Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lent 2012

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

04072511 wrote: »
    Ah here, that's a bit OTT. Maybe at the elite end yes, but for anybody below this, a few pints of the black stuff or a few glasses of vino after a good race or cracking training run won't do anybody any harm at all.

Some of the comments on here are about diet are a bit much at times I think. Consider Ciaran O'Lionaird's thoughts on diet:

I don’t pay a whole lot of attention to it. I eat when I’m hungry and I try to eat well but I also like going into a race feeling good and will eat what I want if there is something I really want to eat. Prior to my 3:34 I stayed in Leuven for a month and not one evening went by where I wasnt at the ice-cream shop getting a waffle cone with Speculoos ice cream. It’s about balance, like everything else in running and in life.

Paula Radcliffe eats chocolate and makes no apologies for it and considers it healthy in small doses as it has magnesium in it. I spotted David Rudisha drinking a can of coke outside of Olympic Park in Melbourne last year after he blitzed the field in 1:43.

I'd not worry about the rest of them to much. Remember, them denying themselves things mean more cake for the rest of us. :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

I gave up crisps, chocolate and fast food last January (2011) after a sinful Christmas. I love my chocolate and biscuits and cake with my tea, and was back on them on the 1st February 2011. I completely cut out the craic of getting chips and burgers on the way home from a night out, and very rarely eat food like that now. But, when I want it, I have it. I haven’t touched a crisp since. Now, I’m just a stubborn wagon on the crisp issue! I do not want to give up my treats for lent despite having done so (successfully!) for the past 3/4 years. I ran 50k on Saturday and am training for the Connemara Ultra. The only reason I’d be giving up my beloved treats would be a self serving “I want to look like a supermodel more like a supermodel than I already do :rolleyes:;) in 6 weeks” – nothing to do with Jesus at all.

Please forgive me for not losing any weight during lent this year God.

I will do something – just not sure what. I could say I’m going to pick a S&C routine and stick to it religiously as I do zero of that important side of running stuff currently. Then I’d be doing it religiously for religion and not to fit into my 21year old sister’s jeans…

Maybe a swear box… Or I could take up helping the elderly cross the road… Decisions decisions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

I'm giving up beer, wine , white bread/toast and anything I like really. No break for paddys day either. Might stay off the drinkin until late April too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

claralara wrote: »
    Or I could take up helping the elderly cross the road…

You can't be delivering straight lines like that and expecting to get away with it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

RayCun wrote: »
    You can't be delivering straight lines like that and expecting to get away with it ;)

Haha! I was wondering how long it would take!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Lads if you give up sweets and stuff until Connemara, you're not giving stuff up for Lent, you're giving up stuff for a period of time.:D

There's a good joke that Tommy Tiernan used to do when he was funny about giving up sweets for Lent but i can't remember the punchline:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

robinph wrote: »
    Cool. Pancakes tomorrow. :D

Jumped outta bed this morning...whips up a few pancakes for the kids before they headed out the door for school...finished off two myself, with sliced banana ( yum).
    30 mins later..jumped in the car, met a fellow A,R,T poster for a trail run, and started off. 3 k in and my guts were in bits...no water with me,(back in the car), so bummed some off said buddie.
    Last time I'll be doing that I tell ya! ( the water was horrible:pac:)

Oh, ya...whats this thread about, Lent?

Crisps for me, have got to stop eating them every evening in front of the TV!

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

meijin wrote: »
    Not much to give up re. food as I gave up all the junk stuff already... I'm a bit lost about ideas what to give up :confused:

work.7567658.1.sticker,375x360.father-jack-hackett-v1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

chinguetti wrote: »
    Lads if you give up sweets and stuff until Connemara, you're not giving stuff up for Lent, you're giving up stuff for a period of time.:D

So what?

So what?

thread title ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

So what?

Shels beat me to it.

shels4ever wrote: »
    thread title ;)

Connemara is 1 week before Easter. That coincides sufficiently with lent to fit into this thread IMHO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Connemara is 1 week before Easter. That coincides sufficiently with lent to fit into this thread IMHO.

It's 40 days after lent starts too.
    I never saw the point of lent being 46 days. I though jebus spent 40 days in the desert not 46.

menoscemo wrote: »
    I never saw the point of lent being 46 days. I though jebus spent 40 days in the desert not 46.

Maybe we should all do a 40 day mds to make up for it :). I'll take my 46 days off beer over getting lost in a dessert ;)

pun intended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Marathon Des Sables?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

04072511 wrote: »
    Ah here, that's a bit OTT. Maybe at the elite end yes, but for anybody below this, a few pints of the black stuff or a few glasses of vino after a good race or cracking training run won't do anybody any harm at all.

When is it ever just a few pints or a few classes of wine in this country? I've only ever known one person in my lifetime who could truly keep to one or two pints and leave at that. You dont have to be an elite athlete to benefit from not drinking, its win win all around. Theres only positives from cutting it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Ah it's easy to go for only one or two and leave it at that. If you can do it there's no need to go cutting it out completely.

If people feel the need to cut something out, why not do it permanently rather than just for lent ? It's akin to slagging all the new joggers you see at New Years and never again after a couple of weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

tunguska wrote: »
    When is it ever just a few pints or a few classes of wine in this country? I've only ever known one person in my lifetime who could truly keep to one or two pints and leave at that. You dont have to be an elite athlete to benefit from not drinking, its win win all around. Theres only positives from cutting it out.

Painting large brush strokes there.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Ah it's easy to go for only one or two and leave it at that. If you can do it there's no need to go cutting it out completely.

If people feel the need to cut something out, why not do it permanently rather than just for lent ? It's akin to slagging all the new joggers you see at New Years and never again after a couple of weeks.

Because cutting out sweets for a few weeks right now will cut a few pounds off my weight which will benefit me in my race, and when that race is over then I have every right to reward myself.

That's why.

It's nothing to do about having a right to reward yourself or not, it's about using lent as an excuse to do so rather than doing it all the time.

Ah I just go down the road of rewarding myself after every bit if physical exercise, gets you out more often instead of waiting for the races.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭verywell

I am giving up chocolate. Should be an interesting few weeks :)

Because cutting out sweets for a few weeks right now will cut a few pounds off my weight which will benefit me in my race, and when that race is over then I have every right to reward myself.

That's why.

+1. It's that simple. Lent just happens to coincide before said race.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    It's nothing to do about having a right to reward yourself or not, it's about using lent as an excuse to do so rather than doing it all the time.

Ah I just go down the road of rewarding myself after every bit if physical exercise, gets you out more often instead of waiting for the races.

Ok ... so how many people here exactly do lent for strictly religious reasons?

And running a 39 mile race is a bit more than "every bit of physical exercise".

Any Interest in a Lenten Challenge 2012?
    It all starts on Wednesday.
    I intend gving up chocolate and sweets and all sugary ****e. Anybody else giving anything up?
    Why not booze, something which might be actually difficult.:)

gerard65 wrote: »
    Why not booze, something which might be actually difficult.:)

I know you won't believe me but I have not been drinking much of late :pac:. Giving it up would actually not be much of a sacrifice nor would it help me much in achieving my goal.

The sweets and chocolate are the big elephant in the room. My increased cosumption of sugary shoite has seen me put on a few pounds while running 70+ miles a week over the past few months:eek: so it has to go.

And running a 39 mile race is a bit more than "every bit of physical exercise".

I said I reward myself after every bit of physical exercise.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I think I'll get a hot chocolate with marshmallows in it for my breakfast drink tomorrow. Anyone recommend anywhere in Stephens Green that does a nice one? :)

I know you won't believe me but I have not been drinking much of late :pac:. Giving it up would actually not be much of a sacrifice nor would it help me much in achieving my goal.

The sweets and chocolate are the big elephant in the room. My increased cosumption of sugary shoite has seen me put on a few pounds while running 70+ miles a week over the past few months:eek: so it has to go.
    And I'm to believe that. 70 miles a week and your putting on weight? You must be eating a hell amount of fatty foods. I'd be very concerned about my health if that was me.

gerard65 wrote: »
    And I'm to believe that. 70 miles a week and your putting on weight? You must be eating a hell amount of fatty foods. I'd be very concerned about my health if that was me.

Get with the times gerard. Sugar is the devil, not fat.

• Advertisement

Get with the times gerard. Sugar is the devil, not fat.
    You could be right, after all I'm an old crusty. but if I begin to look like a famine victim running 50mls a week and my diet isn't great and you say your putting on weight running 70, well something must be wrong.
    Be honest, how many units do you drink per week?

Advertisement