Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Cabin in the Woods *Spoilers from post 180*

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,147 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

pixelburp wrote: »
    Like yourself I'm working from memory, but I don't think he did have a system. He disappeared off, having apparently been killed, then popped up to rescue Hotty mcRedhead when she was being attacked by the lakeside (after the RV crash). The stoner had discovered a computer panel in the zombie's grave in the interim, but other than that I recall no mention of how he avoided detection; or how the Control Room managed to not see his pulse still going strong.

Hmm this warrants further investigation on my part, been meaning to watch it again anyway.

There was no real explanation as to why the stoner guy survived or how they didn't realize this - I'll have to rewatch it again to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Just saw this now, after hearing the initial buzz and keeping away from everything to avoid spoiling the twist.

A small bit disappointed, I have to say. Not that I thought it was bad, it just didn't re-invent the wheel as I had been led to believe it had. Maybe that'll wear off in the morning. Maybe not. It's a thinker.

Loved the first half and how they handled...not being a horror, I guess is the only way I can put it. I loved how they set up the themes and metaphors the movie was showcasing, yet kept the viewer out of the loop as to where exactly the satirical pieces lay. The juxtaposition between the 'horror movie' and the control room was perfect, they almost didn't even need to say anything when they cut back to the control room to get a laugh from me. Now that's a well-constructed comedy.

The problem was when they got to the business end. By the nature of what they're trying to do, the main characters have to be clichéd and 2D. I get that. But I also want to see clichéd characters die. So I'm not wrapped up in their fate by the time **** hits the fan. And by being all tongue-in-cheek, wink-wink, nudge-nudge about it, I presume that the writers understand this.

If that's the case...then it better be ****ing funny. But it's not. It's just a mildly entertaining, gore-fest that goes on too long, and is more akin to a table quiz round of spotting the horror movie references, than a grandstand finish to a masterpiece in satire, i.e. it's masturbatory. Even Sigourney Weaver's cameo couldn't make me give a **** by the end. I was genuinely trying not to nod off. And that's a horrible feeling to end a film that has you so hooked halfway through.

They wrote themselves into a hole and simply didn't have the creativity to get out of it, so instead they just kind of vomited what seemed like a good idea at the time onto the screen.

All-in-all, a nice idea teased out to perfection, then teased out some more until it kinda fell apart. I'll look back on it and remember the peaks fondly, I'd say, but I won't be reaching for it again anytime soon.

But who knows? Maybe I'll feel differently in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

pixelburp wrote: »
    Like yourself I'm working from memory, but I don't think he did have a system. He disappeared off, having apparently been killed, then popped up to rescue Hotty mcRedhead when she was being attacked by the lakeside (after the RV crash). The stoner had discovered a computer panel in the zombie's grave in the interim, but other than that I recall no mention of how he avoided detection; or how the Control Room managed to not see his pulse still going strong.

They clearly stated that they missed the heart beat of "The Stoner" because of the amount of weed he had smoked!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

I reckon if Joss whedon put his name onto twilight, it would get critically acclaimed. This was very ordinary. Initially clever and interesting, but it ran out of ideas fast.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,147 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I reckon if Joss whedon put his name onto twilight, it would get critically acclaimed.

Your logic falls flat due to Alien Ressurection.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Watched this last night.. As others have said, the first half was great, I loved the concept but then it went a bit 'been there, done that'

Did anyone else think it was very reminiscent of Thirteen Ghosts (2002)?

Worth a watch over all, but I expected more considering all the hype.

Glad I waited for the DVD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

xzanti wrote: »
    Watched this last night.. As others have said, the first half was great, I loved the concept but then it went a bit 'been there, done that'

Did anyone else think it was very reminiscent of Thirteen Ghosts (2002)?

Worth a watch over all, but I expected more considering all the hype.

Glad I waited for the DVD.

Surely you spent more on the DVD than you would have on a cinema ticket? I got the DVD for €14.99 in HMV... Certain cinemas at certain times, you could see it for €5, top price being an excessive €11ish...

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Mansized Wreath

Looks rubbish from the trailer, I won't be seeing it.

Surely you spent more on the DVD than you would have on a cinema ticket? I got the DVD for €14.99 in HMV... Certain cinemas at certain times, you could see it for €5, top price being an excessive €11ish...

We rented it ;)

• Advertisement

We rented it ;)

People still rent DVDs?! *mind explosion*

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Looks rubbish from the trailer, I won't be seeing it.

If the trailer gave away what the actual plot of the film was it'd be a waste, its much more than its selling itself as.

Rewatching this right now. It's funny how you notice things much clearer the second time around. Like Marty (stoner) being the voice of reason right from the start. And Jules (slut) being overly slutty, even towards Marty. Marty's ramblings that seem liked he's just a stupid stoner actually being the only reasonable words spoken. "I'm seeing things that you don't; puppeteers.... We are not who we are."

People still rent DVDs?! *mind explosion*

Well it was completely rented out on Saturday night, which is why we got it last night.. so we're not the only ones still practicing this ancient ritual :)

Also, I'm glad I didn't pay €14 for a keeper, as I don't think I'd watch it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Well it was completely rented out on Saturday night, which is why we got it last night.. so we're not the only ones still practicing this ancient ritual :)

Also, I'm glad I didn't pay €14 for a keeper, as I don't think I'd watch it again.

Heh :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

Just watched it, thought it had a good story line most of the way through. The ending was not great at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

cassid wrote: »
    Just watched it, thought it had a good story line most of the way through. The ending was not great at all.

I thought the ending was awesome, very in keeping with the Cthulhu Mythos.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Reminded me more of the Titans. Of course, the mystery is half the fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Guys did anyone buy this on blu ray and have to return in? It freezes at certain parts of playback. I saw somewhere that they are replacing the discs but can't seem to find where to return them to

Guys did anyone buy this on blu ray and have to return in? It freezes at certain parts of playback. I saw somewhere that they are replacing the discs but can't seem to find where to return them to

Bring it back to where you bought it. Most stores didn't even put the stock on display as there was a product recall done the morning of the release.

What's most annoying is that reviewers informed the distributor of the issues a week before the release date and were told that the issue only affected the review copies. That no one bothered to watch the disc before mass producing it for wholesale us just ridiculous. And the saddest thing is that such substandard releases are becoming common place.

• Advertisement

Bring it back to where you bought it. Most stores didn't even put the stock on display as there was a product recall done the morning of the release.

What's most annoying is that reviewers informed the distributor of the issues a week before the release date and were told that the issue only affected the review copies. That no one bothered to watch the disc before mass producing it for wholesale us just ridiculous. And the saddest thing is that such substandard releases are becoming common place.

Cool ya I suppose thats the best thing. Xtravision probably won't have a clue though. I'll give them a shot!

Cool ya I suppose thats the best thing. Xtravision probably won't have a clue though. I'll give them a shot!

They are the only store I've seen selling the Blu. HMV didn't even bother putting it on display. Make sure you either get your money back or a replacement copy. The fixed copies should be out now, I know that some Tesco stores in the UK got their fixed copies over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

They are the only store I've seen selling the Blu. HMV didn't even bother putting it on display.
    Yeah, was in there over the weekend looking for it, and could only see the DVD.

Didn't even bother asking.

That's one way to lose a sale!

Basq wrote: »
    They are the only store I've seen selling the Blu. HMV didn't even bother putting it on display.
    Yeah, was in there over the weekend looking for it, and could only see the DVD.

Didn't even bother asking.

That's one way to lose a sale!

To be fair to HMV they did the right thing. They could easily have stuck the Blu on sale and forgot about it but by refusing to they were protecting the buyer. How many people would have picked up the Blu and never returned it or not realised that the pauses weren't supposed to be there. first reports of the issue resulted in people advising others that it was their player not the disc that was at fault. If HMV's refusal to sell the disc results in the distributor beginning to check all discs then it's a good thing. I can't understand how any Company can mass produce an item without first checking it works as its supposed to.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

^ reminds me of the Inception DVD recall a while back.

I ended up sending off an email to cabin@technicolor.com (found the address) and they just emailed me back saying email them a pic of the receipt so i did that and they said as soon as Lionsgate produce the new discs they'll start sending them out

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

They are the only store I've seen selling the Blu.

I saw it in Golden Disks Galway last weekend. Odd as I thought it wasn't due out 'til the Monday. Ditto with the Dictator.

Got the replacement in the post today so it was very quick after all!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,819 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Just got round to watching this now, and i have to say i thought it was good. Nothing fantastic, but loved the final third of the film.

Then, i come on here, read the last 22 pages, and now i love the film!

Only saw the first trailer ages back, so can't remember what was in it. I take films as i see them, and while watching i knew something wasn't quite right with it. Only after reading here, do i now completely realise the extent of the satire.

Examples: The jock suggesting some crazy intelligent book to Redhead at the start, then to be turned into a typical jock. The stoner knowing from the get go that something was up. The random loud opening of the basement door. The stoner being the only one to question the bizarre decisions.

I also agree with the idea that the Old Gods are the audience, demanding that each character be a specific stereotype and die in a specific fashion, and Sigourney saying towards the end that "we work with what we have", which is why they had to alter them with gases to make the typical decisions. And also with the staff being the writers, and the reason that the explosion didn't go off was because of someone "upstairs" changing something (ie: the studio wanting the happy ending).

Also, on the point of the Purge Button, i think one of the scientists said something along the lines of "why isn't the gas working?", so it really was a purge button, but the purge part faulted. And the button being in the security station by the lifts where the monsters come out would be the best place, as the security would be the first people to notice that the monsters were coming out of the lifts. And the room was open and there was no security in it because he met the Redhead and Stoner in the lift when they first arrived.

Overall, a fantastic movie with many a nod, great satire, solid acting for the most part, some iffy CGI but forgettable, and a movie that has piqued my interest to get it on Blu-Ray. 9/10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Just got round to watching this now, and i have to say i thought it was good. Nothing fantastic, but loved the final third of the film.

Overall, a fantastic movie with many a nod, great satire, solid acting for the most part, some iffy CGI but forgettable, and a movie that has piqued my interest to get it on Blu-Ray. 9/10.

Are you a member of the Labour party? :pac:

Advertisement