Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knocked down

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

kennyb3 wrote: »
    i would never leave the scene without phoning the gardai first and having them come
    I wish you luck with that one. In the Dublin area it's very difficult to get the Gardai to attend an accident between two motor vehicles nevermind a minor incident involving a bike. They generally only attend if a party is seriously injured or if the accident is causing an obstruction on a busy road. Reporting the incident at the nearest Garda Station is quite acceptable (particularly if both parties agree to go together).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

I would report it to the gardai and contact a solicitor. The clothing should be compensated for and as regards the bike, if it's a carbon fibre frame make sure you do a thorough check as there may be some damage, or even a crack that is only visible under very close scrutiny. If it's ok then the scuffed parts should be replaced.
    Glad to hear you weren't too badly hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

.....nevermind a minor incident involving a bike......

I wouldn't call a bicycle and car collision a minor incident, by any means. A scary time for all concerned, injury or no injury.

I would certainly be of the view to report the collision just so there is a record of it. I imagine a large number of bicycle and vehicle collisions go unreported in this country which if they were all reported there may be a stronger campaign for cyclists safety awareness on our roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

I would report as I've been in one car accident and one bike accident in my life and on both occasions I only felt any injuries the day after and the person who knocked me off my bike was told to go on her merry way as I felt fine and the adrenaline was telling me ah shure its grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭griffin100

Report it to the Garda ASAP otherwise it never happened. If you get sorted with the driver then happy days. If you can't agree or if you run up medical expenses which can happen very quickly then you have a record of the event - after you report the accident ask the Garda for a Pulse reference number and keep a note of the Garda no. and if possible their name who took your report. If worse comes to worse and you can't get satisfaction from the driver you can make a submission to the injuries board. You don't need a solicitor to do this nor should you involve one at this stage, they just prolong the process and make it more expensive. If it can't be sorted via the injuries board then you will need a solicitor if you intend to take a civil case against the driver, but that's months away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

LadyTBolt wrote: »
    I wouldn't call a bicycle and car collision a minor incident
    I meant that the outcome was relatively minor in the scale of things that the Gardai deal with daily.

Advertisement