Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Liberty hall be demolished and be replaced by a monstrosity?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

As the only reasonably high building in Dublin I would advocate it stays. Why replace it, build more highrise next to it if anything. Dublin badly needs to go up instead of continually spreading out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Blisterman wrote: »
    Incidentally is there really much of a difference between what's there already and what they're proposing? It's just a slightly wider box.

Compare the proportions to existing buildings, it's much taller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

As the only reasonably high building in Dublin I would advocate it stays. Why replace it, build more highrise next to it if anything. Dublin badly needs to go up instead of continually spreading out.

I agree, but why not use the 30+ storey building at the point which already has foundations built?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Badly worded poll. The replacement is far from a montrosity.

I sometimes wonder are people not willing to see what is right in front of them. Liberty Hall is a disgrace and always has been. It is a dump inside and out and has zero redeeming features. Some want it to be protected! Do they also want Hawkins House protected?

We can go through ABP's decision and dismantle all their points for their disgraceful decision. The building is not economically viable. Replacing it would provide much needed jobs. Its a win win for everyone. Unfortunately the small mindedness is still prevalent in our city.

Dublin is a capital city which actually does justify skyscrapers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Given the possible consequences that Global Warming may have for the Docklands - something that has been completely ignored AFAIK - siting anything else down there would be daft. But then again may Ireland's neutrality will save us from Global Warming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Bertser

As long as they get rid of that horrible roof, I'll be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    Badly worded poll. The replacement is far from a montrosity.

I sometimes wonder are people not willing to see what is right in front of them. Liberty Hall is a disgrace and always has been. It is a dump inside and out and has zero redeeming features. Some want it to be protected! Do they also want Hawkins House protected?

Out of interest, what would you say the redeeming features of the proposed replacement are?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

MarkMc wrote: »
    tbh I'm beginning to change my opinion on this. Don't get me wrong, I wan't to see Liberty Hall gone, but maybe confining tall buildings to the Docklands wouldn't be the worst idea.

I'd love to see a new Abbey theatre on Eden Quay as part of a complete redevelopment (low rise) of that block
    I actually agree that high rise should be confined to the docklands. I just don't like the rationale for objecting to this building in general as it hinders even this type of development in the docklands IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Blisterman wrote: »
    Out of interest, what would you say the redeeming features of the proposed replacement are?

"The new Liberty Hall, designed by Gilroy McMahon, would include new offices, a public heritage centre, café, theatre and a “skydeck” viewing facility which would provide views across the city."

Obviously visually it would have been a vast improvement. If you have ever been inside the building you will see how poky and unfir for use it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Bertser wrote: »

I would have thought that the 'horrible' roof was the only positive feature of the original design. :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Bertser wrote: »

Replace the roof with this

the-all-seeing-eye_1_-217x240.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Knock it down, combine the new building with The Pint next door. Instant Heavy Metal Emporium that will draw visitors from all over the world. SIPTU becomes a Metal promotions company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭bobin fudge

id like to see a nice dr quirkeys there

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

id like to see a nice dr quirkeys there
    Thanks is for the literal lol you gave me. Well played.

Advertisement