Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pesto

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    Still... kind of essential I'd say. I use them a lot anyway, on pizzas (be times) and with pasta - fantastic with sauteed cougette balsamic vinegar & tagliatelle. The taste of summer!

They are kinda a unique flavour nut, anyone know where to get them a bit cheaper maybe? I've substituted with cashew nuts in the past.

I've seen vegan pesto in fallon and byrne too, I know meridian also make one but imo it is not nice at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 westkryveggirl

aye, come on, of course that recipe is pesto. maybe not BASIL pesto, but certainly its a pesto! (i wouldnt put coriander and mint together though myself!)

I dont use pinenuts as they are super expensive and often rancid (gone off). Walnuts work great as a substitute, and the ones from lidl are really fresh and good and reasonably priced. Ive used almonds before too.

I usually do a mix of spinach and basil, as basil on its own is too pricey, and basically add the same ingredients that the recipe uses--nuts(walnuts), oil, salt, garlic, lemon juice. fab. add a bit of extra salt in place of the usual cheese.

We've made an amazing one with marjoram before too.

Right now, broadleaf wild garlic is in season too, so if you can find a patch of it and do that with spinach, its fab ( i used hemp oil this time as it was all i had. great with a sprinkle of nutritional yeast too!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

dubsontour wrote: »
    Oh I HATE risotto.. Got it twice in a restaurant. First one was so salty I had to drink pints of water and could still taste the salt the next morning:eek:.. I did complain they apologised but still charged for it on the bill.. Needless to say never went again. My second risotto( which was the only veggie option on the menu) was full of cream and resembled ambrosia creamed rice..
    So not a fan either

:eek: Sounds like you've only ever had poorly made risotto. Proper risotto is pretty good!
    Pine nuts are ridiculously expensive. Some cheaper nut or sunflower seed is good. Mmm love me so basil pesto.

I just bought a 200g box, and 200g is quite a lot of pine nuts, in Dunnes for €5.90.

I also bought some Gran Moravia cheese in Dunnes, which looks pretty much identical to Parmesan. It's made with non-animal rennet and costs €2.99 for 200g, which is actually a bit cheaper than Parmesan.

I'm going to make some pesto with them. And mushroom risotto. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

I also bought some Gran Moravia cheese in Dunnes, which looks pretty much identical to Parmesan. It's made with non-animal rennet and costs €2.99 for 200g, which is actually a bit cheaper than Parmesan.

I'm going to make some pesto with them. And mushroom risotto. :pac:

I had something in cornucopia the other day that had gran moravia in it, I had no clue what it was but it was delicious. thanks!

Just tried a bit there and it tastes to me pretty much identical to Parmesan. It's also a very hard cheese and even comes in the same shape wedge as Parmesan.

One more test to put it through... I'll post about that tomorrow.

• Advertisement

It looks like Parmesan, it's hard like Parmesan, it tastes like Parmesan...

picture.php?albumid=1732&pictureid=12330picture.php?albumid=1732&pictureid=12331

You can also make these things with it...

picture.php?albumid=1732&pictureid=12332

picture.php?albumid=1732&pictureid=12333

Poncy, I know. :p

When it's grated, melted and sets again it is brittle. So Parmesan it is. Woof!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Brilliant thanks for posting that - the ultimate beer snack!! Hadn't heard of or seen that cheese before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Just wanted to say I always enjoy your food photos Little Alex! Even if they do make me hungry in work :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 P1nkSheep

Hope its okay to drag up a three year old thread but thought it better than starting a new one. Ive only been veggie (well, pescatarian but am working on that) since February which its been easy not eating nor wanting to eat any meat however whats tricky is guaranteeing that what you're eating is veggie. I love green pesto and was horrified to find the one Ive been using isnt veggie friendly I dont think. Anyhow, Ive found one that is Meridian foods. (They also dont use palm oil at all in any of there products and are my new favourite company). Its so frustrating and unnecessary much of the time and doesnt need the animal product added!!

Advertisement