Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview channels coming to UPC [Merged - all RTÉ Two HD on UPC queries here]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 jackindub

Hope they just move bbc hd to ch139 beside BBC1 HD. But doubt we'll find out till Thursday knowing upc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

jackindub wrote: »
    Hope they just move bbc hd to ch139 beside BBC1 HD. But doubt we'll find out till Thursday knowing upc.

Believe they just tweeted that it will indeed be moving to 139

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Virgin Media: Jason

Here you go guys. Official confirmation.

RTE One+1 – EPG 107 – available today
    RTETwo HD - EPG 135 – available Thursday 15th March
    RTEjr – EPG 600 – available Thursday 15th March
    BBC HD moving to 139 on Thursday 15th March

Regards

Jason

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

600's an odd one - the Info TV channel is the only other channel that's on x00. Does avoid another renumbering though, at least for the moment. (I take it RTÉ News Now, when it eventually arrives, will be on 200?).

Now the logical thing to do would for 601 to become TRTÉ only. But TRTÉ seems to have become the poorer relation of RTÉ's children's services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭timesnap

Why is it being dropped?

Part of the cutbacks forced on the BBC,i think it would already be gone only they want to keep their options open to have as many outlets as possible for Olympic coverage.
    shame that it will go as it is in effect a separate channel.
    BBC2 HD sounds like a real retro-grade step.

All good news from UPC today,added to the fact that they negotiated the return of the ITV's.
    kudos to them for fighting their corner with Sky always trying in every way to frustrate cable operators.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭Infoanon

icdg wrote: »
    600's an odd one - the Info TV channel is the only other channel that's on x00. Does avoid another renumbering though, at least for the moment. (I take it RTÉ News Now, when it eventually arrives, will be on 200?).

Now the logical thing to do would for 601 to become TRTÉ only. But TRTÉ seems to have become the poorer relation of RTÉ's children's services.

Logic doesn't come into it ! - TRTE should be on 601 - the current 601 is just an additional relay of RTE2.

But why move BBC HD to make way for RTE2HD - and if you are going to make this change (RTE Benefits from it...) why not future proof and switch BBC1 HD to 139 and put BBCHD on 140.

Will RTE2HD be available to non HD subscribers - ie have a UPC HD Box but not a sub - since the channel is FTA....??

Infoanon wrote: »
    But why move BBC HD to make way for RTE2HD
    For what it is worth a UPC rep once told me the reason Setanta got two places on the EPG was because they argued that they were an Irish channel as well as a sports channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

So thats the last of the 6 new channels we were supposed to be getting...

Jokers

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

icdg wrote: »

I would say that TRTÉ will just move in with RTE Two unless RTÉ are planning TRTÉ to air from 7am to 5:30pm. I would say that Two Tube will get more hours over the next few years, and that RTÉ will eventually drop that brand.

Or else 601 becomes TRTÉ/TWO TUBE when ASO happens for terrestrial viewers.

Interesting to see City Channel gone :( or :) ??? (Why not put RTÉ NN on before RTÉ 1+1 or even give that blank portion over to Community TV).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

do you have to pay extra for RTE Two HD even though it's free on soarview??

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Advertisement

astrofluff wrote: »
    do you have to pay extra for RTE Two HD even though it's free on soarview??

You shouldn't have to, suppose it depends if you have a HD box are they different to standard UPC boxes?

Elmo wrote: »
    (Why not put RTÉ NN on before RTÉ 1+1 or even give that blank portion over to Community TV).
    I think it makes sense to put RTE1+1 on 107,isn't it following the same logic as freesat,i.e putting homegrown channels and their +1's first on the EPG?
    the dubious one in the entertainment section is Setanta IMO(but they had a lot more clout when they reached that deal:))
    i hope NN intends to become a better service than it is now,needs much more content to be worth a spot.
    BTW i am no UPC hugger,but we could throw them a little crumb of appreciation just the odd time,UPC Jason will lose heart otherwise!:D

timesnap wrote: »
    I think it makes sense to put RTE1+1 on 107,isn't it following the same logic as freesat,i.e putting homegrown channels and their +1's first on the EPG?
    the dubious one in the entertainment section is Setanta IMO(but they had a lot more clout when they reached that deal:))
    i hope NN intends to become a better service than it is now,needs much more content to be worth a spot.
    BTW i am no UPC hugger,but we could throw them a little crumb of appreciation just the odd time,UPC Jason will lose heart otherwise!:D

If they properly re-schedule RTÉ NN daytime with repeats and some extra news, plus the live press release which they provide it could easily appear before RTÉ 1+1 to begin with.

My issue with RTÉ One +1 so far up it doesn't allow for a different schedule service to appear on 107 should it do so. OTV could even be placed before RTÉ 1+1. But I am sure RTÉ would state that it would disrupt their brand :rolleyes:

I suppose we should be greatful that the repeat loop that was City Channel is gone, imagine RTÉ NN isn't worth a slot but CC was????

If they properly re-schedule RTÉ NN daytime with repeats and some extra news, plus the live press release which they provide it could easily appear before RTÉ 1+1 to begin with.
    But NN really belongs in the 200's.
    just as i argue that Setanta Ireland should only belong in the 400's.
    that would free up 105,have to wonder what 119 and 121 are being reserved for?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Epg is in a complete mess I think, so many channels being repeated all over the place(setanta,Trte). Also why on earth is RTE 2 HD getting such a bad epg position, why can't they not just replace the sd channel and have it on 102 for people with HD boxes, same with BBC One HD.

But NN really belongs in the 200's.
    just as i argue that Setanta Ireland should only belong in the 400's.
    that would free up 105,have to wonder what 119 and 121 are being reserved for?:confused:

To begin with as UPC don't see it as much of a channel, it could be placed on 107 before RTÉ 1+1 to avoid the blank screen for the initial period. Then moved to 201.

Setanta as an Irish channel should be placed on 105, but they need to change to become more of a Men's entertainment channel with live sports.
    Epg is in a complete mess I think, so many channels being repeated all over the place(setanta,Trte). Also why on earth is RTE 2 HD getting such a bad epg position, why can't they not just replace the sd channel and have it on 102 for people with HD boxes, same with BBC One HD.

UPC might have to replace those SD boxes with HD if they put BBC One HD and RTÉ TWO HD in their current SD spots. I don't know.

I can see reasons why RTÉ want TRTÉ close to other Children's channels. The same can be said for Setanta wanting to be on 401 beside Sports channels and 105 beside Irish channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭michaelduignan

You shouldn't have to, suppose it depends if you have a HD box are they different to standard UPC boxes?

Yes I have a standard UPC box. Paying 25 a month for digital plus tv. Speaking to a UPC rep yesterday - was told i could get rte2 hd by paying 5 euro extra a month.

For this 5 euro a month you get bbc hd and setanta hd also i think.

I presume you need a new box though as standard box connects to tv with SCART lead not HDMI cable.

I have saorview decoder built into my tv though so will get rte2 hd for free anyway.

To begin with as UPC don't see it as much of a channel, it could be placed on 107 before RTÉ 1+1 to avoid the blank screen for the initial period. Then moved to 201.

Setanta as an Irish channel should be placed on 105, but they need to change to become more of a Men's entertainment channel with live sports.

UPC might have to replace those SD boxes with HD if they put BBC One HD and RTÉ TWO HD in their current SD spots. I don't know.

I can see reasons why RTÉ want TRTÉ close to other Children's channels. The same can be said for Setanta wanting to be on 401 beside Sports channels and 105 beside Irish channels.
    Elmo your argument does not compute:)
    if you agree that Setanta should be in entertainment and sports because it is irish then NN should be in the 100's and the 200's also,same for trte etc .
    again using freesat as a comparison,
    BBC put its news channels in the news section.
    ITV put CITV into the childrens section.
    CBBC and Cbeebies are also in the childrens section.
    it is crazy to do otherwise.

The UPC EPG has not been helped by channels altering their names for no good reason either.

Elmo your argument does not compute:)
    if you agree that Setanta should be in entertainment and sports because it is irish then NN should be in the 100's and the 200's also,same for trte etc .
    again using freesat as a comparison,
    BBC put its news channels in the news section.
    ITV put CITV into the childrens section.
    CBBC and Cbeebies are also in the childrens section.
    it is crazy to do otherwise.

The UPC EPG has not been helped by channels altering their names for no good reason either.

There are more English Channels, I can see Setanta's point of view. I never said it made sense. It is a very difficult market and Setanta prob just maintain their 0.4% audience share because of their UPC deal, but like City Channel they have to remember it is not just about an EPG slot. proved in Setanta case by Sky Sports News' 1% share of the audience. (Both have a similar audience reach).

RTÉ and TG4 use 601 and 602 so as to provide their children's programming with other children's stations. Setanta are an Irish channel therefore they feel that it would be better for them to be with the other Irish services. You may not understand that point of view, but that is their point of view.

As for RTÉ NN and RTÉjr I would be more inclined to think they should be just at the top of their genre's i.e. 200/201 for NN and 600/601 for Jr, however if a new Irish music channel appeared I'd have no problem with that channel being made available in the 100s and the 700s.

Though as I said Setanta really need to change their schedule to attract audiences. EPG should not matter.

Hi michaelduignan

I can confirm that anybody that has a HD capable box from UPC, will receive RTE2 HD as part of their standard subscription, a HD subscription is not required.

Regards

Jason
    Yes I have a standard UPC box. Paying 25 a month for digital plus tv. Speaking to a UPC rep yesterday - was told i could get rte2 hd by paying 5 euro extra a month.

For this 5 euro a month you get bbc hd and setanta hd also i think.

I presume you need a new box though as standard box connects to tv with SCART lead not HDMI cable.

I have saorview decoder built into my tv though so will get rte2 hd for free anyway.

• Advertisement

UPC: Jason wrote: »
    Hi michaelduignan

I can confirm that anybody that has a HD capable box from UPC, will receive RTE2 HD as part of their standard subscription, a HD subscription is not required.

Regards

Jason

That's great, if surprising news, although I suspect it will at first benefit very few people as it is relatively recently that non-HD susbcribers have been given HD-capable STBs - as I posted here recently I ordered a PVR and two extra STBs and the extra STBs were HD-capable (though I don't take HD), but the PVR is not. What I suspect may happen though is, once word of this filters out, that UPC customer service may find themselves at the end of requests from non-HD subscribers with HDTVs to swap their old digiboxes for the latest (Pace DCR7111/05) model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Hi michaelduignan

Regards

Jason

Wouldn't want to be.

Now that you finally have it under the must offer rules its now a must carry obligation for UPC under Section 77 of the Broadcasting Act 2009. You cannot charge people for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

It's there. A shame the Dolby Digital doesn't seem to be there (not being seen by amp or displayed on the info button) - similar to the Saorview broadcast.

Is it just a matter of RTE sending a signal/identifier with the broadcast?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭ted1

They only broadcast HD channels in stereo. The hd channel should have proper sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭michaelduignan

Hi michaelduignan

Regards

Jason

Hi Jason,

So is it possible for me to swap my standard UPC box for a HD UPC set top box?

Regards
    Michael

Also to note, RTÉ Junior now on channel 600 and channel 601 now simply named TRTÉ, though its still showing RTÉjr programmes (meaning the RTÉ Two RTÉjr block is now being simulcast on no less then four channels: 102, 135, 600, and 601!!!!).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

STB wrote: »
    Wouldn't want to be.

Now that you finally have it under the must offer rules its now a must carry obligation for UPC under Section 77 of the Broadcasting Act 2009. You cannot charge people for it.
    Exactly. All RTÉ channels must be available on the most basic of packages. (except carrying digital channels on analogue)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭ted1

true, but they may choose to only supply HD boxes to HD subscribers.

Hi michaelduignan

You could order an additional multiroom box, (€5 per month) self install it, and that has a HDMI outlet and will have RTE2HD on it.

If you want a HD + box, you must subscribe to HD.

The best way to do this is to upgrade to HD +,(€5 per month) and move your existing box into another room, making you a HD multiroom (€5 per month) customer. If you do this we waive the HD upgrade charge. (€60 one off charge)

This way you will have the best of both worlds, HD channels and a 320gb recording box. It comes with a HDMI cable too.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Jason
    Hi Jason,

So is it possible for me to swap my standard UPC box for a HD UPC set top box?

Regards
    Michael

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

I'm not getting anything on channel 135, would that indicate I don't have a HD compatible box?

Advertisement