Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fassbender = Cuchulainn

Options
2»

Comments

It needs a trilogy imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

This is great news altogether. Ireland could really use a bit of a national boost and this could do the job, as ridiculous as that sounds. Another, less obvious, benefit to this film is, due to its Iron age setting, it will really highlight the Irish landscape, particularly in relation to the archaeological landscape. In other words monuments, such as the Iron age ringfort, might take on a new life, a new importance in the eyes of the public which would be beyond fantastic.

The idea of seeing Irish myth on this scale in indescribably exciting. I hope it goes ahead and I hope it will be good...

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭libra02

Sounds like it has the potential to be a great film and as other poster's have pointed out it be a good boost to the Irish Film industry - if they do decided to come here to shoot it - Scotland in particular has the same landscape so both could be potentially used.

If it does get off the ground and full go ahead be interesting to see what elements of the story they will include - will they include his marraige to Emer ( lets hope if she is included they get a decent Irish actress to play the part ), the killing of his son.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 willonzo

It kind of bugs me when people complain about accents in films set far in the past, like Russell Crowe in the recent Robin Hood movie. Admittedly, he did sound a bit all over the place in that, but how are we supposed to know what Robin Hood should have sounded like? It was eight or nine hundred years ago and there are no recordings (that I know of).
    Accents are not set in stone for all eternity, they tend to vary quite a bit even from generation to generation. For example, my accent is quite a bit different from those of my parents, even though I grew up in the same area as they did. This is due to influx of new people into the area and other factors such as TV, etc. I’m pretty sure the people up north speak the way they do these days due to the influence of the Scottish settlers introduced into the area from the 16th century onwards (but happy to be corrected if that’s wrong). So no need for Cuchulainn to sound like Gerry Adams then.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

willonzo wrote: »
    So no need for Cuchulainn to sound like Gerry Adams then.

The main problem with accents in movies is when they slip. When Fassbender has been doing a German Magneto speaking English for most of the movie and then is suddenly Irish on the beach in the finale, it jars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,059 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Source
    It is reported that an €80m biopic of Irish king Brian Boru will be made in Ireland next year.
    The Irish Independent describes Boru as "the biggest movie ever made on Irish shores" and says details of the production will be officially announced in the coming weeks.
    The film will be directed and produced by its writer, Mark Mahon from Cork.
    It is based on the new graphic novel Freedom within the Heart.
    Mahon said of the story: "At the time, the country was being pillaged and destroyed, and it took one man with a vision – ultimately that's all it does take. It's a good comparison to what's happening today. And I believe if you look at our history we are a nation of people who will overcome."
    The paper says that "epic battle scenes" will be filmed at a number of locations, including the Cliffs of Moher.
    "We have a couple of big names in mind for the lead but we do plan on using as much big Irish talent as possible for the main characters," added Mahon.

Looks like Mahon is getting to make his movie

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Will believe it when I see it tbh, they've been talking about this for years, they could really do with making more use of this country as a location to fantasy stuff, I know Game of Thrones is shot here but thats up North so doesnt really count, there's some unreal scenery in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

krudler wrote: »
    Will believe it when I see it tbh, they've been talking about this for years, they could really do with making more use of this country as a location to fantasy stuff, I know Game of Thrones is shot here but thats up North so doesnt really count, there's some unreal scenery in this country.

Isn't supposed to be quite expensive to film here?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

These days, unless your one of the very top directors, the accountants will get the most say in where you can film, they will be looking for major tax breaks or grants etc before they consider you as a location. Yes filming here is an expensive task but its doable, its just other countries are far more aggressive in giving these tax breaks etc to just get them in the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

It is, but whoever looks after the tax break side of it should see how much a big production can do for a countries economy, look at New Zealand and the boost it got from the LOTR movies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I wonder will they make an "Irish Braveheart", or will it be a full-blown off the wall fantasy film?
    Full blown off the wall fantasy would probably suit it more as the legend of Cuchulainn is fantasy to begin with.

He would be from a time (as would Boru) when magic was considered a very real thing and Irish would have been notorious for their powerful magic.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,788 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Cruachan should write the soundtrack

No one is giving Mark Mahon 80 million to make a film on Brian Boru. He's made one film to date, the decidedly average Strength and Honour and has spent the years since trying to raise financing for Strength and Honour LA, which no one seems interested in financing. No producer is going to invest 80 million on a film with such limited box office appeal, especially when it's in the hands of nobody director.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

The bit about filming at The Cliffs of Moher seem a bit begorah to me.
    Also isn't the Brian Bori story more complicated than him vs vikingsas there werevarious viking factions fighting each other?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Ipso wrote: »
    The bit about filming at The Cliffs of Moher seem a bit begorah to me.
    Also isn't the Brian Bori story more complicated than him vs vikingsas there werevarious viking factions fighting each other?
    Brian would more than likely have Vikings fighting under him too, they were basically mercenaries. He would have spent a lot of his time fighting other Irish Kings.

Advertisement