Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

89 Fiat UNO Diesel

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Espoo

If the engine was gone on this one. Would it be hard get a replacement one? Import I'd say?

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭piston

It could be tricky as the high price of scrap metal meant most old cars seem to have been baled up. Did the Punto originally come with the same 1.7D engine, or the funny looking van they made at that time?

see what ya mean piston. This is the car. copy and paste the link below.
    Mine is a blue one. It must have been one of the last made from this range.
    As they brought out the more modern shape in 89. also a 1.7 Diesel

http://www.autoevolution.com/engine/fiat-uno-5-doors-1983-17-d.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

That was the first car I was ever insured on (me mammy's,) a 1.7 diesel five door uno in a nice dull grey/blue.

Believe it or not it had two reg no's, started life as 89 MH 145 and then ended up being 88 D 32609.

Think my Dad bought it from a finance company who had repossessed it, maybe that'd explain reg change or something??

I defo know that we were driving around on the initial plates for a few months and then they were changed :eek:

This was the model...
    29-LLC-FiatUno-1280px.jpg

JC
    Yep thats exactly like my one. Same door handles. They were a hum dinger to go. Did yours give much trouble? I had a few wobbly bits, but parts for it were fairly cheap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

Espoo wrote: »
    JC
    Yep thats exactly like my one. Same door handles. They were a hum dinger to go. Did yours give much trouble? I had a few wobbly bits, but parts for it were fairly cheap

Trouble?? Hell no, keep a bit of oil in her and she was grand, ran on fumes too, fierce cheap on diesel!!

Had trouble with wiring, but nothing mechanical at all.

By trouble with wiring I mean the rear indicators worked fine, so long as you didn't brake. When brake lights came on, indicators went on holidays :eek:

yeah
    It'd run on the smell of it. Sounds familiar about the lights. I couldnt keep her tracked. Then again I couldnt keep anything tracked :D. G'night

I took the cover off the timing belt this morning. Tried pulling on belt. Wouldn't budge. Maybe I need to get in take a closer look at the engine. Any advice welcomed. Espoo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

You'll need to put a socket & bar on the crankshaft pully to get it to turn.

Thanks Auj
    You mean as if trying to tighten the nut on the shaft holding on the pulley?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Yes, that should do it, take it gently.

Sound
    I'll give it a go tomorrow. Dont mean to sound like a dope.:D When yer in to cars
    these things are 2nd nature. Will let ya know how it goes

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Sound
    I'll give it a go tomorrow. Dont mean to sound like a dope.:D When yer in to cars
    these things are 2nd nature. Will let ya know how it goes

Everyone has to start and learn somewhere.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭piston

Diesel engines have high compression ratios. It will take a fare amount of force to turn it over.

Turned it over this morning with a 19 open ended spanner (alone). It wasn't easy at first but ok after that. If I put water in it would it be safe then to try start it? There is oil in the engine. (As black as the ace of spades). But its still oil?? I dont see the point of going getting filters for it just yet? I think it best to try start her and see how it reacts to that. I know it did have an overheating problem. Probably a stat. I would just leave her run for a few minutes. Any advice welcomed lads

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭bbsrs

Turned it over this morning with a 19 open ended spanner (alone). It wasn't easy at first but ok after that. If I put water in it would it be safe then to try start it? There is oil in the engine. (As black as the ace of spades). But its still oil?? I dont see the point of going getting filters for it just yet? I think it best to try start her and see how it reacts to that. I know it did have an overheating problem. Probably a stat. I would just leave her run for a few minutes. Any advice welcomed lads[/Quote

Replace oil , coolant and Timing Belt and tensioners to be safe or if you're feeling lucky try starting it .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Change the oil and filter, do the belt too, probably a simple job on that engine and refresh the coolant, throw a stat in too, they're cheap as chips. All of the above can be done relatively cheap so best to do it first.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 triumphs

Hi Guys, Reading your posts I had forgotten how much I like my old Uno and, as you do, you go out and get one. I found it on Donedeal recently, needs a little work but should be okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 prosmart

Fiat uno diesel. Seen a heap of them over in Tangier. That and 205 diesels . used as "petit taxis" beside the 123 series mercs

Advertisement