Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US 2012 Presidential Election Polls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭nagilum2

The numbers may be swinging back a bit for Obama...

http://www.tnr.com/blog/electionate/108344/ominous-sign-romney-in-todays-gallup-number
    While the twitter-verse was ablaze with the news that Romney seized the lead in Gallup's tracker of likely voters, the underlying data hinted at troubling news for Romney. After making big gains among registered voters following the debates, Gallup's most recent days of tracking have shown a shift back in the president's direction, with Obama returning to pre-debate levels.

r0gbcixd4ua-jqxkv_laow.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

nagilum2 wrote: »
    The numbers may be swinging back a bit for Obama...

I figured the Obama Campaign would grab hold of the most important subject in the debate and play the Big Bird comment effectively. America's saved! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ozymandius2011

nagilum2 wrote: »
    Unfortunatrly for Obama, Likely Voters are what counts and in the US, "Registered voters" are always pro-Democrat but not enough of them e.g. poor, minority voters, actually turn out to make the RV figures come to pass at the ballot box.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Mjollnir

jank wrote: »
    The man is clearly biased, you only have to look at the last sentence

If Krugman wants to attack Republicans then that's fine, but to do it with the mask that he is a moderate that only looks at things from a cold hard numeric economic point of view is laughable.

Again, you seem incapable of addressing what the man has said in regards to the issue at hand.

I'm not addressing whether you happen to think he's not a moderate; I was addressing his statements regarding the likelihood of 'fudged' numbers.

Sorry that doesn't fit what you want to make this about.

A little help in trying to understand these crazy numbers in some of the most recent polls. Basically it can be described in one word… Garbage!

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/opinion/opedcolumnists/the_day_polling_died_avC02WOQrbvvohrTLZwgAI

• Advertisement

Obama +4 in Ohio CNN poll. +6 in New Hampshire. Behind in the popular vote by 0.7% on RCP, but still ahead 294-244 in the Electoral College. So a real possibility of Obama holding on because of the latter despite losing the former. The GOP would go ballistic but it would be sweet-revenge for 12 yrs ago. Obama is outspending Romney 2-1 in the swing states after all.

Also the "right/wrong track" numbers are starting to resemble those of 2004 when Bush was re-elected, with the RCP average at 56% saying wrong-track. It was 55% during the 2004 election.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

A cautionary reflection regarding telephone polling error, especially polling that disproportionately uses automated messages to landlines in the age of American survey saturation, and where call screening is common, and mobiles are almost ubiquitous in America:

dewey.jpg

Black Swan wrote: »
    A cautionary reflection regarding telephone polling error, especially polling that disproportionately uses automated messages to landlines in the age of American survey saturation, and where call screening is common, and mobiles are almost ubiquitous in America:

dewey.jpg
    Well I know Rasmussen and Gallup don't poll cellphone owners but Quinnipiac/CBS-NYT/NBC do. An estimated 1/3rd of Americans don't have landlines.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Another cautionary note from the NY Post regarding potential telephone survey bias:
    The key hidden fact is that fewer than one in 10 respond to those who try to poll them.

People who screen their calls, hang up on people they don’t know or end the survey because they don’t have time to take it make up more than 90 percent of those phoned by pollsters.

Rasmussen polls with small Obama leads today: Pennsylvania: 51-46, Wisconsin 49-47 and New Hampshire: 48-48. There is a UNT poll from Florida with a 4% Obama lead, but it was taken on 1-7th Oct so it's about half pre-debate polling.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Mjollnir

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

It's irrelevant that she's republican. She is, in fact, a dumb nut job, regardless of her transparently manufactured political positions, statements and career.

No one's asking you to like it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

FYI, I was referring to the choice made in the Democratic primaries to support Barack Obama over Hillary Clinton. But good on you for never passing up an opportunity to call a Republican a "dumb nut job."[/Quote]

Are you seriously arguing in favour of Palin? Seriously?

The vast majority of GOP elected officials are not nut jobs nor dumb. Sarah Palin is without doubt both.

Good on you for defending a dumb nut job.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

I dont think he is defending that Plain isnt a "nut job", just that there are also plenty of Democrat "nut jobs" out there too. As soon as you use insulting language to describe some one it lowers the tone of the converstation immediately. So maybe save the insults.

http://news.investors.com/special-report/508415-ibdtipp-poll.aspx

Interesting demographic breakdown in this one. Not sure I've seen these breakdowns in other polls before.

There are a few figures that the President should worry about. A democratic president polling under 50% (albeit with a large number of undecideds) in the Jewish vote probably means Florida will go to Romney. He's currently losing 9% of the voters who voted for him in 2008, while capturing only 2% of the prior McCain voters, and he's losing independents overall by a 20 point margin.
    OVERALL

Obama 43.7%
    Romney 48.7%
    Not Sure 6.1%

PARTY
    Democrats
    Obama 86%
    Romney 7%
    Not Sure 5%

Republicans
    Obama 3%
    Romney 95%
    Not Sure 1%

Ind./Other
    Obama 34%
    Romney 54%
    Not Sure 12%

RELIGION
    Protestant
    Obama 35%
    Romney 60%
    Not Sure 5%
    Catholic
    Obama 43%
    Romney 46%
    Not Sure 6%
    Other Christian
    Obama 40%
    Romney 56%
    Not Sure 3%
    Jewish*
    Obama 47%
    Romney 25%
    Not Sure 28%

Other*
    Obama 51%
    Romney 36%
    Not Sure 11%
    None
    Obama 67%
    Romney 27%
    Not Sure 5%

2008 VOTE
    Obama
    Obama 83%
    Romney 9%
    Not Sure 8%
    McCain
    Obama 2%
    Romney 94%
    Not Sure 4%

A little humor on polls and pollsters from Stweart and Colbert. The Stweart clip had me laughing.
    http://video.ca.msn.com/watch/video/jon-stewart-colbert-have-a-laugh-at-polls-and-pollsters/17yozdcgs?from=

It seems Gallup might just have succumbed to pressure from the left regarding its polls, and has decided to changes it’s methodological approach to polling elections just five short weeks before the election, and with the President falling in the polls. And now Barack Obama has a much higher job approval rating because of it… surprise surprise.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/morning-jay-politics-and-gallup-poll_654143.html

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

jank wrote: »
    I dont think he is defending that Plain isnt a "nut job", just that there are also plenty of Democrat "nut jobs" out there too. As soon as you use insulting language to describe some one it lowers the tone of the converstation immediately. So maybe save the insults.

Well I think Permabear should make that point clear if that's what he meant, rather that being vague as usual.

IMO Saying the people of the USA were fooled by the smooth talking Obama lowered the tone. He basically called a large section of the population idiots for not seeing through Obama. This is a common theme on here for any of the right leaning posters. It's irks me greatly. Given the creationism, anti intellectualism, climate change denial etc. that goes on within the GOP it's a bit rich. I don't write off the majority as dumb, I just feel they're misguided.

My point, again, was that the majority of Americans saw that Pailn was a nut job and that's what gave Obama such a wide margin of victory.

The reason he beat Hilary in the primaries? She's not very likeable. Don't get me wrong, she's extremely intelligent and a capable politician, but she has a very low likeability factor.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Thursdays polls:

ocober11th.png

The RCP average continues to creep up in favour of Romney:
    Romney = 47.4
    Obama = 46.1
    Spread = +1.3 Romney

Given the earlier cautions about telephone polling, it would appear that the Obama lead for months across most polls has disappeared as the result of the 1st presidential debate, now replaced by a small trend favouring Romney. Should this Romney polling trend continue and grow until 6 November, there is a possibility of a repeat of the JFK/Nixon voter decision all based upon this one event.

• Advertisement

Black Swan wrote: »
    The RCP average continues to creep up in favour of Romney:
    Romney = 47.4
    Obama = 46.1
    Spread = +1.3 Romney

Given the earlier cautions about telephone polling, it would appear that the Obama lead for months across most polls has disappeared as the result of the 1st presidential debate, now replaced by a small trend favouring Romney. Should this Romney polling trend continue and grow until 6 November, there is a possibility of a repeat of the JFK/Nixon voter decision all based upon this one event.
    But it's the Electoral College that matters so it's equally possible that Obama could be re-elected by winning the E.C. despite losing the popular vote, as with Bush in 2000. He is holding onto razor thin leads in many swing states.

But it's the Electoral College that matters so it's equally possible that Obama could be re-elected by winning the E.C. despite losing the popular vote, as with Bush in 2000. He is holding onto razor thin leads in many swing states.

Big shake up there also since the debate... with Obama now way down to 201 electoral votes between the Safes, Likelys, and Leans; and Romney holding at 181 with the same. The moves of WI, MI, NH, PA, OH now puts the toss ups at 156. And 270 being the magic number.
    http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2012/president/2012_elections_electoral_college_map.html

I notice that Paddy Power now has the odds for Romney at 15/8. Anyone take my advice and bet on him when the payouts were really strong?

Obama still leads 294-244 in the RCP E.C. on the "no toss-ups" map.

Obama is doing better in the electoral college estimations than he is in the nationwide polling.

He has a pretty solid firewall with his portfolio of states, and he'd probably have to lose the popular by about 1% or so to lose in the electoral collage.

There is a very real, but small, possibility that he could well win the election while losing the popular vote, because Romney's path to 271 is a lot tougher than Obama's. It would certainly make it interesting to have different winners of the electoral college and popular vote in two of the last four general elections.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Here's a nice page that makes it easy to see the balance of the electoral college votes:

http://elections.huffingtonpost.com/2012/romney-vs-obama-electoral-map

• Registered Users Posts: 36,158 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Obama is in major trouble. Slipped to 61 cents on the dollar on InTrade and 62% in Nate Silver's model. It's a massive downward trend over a two week stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Obama is in major trouble. Slipped to 61 cents on the dollar on InTrade and 62% in Nate Silver's model. It's a massive downward trend over a two week stretch.

Well, if we're going to get into Nate's forecast, Obama dipped as low as 61.1% chance of winning the election on Friday to go up a noticeable bit to 62.9% on Saturday. It may be a blip in a downward trend; it may also be a reaction to Biden's strong performance in the Veep debate (whether some people liked it or not is immaterial - even his worst enemies acknowledged it was effective).

At this stage, it's all about momentum. If Romney has started an irrevocable switch in the national psyche then the momentum will build on itself like a snowball heading downhill, picking up mass and speed on the way.

If Biden managed to puncture the bubble by pointing out all the holes and blank spaces in the Romney/Ryan platform, then it could be that Romney has peaked. Obama needs to give the performance of his life on Tuesday which worries me slightly as he's not really an aggressive performer.

All eyes on the Town Hall Debate and the snap polls after.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

I watch Fareed Zakaria every Sunday... if ya don't know it it's basically one guys opinion about the world based on topical events with a little talk show/round table element to it... I wouldn't say it's very partisan on average even though it's on that awful channel CNN but it would probably be considered pro democrat as far his/Fareed's stance... in general... even though he's a self confessed centrist and a genuinely highly respected intellect. Anyway, today he spoke a bit about the rift between Republicans when it comes to foreign policy especially concerning the mid east. It's a major issue and will influence how the rest of this circus plays out so I'd recommend finding the episode and checking it out. Fareed Zakaria GPS CNN I think 13:00 and 21:00 (so it's on tonight if you wana catch it.

Essentially major republican figures are in abject disagreement about the most central and topical foreign policy piece likely to be highlighted on Tuesday's debate.

Mark200 wrote: »
    Here's a nice page that makes it easy to see the balance of the electoral college votes:

http://elections.huffingtonpost.com/2012/romney-vs-obama-electoral-map
    Some holes in the map is that they don't take account for Nebraska and Maine splitting their votes by Congressional district which they do. Obama is behind Romney about 5% in Maine's 2nd Congressional district in part because the GOP legislature redistricted it to remove Democratic-leaning areas from it. So ironically, Maine could put Romney over the top.

• Advertisement

The RCP popular vote is now tied at 47.3 each.

More state polls:

Iowa: 48-48 (ARG)
    NC (PPP)*: Romney leads 49-47
    Virginia (ARG): Romney leads 48-47
    Colorado (Gravis): Obama leads 48-46

* Dem pollster

Advertisement