Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hex Edit on Panasonic G10B

Options
  • 24-02-2012 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I carried out the Hex Edit instructions posted here previously on my LCD G10B and all worked perfectly (except for the known audio issues on TV3 and TG4). However more channels have been added since, e.g RTE 1 +1.

I have noticed that there has been very little discussion on this topic in recent months. Is there any reason that I should not repeat the Hex Edit. It goes without saying that I would ensure that I have a hotel back-up before I start.

My signal comes from Collins Barracks

WHL

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Even a hotel backup may not save you if you change something you shouldnt!

Just do as you done the last time. The reason it isnt discussed is due to cold feet and lack of technical ability. If you have done it before, it will be fine. Just follow the instructions.

Its a shame that Panasonic dont just issue a firmware fix. The numbers are too low for justification I am sure. Pity - as a lot of people who dont read technical fora might be saved the purchase of a box.

The glitch will still be their on the audio streams defaulting to narrative on certain channels with manual interaction needed unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭WHL

Thanks STB,

It went fine the first time and I have the instructions that I used then so I'll have another go......

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭WHL

Just to let you know that I carried out the hex edit instructions and all went well

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Niall8100

WHL wrote: »
    Just to let you know that I carried out the hex edit instructions and all went well
    Just wondering are the instructions for the LCD G10B tv that I have the same as the plasma instructions that are on the TG4/TV3 sound issue thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Donegal_TDI

Any chance we could persuade RTE to do a special Panasonic hour some night, where they might revert their transmission stream to what it was before they buggered it up, in order that we could at least tune the channels? Because once the channels are tuned, with the tx stream back to what it is today, the TV's can display the channels perfectly, once the tuning parameters are in memory. I currently have only one stored, RTE+1, and it works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Aepos

Any chance we could persuade RTE to do a special Panasonic hour some night, where they might revert their transmission stream to what it was before they buggered it up, in order that we could at least tune the channels? Because once the channels are tuned, with the tx stream back to what it is today, the TV's can display the channels perfectly, once the tuning parameters are in memory. I currently have only one stored, RTE+1, and it works.

A very good idea. Has anyone a high level contact in RTE TV Engineering to lobby?

Ae

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭maxg

There is a channel editor for Panasonics available.

http://www.setedit.de/SetEdit.php?spr=2&Editor=136

Due to the description it should be possible to add the missing channels.

Thanks maxg

Looks interesting, Have downloaded that software. I'll play around with it and see what happens!!

Ae

I played around with it and it should be possible to modify the svl.db (hotel file) from G10, G15 and V10.
    The older PZ81 and LZD81 are not supported.

maxg wrote: »
    I played around with it and it should be possible to modify the svl.db (hotel file) from G10, G15 and V10.

Hi All, I have contacted Wolfgang the author of SetEdit for Panasonic and sent him info on all the Panasonic DVB Issues especially with the PZ81 and LZD81 Series and a link to the relevant areas of this board.

Perhaps he can help us to solve or work around some of the problems and maybe sell us his software to!

We shall see what happens.

Ae

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭bob11

So the V10 might work ?

Excellent !!

Sure, it should working with a V10.
    Take the svl.db from the hotel_setup folder at the sd card. Open it with setedit. Klick at dvb-t.
    If the Tv range is empty its a bit tricky to get the changes saved. You have to move first a radio channel with the mouse to the tv list. Save it and open it again. After that you can add tv channels via mouse right click. If you are ready move the radio channel back to the radio list and save.
    Exchange the svl.db at the sd card and let the TV write back the whole thing.
    Btw 20 channel changes are possible with the demo version of setedit.

A example for 3rock:

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭bob11

A example for 3rock:

Thanks Maxg ..

Which TV should this example work with ?
    I'm off 3Rock with a 50V10 ..

@bob11
    I didn't find a difference between the supported TV's.
    I you want to play the safe card edit your own svl.db .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

The SVL Database exists in Hotel files on the PZ81/LZD81 range. It is called SVL_file in the Hotel file extracted. It does not have a db extension however like the hotel files generated for G10s. The SVL files on the PZ81s are significantly bigger in file size 1400k.

Set Edit doesn't understand this file even renaming it to the expected db filename (tested).

I have come across a generic java program called Panasonic Viera Channel Editor that apparently understands SVL_file types from Hotel files generated. It seems to have been written by Welle72 on the German hifi forum.

Unfortunately it only does DVB-S. I suspect the SVL file in the PZ81/LZD81 via hotel file is a bin rather than a db file.

Might help Wolfgang.

btw. RE sharing between model ranges. It would be my guess that the models are defined in the model_id.info file, one of the four files in hotel folder.

You could check if the java editor create a tmp.db file. If yes it should be readable via an sqlite database browser. After that you know at least what is inside in the svl_file for the pz81/lzd81..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has gotten anywhere with an LZD81 or PZ81?

I downloaded the software and tried opening the SVL file but it isn't supported as STB has siad.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 G10B

Using this tool I was able to add additional channels added to saorview since the mpeg4 flag was set. I renamed RTENL2 to 3e, as well as adding RTE News now, RTE1 +1, & RTE jr.

There is a small issue when uploading the modified file back to the TV. All the freesat channels were moved to other channels section. So TV needs to rescan for freesat & all the freesat channels need to be removed from other channels. In the end I used editor to delete all non satellite channels & saved file again, uploaded file to tv, then scanned for all freesat channels.

Still have no audio by default on tv3/tg4/3e. All RTE channels audio is fine. It may be coincident that digital text is loadable from all RTE channels only & tv3/tg4/3e don’t have digital text yet. I could not find any option to manually set the audio id for the 3 channels without audio but maybe some of these channels might switch on digital text sometime around 24th October and the lack of audio on these channels might be resolved.

G10B wrote: »
    Using this tool I was able to add additional channels added to saorview since the mpeg4 flag was set. I renamed RTENL2 to 3e, as well as adding RTE News now, RTE1 +1, & RTE jr.

There is a small issue when uploading the modified file back to the TV. All the freesat channels were moved to other channels section. So TV needs to rescan for freesat & all the freesat channels need to be removed from other channels. In the end I used editor to delete all non satellite channels & saved file again, uploaded file to tv, then scanned for all freesat channels.

Still have no audio by default on tv3/tg4/3e. All RTE channels audio is fine. It may be coincident that digital text is loadable from all RTE channels only & tv3/tg4/3e don’t have digital text yet. I could not find any option to manually set the audio id for the 3 channels without audio but maybe some of these channels might switch on digital text sometime around 24th October and the lack of audio on these channels might be resolved.

Hi which Panasonic TV do you have please?

Ae

• Advertisement

see below

Aepos wrote: »
    which Panasonic TV do you have

G10B

Doh! I should have copped on to that from your name. Glad it works for you it's no use to me in it's present form as I have the earlier LZD81 or PZ81 series.

Cheers Ae

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

Which tool did you use could you give a quick guide? RTE are moving the CH on Three Rock next week and I want to try and Avoide using the HEX hack I used this before and all worked well but just incase something goes wrong.

Which tool did you use could you give a quick guide?
    There is a channel editor for Panasonics available.

Due to the description it should be possible to add the missing channels.

A guide may not be required. I had no trouble installing the tool. The only issue I had was freesat channels were dumped in other channels when file uploaded to tv. I was able to work around that issue as described above. If you want to avoid installing the tool I can modify the file I created for new 3rock freq & post link to it here.

Which tool did you use could you give a quick guide? RTE are moving the CH on Three Rock next week and I want to try and Avoide using the HEX hack I used this before and all worked well but just incase something goes wrong.

It is quite easy. Install sededit Panasonic from here:

Put the sd card with the latest hotel files from your pana in the sd card reader at your pc.
    Start setedit and open the svl.db file from the folder at the sd card. Click at dvb-t. Double click at 738.000 in the transponder column. Overwrite the value with 546.000. Click ok. Let save the file. Let write back the files at your panasonic.

A guide may not be required. I had no trouble installing the tool. The only issue I had was freesat channels were dumped in other channels when file uploaded to tv. I was able to work around that issue as described above. If you want to avoid installing the tool I can modify the file I created for new 3rock freq & post link to it here.

Hi thanks for the info if you could put a link up that would be great thanks.

It is quite easy. Install sededit Panasonic from here:

Put the sd card with the latest hotel files from your pana in the sd card reader at your pc.
    Start setedit and open the svl.db file from the folder at the sd card. Click at dvb-t. Double click at 738.000 in the transponder column. Overwrite the value with 546.000. Click ok. Let save the file. Let write back the files at your panasonic.

Thanks for that I will give this a try also

In the end I used editor to delete all non satellite channels & saved file again, uploaded file to tv, then scanned for all freesat channels.

I don't get this part do you not loose all your saorview ch by doing this?

• Advertisement

In the end I used editor to delete all non satellite channels & saved file again, uploaded file to tv, then scanned for all freesat channels.

I don't get this part do you not loose all your saorview ch by doing this?
    Correction to quote above. It should be:- "I used editor to delete all freesat channels"

Three Rock file

Advertisement