Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Well, how did we all do in the Mocks??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭shefellover93

What I have so far, happy enough besides French but I got 80 in the oral and aural so the literary comprehension killed me!

Maths (Ordinary) - B1
    English - B2
    Irish - C2
    French - B3

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭snoreborewhore

English - B1
    Irish - B2
    French - B1
    History - C1 (very disappointed, 1% off a B)
    Biology - B2
    Maths - C1 (Ordinary Level) (again, 1% off a B)
    And I'm still awaiting my Art result!
    I could definately have done better but I'm happy enough with the results :)

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭brownstone

Anyone do the DEBS english paper for their pre? Our had to be sent back... Weren't corrected properly or something. And how do you get an A1 in German? :O

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Rossie17

Guys don't let mocks get you down. It's not about the mock even though it shows you are in good shape if you get on well. It's all about preparing for June. I got 485 in my mocks in 2009 and got 590 in the actual leaving cert. There is always time if you apply yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭angela1711

Yeah how could you get an A1 in German ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

brownstone wrote: »
    Anyone do the DEBS english paper for their pre? Our had to be sent back... Weren't corrected properly or something. And how do you get an A1 in German? :O

I did 2 euro languages college courses, 1 as a student and 1 as an assistant. Pretty sure that's how I got an A1, it changed the standard of my spoken German completely. I think writing a lot helps too, for the comprehensions I never have enough space because I try to write down anything that could be remotely relevant to the question, sometimes the answers they accept are really obvious or weird. In one comprehension you're asked to give 3 details about a man in the text, and one of the answers accepted was "he has a mother". :L I also write about 2 A4 pages for the letter and three quarters of one for the Außerung. Writing a hell of a lot seems to be a good thing, I don't think you can answer the questions in any sort of detail in 160 words or whatever they suggest, more like 500 is necessary. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

finality wrote: »
    I did 2 euro languages college courses, 1 as a student and 1 as an assistant. Pretty sure that's how I got an A1, it changed the standard of my spoken German completely. I think writing a lot helps too, for the comprehensions I never have enough space because I try to write down anything that could be remotely relevant to the question, sometimes the answers they accept are really obvious or weird. In one comprehension you're asked to give 3 details about a man in the text, and one of the answers accepted was "he has a mother". :L I also write about 2 A4 pages for the letter and three quarters of one for the Außerung. Writing a hell of a lot seems to be a good thing, I don't think you can answer the questions in any sort of detail in 160 words or whatever they suggest, more like 500 is necessary. :P

Any suggestions on how to improve on grammar? My teacher is out the whole time and we've nothing done on it... Also what book do you use? I'm getting all my phrases for my letters out of Achtung Deutsch but it doesn't seem to have a lot of phrases on some topics.

So far I got 82 in German and the rest haven't came back yet =P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Any suggestions on how to improve on grammar? My teacher is out the whole time and we've nothing done on it... Also what book do you use? I'm getting all my phrases for my letters out of Achtung Deutsch but it doesn't seem to have a lot of phrases on some topics.

So far I got 82 in German and the rest haven't came back yet =P

We used Deutsch Komplett, but we finished it a few months ago. It was ok, but our teacher gave us extra vocab on sheets on some topics.
    For grammar, do you know which prepositions take which case, and what the word for 'the' changes to in every case? That's a big thing. People tend to find relative pronouns hard too, practise helps with them. Does your book have grammar exercises? Repeating those helps to sort of drill it into you. You could also go through grammar sections in the exam papers and check them with the marking scheme. If there's something specific you get stuck with or anything like that you can pm me if you like and I might be able to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

finality wrote: »
    We used Deutsch Komplett, but we finished it a few months ago. It was ok, but our teacher gave us extra vocab on sheets on some topics.
    For grammar, do you know which prepositions take which case, and what the word for 'the' changes to in every case? That's a big thing. People tend to find relative pronouns hard too, practise helps with them. Does your book have grammar exercises? Repeating those helps to sort of drill it into you. You could also go through grammar sections in the exam papers and check them with the marking scheme. If there's something specific you get stuck with or anything like that you can pm me if you like and I might be able to help.

Ok thanks very much for that finality =) I think the book has a few grammar exercises and it mighn't be a bad idea to do a few out of the exam papers =P

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Reprazent

C3 - English
    D1 - maths
    E2 - Spanish
    E2 - accounting

Haven't got the rest back.. I don't know what happened I studied hard enough and I did not think I did to bad in Spanish maths or English and I nee 450 in June I nearly lost it coming out of class.. Hopefully my geo and business results shape up I thought they were easy tests but then again I though English and maths were to.. Ive repeated 5th year I would rather die then repeat again I'm in seriously bad form here :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Reprazent wrote: »
    C3 - English
    D1 - maths
    E2 - Spanish
    E2 - accounting

Haven't got the rest back.. I don't know what happened I studied hard enough and I did not think I did to bad in Spanish maths or English and I nee 450 in June I nearly lost it coming out of class.. Hopefully my geo and business results shape up I thought they were easy tests but then again I though English and maths were to.. Ive repeated 5th year I would rather die then repeat again I'm in seriously bad form here :/

You've looooads of time to work on them, don't let poor results get you down, I'm expecting an NG in Chemistry and an E in maths! What's an E2 though?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

You've looooads of time to work on them, don't let poor results get you down, I'm expecting an NG in Chemistry and an E in maths! What's an E2 though?
    There's no such thing as an E2 I don't think. It's D3, E, F. There's no subsections of failed grades.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭_pure_mule_

Got Hl Irish back today.. Got 81, was a bit dies appointed considering I was going for an a1 but ah well! June is the 1 that counts:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Guysim1993

B1 - Art (worked really hard for an A!)
    B2 - Maths
    B2 - Irish
    C2 - English
    C2 - Business
    C3 - German
    Still need to get Biology back I hoping for at least a B2

Maths and Irish are Ordinary Level, so I have 315 so far, and I'm hoping to get at least a B2 in Biology, so I'll nearly have 400. I'm aiming for 430-ish in June, not too worried about my results, since I spent a lot of my time making my Portfolio for Limerick School of Art and Design. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Reprazent

There's no such thing as an E2 I don't think. It's D3, E, F. There's no subsections of failed grades.

Fair enough my bad, still a fail though! I got my geography results back though today and lightened my spirits got a B1. I say I just got to stop being negative and turn into a hermit from here till June!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 sh1994

shazzyshaz wrote: »
    ya i got 455 in my mocks, and am hopeful to get 510/520 in June!! Totally ppossible for all g'luck!:D
    im the same as you dude! i really need 515 and i got 455 in the mocks :p is it possible do you think??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

sh1994 wrote: »
    im the same as you dude! i really need 515 and i got 455 in the mocks :p is it possible do you think??

Moved into the more recent mocks thread ;) Please don't dig up threads started in 2007! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9 StayFrosty

any wan got the links to the marking schemes ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭BL1993

Higher

Chemistry - A1
    Maths - A1
    Biology - A1
    Physics - A1
    Applied Maths - A1
    English - B3

Ordinary

French - A1
    Irish - B3

I hope I can replicate this for my leaving cert. I'm over the moon. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

For those of you worried about your mock results:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjdswhIupxjadGE0ajFfdk5heFB6R2FaU1lXendBeEE&pli=1#gid=2

I started that study last year to see the general trend (And reassure myself :p). Most people will go up so don't worry if you haven't done as well as you think you could have in the mocks. Some people have went up (And infrequently down) by a huge number of points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

For those of you worried about your mock results:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjdswhIupxjadGE0ajFfdk5heFB6R2FaU1lXendBeEE&pli=1#gid=2

I started that study last year to see the general trend (And reassure myself :p). Most people will go up so don't worry if you haven't done as well as you think you could have in the mocks. Some people have went up (And infrequently down) by a huge number of points.

I'm sorry but theres no way the average leaving cert points is 475.It'd be much closer to 350 or even 375 I would think.An average of 475 means most people are getting B2's and B1's and that just doesn't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

StayFrosty wrote: »
    any wan got the links to the marking schemes ??

Here! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

Chavways wrote: »
    I'm sorry but theres no way the average leaving cert points is 475.It'd be much closer to 350 or even 375 I would think.An average of 475 means most people are getting B2's and B1's and that just doesn't happen.

I'm assuming that's of the people who submitted their results not an overall average of the country.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

Yeah I heard its around 320. Those estimates must be from boardsies and lets face it, people on boards are generally not the types to get 320 :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I'm aware. This is a boards.ie study for boards members who (For some unknown reason) happen to be higher achievers when compared to the rest of the cohort. Also, you have to bear in mind that the sample size is fairly small.

In any case, the actual points achieved isn't what's really being looked at. The point of this survey is to see the general trend in differences between mock points and actual points.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

That was a survey done on Boards.ie by Partyatmygaff.
    So members here appear to be above the national average, of course 475 isn't the national average.

Really good survey btw and interesting too.
    One person trebled their points.:cool:
    One person Fell from 600 to 580.:(
    And one got 600 and 600 again:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

I'm aware. This is a boards.ie study for boards members who (For some unknown reason) happen to be higher achievers when compared to the rest of the cohort. Also, you have to bear in mind that the sample size is fairly small.

In any case, the actual points achieved isn't what's really being looked at. The point of this survey is to see the general trend in differences between mock points and actual points.

Sorry my bad.If thats the case every teenager in the country should join Boards and within a few years exam results will skyrocket.Won't cost the government a penny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

I've conducted a series of Bernoulli trials and I'm positive I'm going to drop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭galwaymusic

I have 355 so far and waiting for my full art result. Fair enough for me anyways. Happy enough but would love 400+.
    I know I can do it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

I have 355 so far and waiting for my full art result. Fair enough for me anyways. Happy enough but would love 400+.
    I know I can do it!
    Maith thú! ;)..

In my case i'm still waiting on my results. My French teacher got really angry that they weren't back today rang DEB and gave out sh** to them! :P

Anyway, off to try and understand the brilliant mind of the one and only Thomas Kinsella!

Advertisement