of us. Some naive young Jedi call it bashing. Others see it for what it is. Reality.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Ladjacket wrote: »
    OP here again!

To be fair, I did not create this thread for people to moan about any sector or any type of job etc. I arrived at work today in a bad mood after talking to my brother on Skype who is Australia. He left the country with his wife two years ago and whilst in Oz has been graced with a little baby boy, who we have only seen on Skype.

He left because there was no work here. Then to hear someone like the guys described in the original post really wound me up.

But it is not even those people where the blame lies. Every one of us deserve the blame because like it or not, we have allowed it to happen. The people we have elected into govern us have run amok with our finances.

No other country in the world would allow a situation to develop whereby people can sit on their behinds at home and get just as much money as the man/woman who works themselves to the bone 40 hours a week.

Its a disgrace.

Indeed it is. Everyone is to blame? Dunno about that one though. Nothing will change with either SW payments or the PS wage bill while the "Labour" party prop up their FG overlords.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Ladjacket wrote: »
    I work in an office where people are quick to spill their guts on all forms of their lives.

This morning, I overheard a member of staff being asked by their supervisor to train on a new element to her job. Her response was that she would not do it because she is not capable of learning new things and that if she was forced to do it, she would get herself signed off on sick leave. She went on to say how she is in receipt of a medical card and uses it when she has a cold or hay fever etc.

Another girl piped up who has just returned from sick leave last week to say she is sick of the place already and might get herself signed out again as she 'had better craic when she was off'.

What the hell is wrong with people these days!? I earn just over the minimum wage, pay my revenue contributions and the USC, rent, bills food and by the end of the month I am awaiting the next wage packet with baited breath, yet some of these people are leading the high life.

And people wonder why others are emigrating?

Sick of it.

I blame the doctors who are giving sick certs to these people and management who are putting up with it.
    Is there no company doctor they are required to attend? I know some places have counselling sessions if you are of sick on a regular basic or out for a long time.
    Does it affect their pay/increments?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭quietriot

Don't let it get to you, OP. These people end up nowhere in life and then blame everyone else for them being there. They're best off ignored. We'll see how quick they are to go back on benefits when the EU steps in over the budget and the social welfare goes from cushy to poverty for such people.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Ladjacket

what an eventful day!!

just about to head to bed before another day of listening to my fantastic work colleagues moan and whinge about their jobs!

the irony in all of this is that our HR team were under a lot of strain recently due to one of the team being off on maternity, so i said i would help out, pretty much with advertising, compiling and filing the cvs and applications we received etc etc.

The amount of fantastic people that are out there, hugely qualified who are mad for work and willing to work a low wage job but we cant hire them because it means sacking one of these people i mention in the OP.

It would be enough to drive you to sick leave!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭quietriot

Don't stress about it too much, it's only a matter of time before they're made pregnant by someone they just met and go into social housing and out of the workforce so they can be "full time mas".

• Advertisement
Advertisement