Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Willow Park in Athlone dangerous?

Options
  • 23-02-2012 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi, I'm thinking of moving to Athlone and got some warnings from an agent that the area in Willow Park is somewhat "dangerous" or bad behaved, especially she mentioned Thornberry drive being in such a condition.

Anyone here who lives around there that can confirm/dismiss or give more information?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭tokenv

Yes I did look with google maps but there aren't "people behaviour" overlay options..yet! ;)

I don't care too much about looks, mostly just people being a pain and potential danger to myself or my property.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭tubos

AVOID! AVOID! AVOID!

(although the first road or two may not be too bad!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭veryangryman

tubos wrote: »
    AVOID! AVOID! AVOID!

(although the first road or two may not be too bad!)
    As per above the first couple of streets are ok. Depends on location. Is ideal if your in college there and like to party. For quiet life I would recommend maybe valley court nearby. If you drive then anywhere in monksland or coosan is Better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Leo Dowling

Meadowbrook/Thornberry are the worst of it and they're way up the back. The parts of the estate nearer the entrance are alright, most of the people living there have been there since it was a good area.

That being said, if you have a bit of time on your hands to look then look elsewhere, if you need to go to the college there are plenty of other estates around within walking distance that aren't as much of a circus.

• Advertisement

OP, are you looking to rent or buy. Do you have any preference as regards location?

Sorry for the delay! Thanks for the feedback.

At the moment I'm looking to rent but I was also thinking about the possibility of buying (in case there was ever the chance).

In any case I didn't think it was that localized, I'm actually (thinking of) renting west of there, around Bonavalley.

I don't actually need the college at all, I'm working. I was just wondering because of how the agent was speaking about the place it seemed like there was robbery and the occasional rape every other day.

Is it just about students being retards? That'd be more manageable I guess. In any case if it's that localized it wouldn't even touch the areas I'm looking at for renting.

There are plenty of other places around Bonavalley but I'd recommend you have a look at Ard Ri which is right next to the town on the Bonavalley side. The rents are cheap and a lot of premises were freed up last month with another few due to be freed up soon, so rents really dropped.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Any of the apartments in the centre of town are very nice and prices aren't that bad all. Lived in Irishtown Central for a while before moving to Shannon Weir. Can't complain about either place.

Guys just to clarify, I don't need to be in any place or area of Athlone in particular, I just happened to be looking at that area.

All I need is a place that is 1) quiet 2) safe and 3) covered by internet providers. Possibly within 2km of the Bus Station (or any bus stop on the route to Dublin).

I see you guys mention about certain places having good prices and I was wondering, what do you consider cheap in Athlone as a price range for decent houses/apartments?

cherryghost: funny that you mention that area (Shannon Weir), I was looking at some properties around there. Is it quiet there?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

tokenv wrote: »
    Guys just to clarify, I don't need to be in any place or area of Athlone in particular, I just happened to be looking at that area.

All I need is a place that is 1) quiet 2) safe and 3) covered by internet providers. Possibly within 2km of the Bus Station (or any bus stop on the route to Dublin).

I see you guys mention about certain places having good prices and I was wondering, what do you consider cheap in Athlone as a price range for decent houses/apartments?

cherryghost: funny that you mention that area (Shannon Weir), I was looking at some properties around there. Is it quiet there?

Willow Park was once one of the town's most respectable and finest areas, now, being polite, a dump. Many of the original families left that area for other places along time ago.

No offence to the decent people in the area, but , avoid, if possible.

I was wondering if you guys could provide me with what you believe are good areas (1-2 bedrooms, safe, quiet, internet) along with what you consider decent price ranges for those same areas.

Unless there's already a post with that info.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

Coosan/ballymahon rd area would be my first choice.
    Also Woodville.

Although I doubt there is many 1 or 2 bedroom places in these areas.

You might get 1 or 2 bedroom apt in belhavel in the town centre, or the town centre apartments in the new shopping centre.

Not sure where they do be advertised though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭jamesd

Advertised here: http://www.cityquarter.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Kurz

Would agree with Coosan/Ballymahon road. There are a few places that have apartments in those areas, Monksfeild and Waterville out by the Mill in Monksland are good too. That's if you have a car.

Cityquarter would be alright if you didn't have a car.

I don't have a car but I don't mind walking/biking to do my shopping or other activities. As I said 2km radius from amenities would be totally fine by me.

I'd like to stress though that I want a place that is really quiet because I work from home, which is why I'm avoiding city center as I assume traffic in the area would make it quite noisy.

Yes one problem with Coosan and areas like that is that they only have giant (3+ bedrooms) houses there and thus they get quite expensive (€750+) but I also don't need all of that space given I live alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Kurz

tokenv wrote: »
    I don't have a car but I don't mind walking/biking to do my shopping or other activities. As I said 2km radius from amenities would be totally fine by me.

I'd like to stress though that I want a place that is really quiet because I work from home, which is why I'm avoiding city center as I assume traffic in the area would make it quite noisy.

Yes one problem with Coosan and areas like that is that they only have giant (3+ bedrooms) houses there and thus they get quite expensive (€750+) but I also don't need all of that space given I live alone.

Yeah this is true about Coosan. It's always been quite a nice area so I suppose the prices are up a bit and there aren't a lot of apartments. Monksland isn't really within your area for walking and biking and cityquarter wouldn't be quiet.

More central but not too central would be the likes of Shannon Weir and Bastion Court on the Connaught side. I lived in the area for a while and liked it a lot, there are plenty of apartments with low rents. It is hit and miss in terms of who your neighbours are but that's the same with all apartment places.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,848 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I thought there was a lower level of the Town Centre Carpark exclusively for the apartments?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Willow Park was once one of the town's most respectable and finest areas, now, being polite, a dump. Many of the original families left that area for other places along time ago.

No offence to the decent people in the area, but , avoid, if possible.

Sad, but true

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Eazzah

Personally I would recommend Sarsfield Square. Yes I know some people may say it's bad but I disagree, I've been here all my life and generally most people keep to themselves. The houses are very spacious too, it's around 400 euro a month to rent and you get 3 bedrooms, a bathroom and living room and kitchen. The back gardens are also very big. It would really be a good choice as you are walking distance from everywhere too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭anthonyos

i lived in willow park for 5 months got my car keyed apart from that it was ok but a ruff area there was all sorts going on just full of inbreed scumbags

anthonyos wrote: »
    i lived in willow park for 5 months got my car keyed apart from that it was ok but a ruff area there was all sorts going on just full of inbreed scumbags

Aye you do see some fierce freaks there now. I grew up there and upto circa 2002, it wasnt a bad place at all. Slowly got worse and worse though. I left in 2007 and sadly its worse again these days. Embaressing sometimes to tell people im from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 athlone town

i lived in willow park up to a year ago and never had a problem there,houses at the very back are a disgrace but are after been bought by some fella hoping to put students in(cant see it happen myself for a long time as the place has a VERY bad name)sad as it used to be one of the best estates in the town LONG ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Willow was just being built when my parents moved home from England. They has a deposit ready and were assured there was just the front row of houses being built!

Looking back now its lucky something else came up before they bought there.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭achiman

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    Willow was just being built when my parents moved home from England. They has a deposit ready and were assured there was just the front row of houses being built!

Looking back now its lucky something else came up before they bought there.

Why ?

Why?

1) If principal residence, you are stuck with some of the scummiest characters for the rest of your life. Be prepared to have sleepless nights, witness fighting and have your car wipers removed (happened me). Amongst other things.

2) If your trading up in a few years, you will almost certainly make a loss on the property as the park has such a bad rep

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

silverquay (apartments adjoining radisson hotel) is a pretty good spot. car parking included and management company are good. communal areas are kept spotless.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭roosterman71

silverquay (apartments adjoining radisson hotel) is a pretty good spot. car parking included and management company are good. communal areas are kept spotless.

Not really anything to do with the thread is it??
    Also, isn't there a few "ladies of the night" operating out of there?

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

Not really anything to do with the thread is it??
    Also, isn't there a few "ladies of the night" operating out of there?

op is looking for somewhere to live in athlone. i made a suggestion.

as for the 'ladies of the night'? havent come accross any yet. have you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Don't live there, or have any need to pay them a visit. Been told about them by a few different people though. Apparently there's a couple in Shannon Weir and the new apartments behind there too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement