Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traders Cup - Dundalk, Sunday February 26th 2012

Options
  • 21-02-2012 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

Cuchulainn Cycling Club are promoting the Annual Dundalk Cycle Trader's Cup race this coming Sunday. This is the 70th Anniversary of the race, with the first edition held back in 1942 with local rider Jim Curran proving to be the fastest in the 25 Mile "Paced Race".

All races will roll out from Dowdallshill GFC at 12:55 on Sunday February 26th 2012. Sign On will be open from 11am – 12.45pm.

The circuit is the same new 17km circuit that was used for the 2011 event. The circuit has a good mix of fast road and drags but with no major climbs

Post-Race Showers and Refreshments are Available.

———————————————————–

The club are promoting 3 Races

Race 1 – A1, A2 & A3 Riders (Handicap Race with 3 Groups)

85km (5 Laps) Cash Prizes for 1st 6, First A1, First A2, First A3 & First Clubman

Race 2 – A4 Riders

68km (4 Laps) Non-Cash Prizes for 1st 6

Race 3 – Women & A4 Men Over 50 (Riders can compete in this event with a club competition licence)

51km (3 Laps) Non-Cash Prizes for 1st 6

———————————————————–

Further details and directions can be found here: http://www.cuchulainncc.com/?page_id=153

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

http://www.cuchulainncc.com/?page_id=153
    This is the course from last year.
    Who is going?

Race 1 – A1, A2 & A3 Riders (Handicap Race with 3 Groups)

85km (5 Laps) Cash Prizes for 1st 6, First A1, First A2, First A3 & First Clubman

Race 2 – A4 Riders

68km (4 Laps) Non-Cash Prizes for 1st 6

Race 3 – Women & Men Over 50

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Threads merged

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,412 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Race 3 – Women & Men Over 50

Not even ridden the new bike yet - this could be it's debut, family commitments permitting ...

Could the ladies have their own race ...? There are lots of A2/A3 over 50years old.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,412 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Could the ladies have their own race ...? There are lots of A2/A3 over 50years old.
    Only A4s or those riding with Club Competition licences are allowed in the over 50's races

• Advertisement

Beasty wrote: »
    Only A4s or those riding with Club Competition licences are allowed in the over 50's races

Ah ok - Thanks Beasty :)

Please girls Boardsies, do take part, it's a great opportunity to test yourself before the upcoming Women National League.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

I'm not a girl but I think I will give the new bike its debut here too.

Excuse alert: Hope this smothering headcold clears up by then or my competitors can look forward to a Cape Canaveral of snot rockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I have not yet received my licence for 2012. On C.I. website, my licence is described as "Non competition Member". Would I be able to compete in this race, with this licence. I am over 50.

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I have not yet received my licence for 2012. On C.I. website, my licence is described as "Non competition Member". Would I be able to compete in this race, with this licence. I am over 50.
    That in itself does not allow you to race - you need a Club Competition licence as a minimum. I'm not sure, but you may be able to get a day licence, but as this is not an "Open Race" (unlike the A4 race) the rules may well be different. Morana may be able to help out with this one

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Eamonnator wrote: »

No
    You'd need at least a club competition licence for the over 50's race.

• Advertisement

Ah ok - Thanks Beasty :)

Please girls Boardsies, do take part, it's a great opportunity to test yourself before the upcoming Women National League.
    It may be worthy of a separate thread in due course, but I'd certainly be interested to hear any feedback from ladies taking part against the "over 50 A4s"

Provided you don't get a large group of men who simply try and get up the road asap (and that's not the intention with this category, as I understand it), it may be a great opportunity for the ladies to mix it with the men without feeling intimidated by the sheer numbers of them. I think a few more experienced male riders may help bring some of the ladies on to bigger and better things.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

it may be a great opportunity for the ladies to mix it with the men without feeling intimidated by the sheer numbers of them. I think a few more experienced male riders may help bring some of the ladies on to bigger and better things.

Smoooooth.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

It's an interesting question. One of the dilemmas faced by race organisers is trying to please every category whilst working with the resources they have.

For example, you can only have a certain number of races running simultaneously on a circuit in order to avoid one one race bumping into another.

You could always run off some races earlier in the day, but then you have to ask marshals, police, ambulance etc. to effectively double the time they give up for a race. And put up with the occasional bitching you'll get from the categories who have an early start.

Several of the women racers I know have said that if the number of women's-only weekend races increase, they'd be concerned that the fields get too small. Accordingly they've expressed a preference for a short-ish national league schedule.

If you're a woman and your looking for a race on a non-national league weekend, the only option until now was riding with the A3s or A4s. For some that's grand but others might find it a bit much.

I've no idea how putting the women in with the slower vets will work out, but it's worthy trying at least.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

I've no idea how putting the women in with the slower vets will work out, but it's worthy trying at least.

And thats a fellow Mod slagging off poor Beasty......

RobFowl wrote: »

Ah janey. And I actually struggled with the wording of that. I'd initially written "weaker" and decided that might be taken up the wrong way, while "A4/Club Competition Over 50s vets" was a bit of a mouthful.

Depending on who turns up, I may even try the A4 race, although I thought the new bike may be a bit safer amongst the ladies rather than in the A4 race where I might risk some 110kg or so bloke crashing into me;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Depending on who turns up, I may even try the A4 race, although I thought the new bike may be a bit safer amongst the ladies rather than in the A4 race where I might risk some 110kg or so bloke crashing into me;)

When you see the size of me, it might encourage you to go for the A4 race!
    Plus, it's 17 years, since I last road raced. You have been warned!
    Although, you'll only have to worry about me for the first 100 yards or so, I imagine, I'll be
    out the back by then.

I'm doing our club league race on Sunday, so you'll be safe from me Beasty. I think Shaungil is in A3 these days too, so you might be alright with the A4s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

Shaungil is injured it's Keithgil who you should want. He's been spanking me recently. Hope to make Harry Reynolds all going well.

I think Shaungil is in A3 these days too

I think he's just about retired from competitive sport - talking about doing triathlons or Sumo or something last time I saw him ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

you have to ride the a4 beasty to give your self a proper test . Plus MWP will need you as part of his lead out train

you have to ride the a4 beasty to give your self a proper test . Plus MWP will need you as part of his lead out train
    You mean you want MWAP and Beasty to provide you with a lead-out train ...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭budgie001

I remember you racing Eamonnator, what you didn't have in power to weight ratios yuo made up for in grinta, may the roads roll downhill for you -)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

I'll be there if this cold clears.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

What time does the lead-out train leave at? Does it stop at Skerries?

I think he's just about retired from competitive sport - talking about doing triathlons or Sumo or something last time I saw him ...

Defo looking like a sumo wrestler

Last year this was v messy. The finish was back up the road you had raced down. so down to the roundabout and back up the same road. There was a crash in the earlier race which took up a lot of the road so a call went to neutralise in the bunch (A1 2 &3's) Some heeded it and some didn't)

Would have thought prudent to change the finish this year not sure if it has been......

See last years thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056215486

RobFowl wrote: »
    Slow I may be, but I suspect any claims I make of poverty are likely to be ignored ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

beasty id stand around with the new bike around registration and then swap bikes before the racing starts haha, its too nice for feb racing

• Advertisement

I'll be seeing what the weather's like anyway, but one of my concerns is that if I look too "serious" they may not let me ride with the old codgers/young ladies

Advertisement