Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I call for a worldwide ban on the consumption of frogs legs.

Options
  • 20-02-2012 4:08pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭


    I have always been appalled by the practive of slaughtering frogs for their legs. The killing methods are barbaric (akin to cutting off sharks fins and dumping them back into the ocean).

    I call for a worldwide ban on the consumption of frogs legs.

    Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

    Tagged:


«13

Comments

  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr


    How are they slaughtered?


  • Registered Users Posts: 18,530 ✭✭✭✭kippy


    Is this a wind up?


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith


    Why do you think we should ban a cheap source of protein that many of the world's poorest people rely on? If your worried about declining frog populations surely it would be better to petition for people to be better educated in husbandry?


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭Worztron


    How are they slaughtered?

    They have their legs chopped off and suffer a slow torturous death.

    Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."



  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr


    So why not patition to slaughter them in a different way??


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283


    I don't think boards could implement a worldwide ban on anything


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy


    Do you speak french? You'll need it.


  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered


    In my opinion you wont ever be able to ban any type of meat. I think you'd get much much further petitioning for more humane conditions and deaths. By calling for an all out ban you'd be dismissed, but asking for something more reasonable you might get people to listen to you.


  • Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy


    I worked in the high end of catering years ago and they had the practice of boiling alive Crabs and Lobsters starting with cold water heating up and i remember watching the creatures struggling in the pots with elastic bands on their claws . It has to be done that way to destroy the natural poison in them .That's High Class Haute Cuisine for you .I'm out of it a long time .The excessive frippery and nonsense disgusted me .


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants


    OP it might be an idea to post links (with warnings perhaps) to show how frogs are killed for consumption as many (myself included) probably don't know the process.

    As Whispered quite rightly said, people will probably be listened to if they are putting in a reasonable request, outright bans would be easily dismissed.


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭timesnap


    Does not really matter if the OP is a wind up or not.
    assuming humankind continues to exist, i feel certain that we will be viewed as arrogant barbarians by future generations for how we treat other creatures, long after we found other sources of protein.


  • Registered Users Posts: 18,530 ✭✭✭✭kippy


    timesnap wrote: »
    Does not really matter if the OP is a wind up or not.
    assuming humankind continues to exist, i feel certain that we will be viewed as arrogant barbarians by future generations for how we treat other creatures, long after we found other sources of protein.

    "We" will be long since gone, even if human kind still exists and a thread on boards.ie isn't going to change the world, as much as some delusional posters would like it to.

    We are ultimately animals and predominately carnivores at that - we eat other animals, just as other animals eat each other.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr


    timesnap wrote: »
    Does not really matter if the OP is a wind up or not.
    assuming humankind continues to exist, i feel certain that we will be viewed as arrogant barbarians by future generations for how we treat other creatures, long after we found other sources of protein.
    Is that how you view us?


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark


    timesnap wrote: »
    Does not really matter if the OP is a wind up or not.
    assuming humankind continues to exist, i feel certain that we will be viewed as arrogant barbarians by future generations for how we treat other creatures, long after we found other sources of protein.

    I feel certain no one in the future will give a single damn about what happened to a frog or cow or fox or anything else like that at the present moment


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭timesnap


    Is that how you view us?

    No i eat meat,but as i said future generations will view us as barbarians for eating meat once we had found other sources of protein.
    we are supposed to be evolving are we not?
    we are carnivores? i wish i knew that before i got addicted to let-us.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr


    We are omnivores. Doubt we will find anything that tastes as good as a big fillet steak!


  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered


    We are omnivores. Doubt we will find anything that tastes as good as a big fillet steak!

    For some people taste is not the most important thing. I just couldn't enjoy a steak, I couldn't get the idea of a cow out of my head. Right or wrong, tasty or not, it's just not worth it to me.


  • Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭K.C


    LOL


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Traonach




  • Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭timesnap


    Traonach wrote: »

    You did not expect to get thanked for trying to expose how cruel we are to other creatures did you Traonach?
    that is not why people use the 'thanks' option.;)


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus


    Worztron wrote: »
    They have their legs chopped off and suffer a slow torturous death.

    I keep a bearded dragon as a pet. I have spent lots of time in hostile enviroments like the Sahara, I have done the MdS for example. Anyway I have an interest in surviving in hostile environments, I have shared her food at times, they are a great source of protein.

    I have done this so that I know I could eat them if I really have too. Would you like to see that banned too?

    When I spent time in Muslim refugge camps in the Sahara I often cut the goats jugular, I would rather have done it a different and quicker way IMO, ut it is their custom.

    I do not wish to offend people, but really when I see topic like this; it just seems a waste of space. Do the above examples make me a bad person, personally I think not as I really do come across bad people everyday during the course of my work.

    It's late, I'm tired as I said I do not wish to offend anybody, but siuch posts just seem out of touch to me.


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus


    We are omnivores. Doubt we will find anything that tastes as good as a big fillet steak!

    I had a whole leg of a young goat once, I have eaten it many times. However, I always thought my fav food was a nice fillet, but the way that leg of goat was cooked, it would be my top meal if I could get it cooked that way for me again.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg


    We are omnivores. Doubt we will find anything that tastes as good as a big fillet steak!

    We're herbivores who adapted to tolerate meat in a limited manner so we could survive when our natural food supply was scarce.
    Our phsyiognomy is almost 100% in common with herbivores. We share no characteristics with carnivores at all.
    The only anomoly is that we generally need vitamin B12 from animal sources. Not from meat or fish necessarily - eggs and milk would be better.
    There is no logical reason to eat meat in the modern world aprt from indulgence. There are plenty of compelling reasons not to.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭timesnap


    Odysseus as a mod of psychology surely you can see the contradiction in your two last posts,you say you do not wish to offend people then say how much you enjoyed meat-eating when it will surely offend vegatarions or vegans.

    eating of other creatures as a necessity is one thing,being proud of it is another story.


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red


    We're herbivores who adapted to tolerate meat in a limited manner so we could survive when our natural food supply was scarce.
    Our phsyiognomy is almost 100% in common with herbivores. We share no characteristics with carnivores at all.
    The only anomoly is that we generally need vitamin B12 from animal sources. Not from meat or fish necessarily - eggs and milk would be better.
    There is no logical reason to eat meat in the modern world aprt from indulgence. There are plenty of compelling reasons not to.

    This is bad science from veggie activists. We're omnivores. Sorry, but we are. The 'cavemen were veggies' theory has been repeatedly debunked, primarily by the existence of gnawed animal bones cracked open to get at the marrow in almost every single prehistoric settlement ever found.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg


    This is bad science from veggie activists. We're omnivores. Sorry, but we are. The 'cavemen were veggies' theory has been repeatedly debunked, primarily by the existence of gnawed animal bones cracked open to get at the marrow in almost every single prehistoric settlement ever found.
    Dogs do that the whole time - crack open bones to get at marrow. Never heard of humans doing it. Dogs were key in the development of human society.

    The fact that our physignomy is more herbivoral than anything else is bad science? The fact that primates which share up to 99.99% of our genetics are almost entirely herbivoral is bad science?
    So obviously it is natural to eat foods that would make us seriously ill in the immediate term if we didnt cook them? (cooking itself being a natural thing to do)...Foods that still do make us seriously ill in the long term whether cooked or not...?
    Let's agree to disagree on that one...


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭timesnap


    This is bad science from veggie activists. We're omnivores. Sorry, but we are. The 'cavemen were veggies' theory has been repeatedly debunked, primarily by the existence of gnawed animal bones cracked open to get at the marrow in almost every single prehistoric settlement ever found.

    You must must be both a speed -reader and speed typist to have read and replied to that article in such a short time.
    facts are meat is the slowest thing our bowel can process and pass out of our system.


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus


    timesnap wrote: »
    Odysseus as a mod of psychology surely you can see the contradiction in your two last posts,you say you do not wish to offend people then say how much you enjoyed meat-eating when it will surely offend vegatarions or vegans.

    eating of other creatures as a necessity is one thing,being proud of it is another story.

    No every poster here avoids eating meat, I did not wish to offend those who though that the way I preped the food on those occassions find it a sensitive a topic. Nothing to do with the fact that I eat meat.

    There is nothing wrong with enjoying a meal. The case I spoke of the person who cooked it put a lot of work into it, it was a special meal with a special thought associated with it.

    Lots of veggies I know would not be offended, I tried it myself for about 4 years a long time ago, not because I thought eating meal was wrong.


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red


    Dogs do that the whole time - crack open bones to get at marrow. Never heard of humans doing it. Dogs were key in the development of human society.

    Bone marrow remains a delicacy in many cuisines. And in Cro-Magnon times, it was top of the desired food list for both our ancestors and the neanderthals. Every prehistoric settlement is littered with cracked bones. Not, I hasten to add, cracked by a dogs jaw, but carefully cracked straight along the long side to maximise the amount of marrow accessible.
    The fact that our physignomy is more herbivoral than anything else is bad science?

    More herbivoral than what? Than extracting energy from the air via osmosis? We eat to gain energy. Most of what we could access to eat was vegetal, a small valuable proportion was meat. Hence we are omnivorous. We have a short, simple digestive system designed for digesting meat. Herbivores like cows require multiple stomachs. Our intestines run to about 8 times the length of our torsos (mouth to anus). That compares to 3.5 times or so for pure meat eaters like the big cats, and 12-20 times as long for herbivores like horses and cows. Conclusion? We're in the middle. We're omnivores.
    The fact that primates which share up to 99.99% of our genetics are almost entirely herbivoral is bad science?
    Yes, this is terrible science on a number of levels. Plenty of chimp colonies are meat eaters, and they are our closest relatives. Furthermore, that 99.99% needs to be seen in the context that we share 99% of our genes with mice.
    So obviously it is natural to eat foods that would make us seriously ill in the immediate term if we didnt cook them? (cooking itself being a natural thing to do)...Foods that still do make us seriously ill in the long term whether cooked or not...?
    Let's agree to disagree on that one...

    We cook to eradicate the danger of infection from food poisoning, because we're smart and sentient and we learn stuff. If lions were sentient, they'd cook too. As for seriously ill? I don't think so. Food poisoning is unpleasant but very rarely fatal, just the same way as it is for carnivorous predators in the animal kingdom. A dose of the ****s or a day vomiting is debilitating, but doesn't qualify as seriously ill, I'm afraid.

    You've been drinking the veggie kool-aid. It's selective reasoning and bad science. The reality is that we are omnivores, like our closest relatives, and have been for many thousands of years. That doesn't mean you personally have to eat meat. But it doesn't mean I shouldn't either.


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭timesnap


    Odysseus wrote: »
    No every poster here avoids eating meat, I did not wish to offend those who though that the way I preped the food on those occassions find it a sensitive a topic. Nothing to do with the fact that I eat meat.

    There is nothing wrong with enjoying a meal. The case I spoke of the person who cooked it put a lot of work into it, it was a special meal with a special thought associated with it.

    Lots of veggies I know would not be offended, I tried it myself for about 4 years a long time ago, not because I thought eating meal was wrong.

    Fair enough,as i said i eat meat but there seems to be much more evidence that it is either, learned behaviour, or at one time was a necessity,
    i love a good feed too but i know i can get my protein from soya or lentils if i wish.
    just not as pleasing on the eye as a big juicy steak etc.:)


Advertisement