Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Art Sligo IT

Options
  • 19-02-2012 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi I was wondering is anyone studying fine art at IT sligo. I am thinking of going there in September and would like to hear what the course is like? :):D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 arty!

Thanks for your honest reply its good to know because I'm trying to narrow down some college choices for September! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Reminding everyone that anonymous one post posters are usually not to be relied on.

They tend to have an axe to grind, as this 'steviebrown' appears to have. Perhaps what he/she posts is true, though strangely they never posted anything before this.

arty! I would suggest you make decisions about your course/choice of college based on more than a one-time poster on boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 paintkaz

I'm cross posting this because I want to make sure arty see it!
    I would not have responded to this public forum but as the moderator weighed in I feel morally obliged to add my opinion.
    With respect to all concerned - there are many problems with this course. The problems seem to be greater than any of the individual tutors. In fairness there are some great tutors on that course. It would be great to see their ideas taken on board however the balance during my time there was squarely in the negative. This became much worse after the retirement of a key tutor who had been there for a long time. Although I would not phrase it as Steven does - he is for the most part correct in what he says. The lack of action to improve the situation has been particularly frustrating all concerned.
    I recently graduated the 4th year as a mature student. I am also a mother so I am commenting wearing two hats if you like. I would not like my kids to go on this course. If you are a young student with other options then I would go with those alternatives instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 cadyellow7

I'm a 4th year student in Fine Art at itsligo and i've decided to post because i personally have and do thoroughly enjoy the course, in my experience the tutors have all been very helpful to me over the years, the facilities are great(Print room, Ceramics,Woodwork and Mac lab), we have a great art shop that is subsidised and our work spaces from 2nd to 3rd year are shared half bays and then in 4th year you get a whole bay compared to the likes of other well known colleges. And Brownie cheer up dude, it wouldn't happen in philly man!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 cadyellow7

Forgot to mention re:theft from college, there is now CCTV in the corridors of both buildings and nothing has gone missing since sept thankfully, so either having the cameras really work as a deterant or the culprit/git has left or graduated.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 zazzy88

I have to agree with cadyellow7. I am also a current 4th year student in Fine Art and am thoroughly enjoying this year. I had also attended DIT to complete my first year so with this experience and with visiting other art college during open days I can definitely recommend Sligo IT to you. In comparison to the other colleges, the facilities are better than most, we have a great print room, ceramics room, we also have brand new macs in the mac lab with access to Photoshop, Final cut etc. and there is also access to woodwork room to make your own stretchers and supports and you are never restricted by size. With regards to internet access there is WiFi available through the studios and also there is a mac with internet access if you don't have your own laptop. The computers in the Creative Design room are also available to us to use with colour printers. With the studios, we have more space than most colleges, some of which you only get one panel even in your degree year. With regards to the tutors, I have never had any problems with them over the years, to be honest they are like lecturers anywhere else and are not there to give you a negative experience; they are there to help you not to fail you. The course itself has been changed this year and so far its been a positive experience for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭phonchoman

I would go as far as to say that Steve is nice about IT Sligo and the "art department"

I will be brief in saying that it is highly unprofessional. When I was there the Art Dept (lol) was not even on the college map! (literally)

Anyway, I hope you go elsewhere and that the current students that are so happy there keep being happy people.

Peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 the enemy

I finished 4 yr and to be honest, it was a total waste of 4 yrs I learned more on the plc course the tutors at the plc were hard working dedicated individuals and this was in total contrast to gang that assume the name tutors in Sligo It art Dept so to hear that the numbers are down is music to my ears, for too long the tutors[lol] have sat back in their comfort zone doing precious little teaching I have spoken to several other students who have been contacted to see if they would return talk about clutching at straws, new blood is needed in Sligo It Art Dept to encourage future students, there are a couple of part time tutors who were helpful and the art history guys were cool but the rest are unprofessional, gutless, stale and an unimaginative gang of ..... I'll leave the word to own digression ,,

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ABiskit

I'm a current 3rd year student of IT Sligo Fine Art Dept, and having read the negative comments made towards the lecturers who are all working artists, I felt the need to post.

My experience of all the lecturers teaching there at the moment has been absolutely positive. I've been told that something I'm working on isn't good enough, but it's always said in my best interests, and sometimes I agree, but if I don't I continue on with what I want to do and it's never affected my grades.

The one on one tuition in IT Sligo is very good and there's always a lecturer available to talk to you when you need, even the technicians have skills to help you if you need. I've often asked lecturers for advice about work within or out with the college and they've taken the time to help me outside class time. Whether it's about your art work or personal issues that may be interupting your studies, I've found them to be not only helpful, but also interested in each individual in our year and have followed up to check each student is managing with the course.

When you start any full time Art Course, remember it's adult education, so you will be left to your own devices, to a certain degree. You're there because your portfolio showed something about your own capabilities as an artist and the lecturers aren't there like school teachers to teach you how to draw or paint. They're there for guidance, it's entirely up to yourself how much you want to engage with the advice they give you towards your work.

You will be given exercises to complete in 1st and 2nd year, but once you get into the 2nd half of 2nd year, you have to take responsibility for your own work. You still have a timetabled schedule, but you have much more freedom to express your interests within your work.

The Fine Art buildings have improved since starting 3 1/2 years ago. There's brand new toilets/restrooms that were much needed, new heating system and there's a full ventilation system being installed this summer for studio spaces.

Both Fine Art buildings have kitchen facilities, so you can bring in your own food to heat and store or you can go down to the main IT building for cafe service.

There is no problems with theft in the college now. Since the CCTV has been installed, there have been no issues with work or peoples possessions being stolen.

There is also a stock room on campus that sells discounted art materials of very good quality, which saves us having to search over Sligo town looking for materials, which can be very expensive.

The studio spaces we get are quite big, with tables and chairs supplied, although you can bring in your own.

The classes on average are around 25 per year which gives Fine Art students in IT Sligo a good community spirit with each other and everyone is known by name by all the lecturers.

There's a PC computer room available for Fine Art and Creative Design students for the past 2 years with colour and black and white printers. There's also a Mac Lab which has all the new up to date programmes for editing photos and film.

As I already mentioned the lecturers in the Fine Art Dept are working artists, which means we are very lucky to get some great visiting artists to the college such as Alice Maher, Nevan Le Hart, Colin Martin to name a few. The Dept also has a very good relationship with The Model Arts Centre in Sligo and The Dock in Carrick-On-Shannon which benefits students as well, we get a number of talks and visits to exhibiting artists in both galleries and there is also at least a couple of paid trips to galleries in major Irish cities. There is also a yearly trip for all years to a European city, this year was The Venice Bienalle.

My complaints are the WiFi can be a bit dodgy, but we've been promised by IT Sligo IT Services that they're installing new hubs very soon.

Also in elective subjects which are Ceramics, Print and Digital Lens Based Media, lecture hours have been reduced. For me a Digital student, where my passion lies, it's been difficult, but I'm determined to continue to learn the software and hardware in college hours and in my own time.

My advice is if you're thinking about doing a full time Fine Art course, visit IT Sligo and talk to the students face to face, see the facilities available and then decide. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tucker.Tim

Mac lab? Is that's in the Fine Art building across the Clarion Road from the main campus? Attending ITS and this is the first I've heard of it!

Could I ask what the room number is? I assume it's open to all students?

• Advertisement

Yes the Mac Lab is in the building up the hill on the left hand side.

It's not my place to say if it's open for all students, I use it as a Digital Student. Perhaps if you contact Seamus Grogan, the IT technician in building K he can tell you.

Tucker.Tim wrote: »
    Mac lab? Is that's in the Fine Art building across the Clarion Road from the main campus? Attending ITS and this is the first I've heard of it!

Could I ask what the room number is? I assume it's open to all students?

ABiskit wrote: »
    Yes the Mac Lab is in the building up the hill on the left hand side.

It's not my place to say if it's open for all students, I use it as a Digital Student. Perhaps if you contact Seamus Grogan, the IT technician in building K he can tell you.

Well I'm a computing student so access to Mac computers may come in useful in the future. Is the room locked or open during the hours the campus is open?

It's usually locked outside class times, but Seamus Grogans office is right across from it. Can't think off hand what the room number is. Like I said ring the IT reception 0719155222 and ask for Seamus Grogan, he can tell you more about access to the Mac Lab.
    Tucker.Tim wrote: »
    Well I'm a computing student so access to Mac computers may come in useful in the future. Is the room locked or open during the hours the campus is open?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 halfmoon

NCAD is your best bet. I went to Sligo too and,the town is a dump and the people are miserable. Keep away if I were you. Having said that I made some great work there and one or two of the lecturers were nice.

Response to ABiskit

I have to say that your response to several posts reads like a Sligo IT prospectus. Funnily enough students in the past were coerced by tutors to paint a positive picture in reply to previous negative remarks, this my friend smacks of it all over again. why not look into the complaints from former students toward the Art dept (these should be available)and the high absentee rate at graduations. Enough said.

the enemy wrote: »
    Response to ABiskit

I have to say that your response to several posts reads like a Sligo IT prospectus. Funnily enough students in the past were coerced by tutors to paint a positive picture in reply to previous negative remarks, this my friend smacks of it all over again. why not look into the complaints from former students toward the Art dept (these should be available)and the high absentee rate at graduations. Enough said.

Not nearly enough said, tbh. You signed up to give out like a scorned child so you're hardly one to question anyone's motives in posting.

This thread is coming across as a few little fellas who think they're better than everyone else and not being able to engage properly with a course.

Well TT, as you are not involved in the Art dept, you have no knowledge of what goes on inside it so therefore YOU cannot give any relevant input to what I am talking of. Also I attended this dept for 4yrs as a mature student so heave enough life experience of working with and being part of a team.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 halfmoon

A KIP!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Airswimmer

I am adding a comment on here in case anyone new is looking for opinions on studying fine art at sligo IT. I am currently at the beginning of third year as a mature student. The year is roughly half and half mature and younger (under 25ish) students. The two buildings that house the art dept are separate from the main campus - which does isolate us from the rest of college but also provides an intimate environment where everyone doing fine art - less than 100 students over the 4 years - gets to know each other and the tutors. The work spaces are good, with a warm, bright studio space for every student. The course is probably more painting based than most other art colleges with good facilities for ceramics and print. As with all colleges, the tutors are a mixed bunch, but none of them are really mean and some are excellent. I took digital and lens based media as my option (which mostly means photography and video) and have found the cutting back on tutors disappointing - meaning I have had to be very self-motivated and learn most of what I want to know independently.

Sligo IT has good facilities - gym, students union etc although the food outlets have been cutback dramatically. Being up the hill from the main college we probably don't use the facilities as much as other students. There is a feeling that the college doesn't value the fine art dept very much. We certainly can't compete with the reputation of NCAD or Cork art college. But I am learning a lot and value what I'm getting on the course. It's far from perfect, and I suggest you look elsewhere if you want to do photography or video. But if painting is your thing then this course is really great. And the immediate surrounds of the art buildings is green, with lots of trees and open land - a calm and beautiful setting.

the enemy wrote: »
    Response to ABiskit

'The Enemy' no one 'coerced' me to take the time to post about the IT Fine Art Dept. I felt as a student, former students like you are the kind that are making previous and current students degrees look less credible! I had a really good time in the IT and of course there are things I would have changed to cater for my own personal needs as a DLBM student.

Everyone who enters the college knows that the course is geared towards painting and drawing. I'm a mother of 2 young children, living in Sligo town and I was fortunate to get my BA in 3 years and also got plenty of connections within the art circles around Sligo from the PLC lecturers and IT lecturers for paid work in galleries and with local artists as I got my degree.

I've chosen not to do my 4th year in the IT as I want to change direction and study Film and Photography. Perhaps you should have done the same if IT Sligo was not catering for your needs... no one made you stay and do the 4 years!

• Advertisement

Airswimmer wrote: »
    I am adding a comment on here in case anyone new is looking for opinions on studying fine art at sligo IT. I am currently at the beginning of third year as a mature student. The year is roughly half and half mature and younger (under 25ish) students. The two buildings that house the art dept are separate from the main campus - which does isolate us from the rest of college but also provides an intimate environment where everyone doing fine art - less than 100 students over the 4 years - gets to know each other and the tutors. The work spaces are good, with a warm, bright studio space for every student. The course is probably more painting based than most other art colleges with good facilities for ceramics and print. As with all colleges, the tutors are a mixed bunch, but none of them are really mean and some are excellent. I took digital and lens based media as my option (which mostly means photography and video) and have found the cutting back on tutors disappointing - meaning I have had to be very self-motivated and learn most of what I want to know independently.

Sligo IT has good facilities - gym, students union etc although the food outlets have been cutback dramatically. Being up the hill from the main college we probably don't use the facilities as much as other students. There is a feeling that the college doesn't value the fine art dept very much. We certainly can't compete with the reputation of NCAD or Cork art college. But I am learning a lot and value what I'm getting on the course. It's far from perfect, and I suggest you look elsewhere if you want to do photography or video. But if painting is your thing then this course is really great. And the immediate surrounds of the art buildings is green, with lots of trees and open land - a calm and beautiful setting.

No comment on the rest but whaaaaaaaa???

The new canteen has increased the options fivefold. It's certainly not been cutback dramatically, for feck's sake it's clearly went way in the other direction!

Hi tucker tim - well, when I first arrived at sligo IT there was a functioning canteen in the fine art building, and a big canteen down the hill - with a good choice of main meals and snacks, and there was Wheatos or whatever the name was, above the Students Union. The fine art canteen closed a year ago, which meant we lost the experience of all years meeting in the canteen space, and tutors having their morning coffee in the same area. Last week I went down to the main campus to find some lunch. Doppios - a cafe with sandwiches cakes and coffee machines is still open. But the main canteen shut last year and now Wheatos is shut too. All I could find for a hot lunch was a cafe in the Education building which does salads with quiche or soup. Maybe I'm missing something? Where is 'the new canteen'?

Airswimmer wrote: »
    Hi tucker tim - well, when I first arrived at sligo IT there was a functioning canteen in the fine art building, and a big canteen down the hill - with a good choice of main meals and snacks, and there was Wheatos or whatever the name was, above the Students Union. The fine art canteen closed a year ago, which meant we lost the experience of all years meeting in the canteen space, and tutors having their morning coffee in the same area. Last week I went down to the main campus to find some lunch. Doppios - a cafe with sandwiches cakes and coffee machines is still open. But the main canteen shut last year and now Wheatos is shut too. All I could find for a hot lunch was a cafe in the Education building which does salads with quiche or soup. Maybe I'm missing something? Where is 'the new canteen'?

Don't mean to be rude but I'm incredulous that you could attend IT Sligo and not notice the massive new science building and canteen they've been building for the last two or three years! Surely someone would have mentioned it in passing, even in the fine arts building?

The reason Wheat's is closed is because there's a huge new canteen in the new building barely 100 meters away with more options than was ever in Wheat's. The old main canteen was closed because of the work on the new building. There's even a second area in the new canteen with its own counter that serves as a cafe. It's all run by O'Hehir's.

https://www.facebook.com/OHehirsFoodCourtITSligo

Hahaha - i went down and discovered it last week. What a dweeb I turned out to be! I wasn't aware that there was a new canteen being built, which may indeed say more about the isolation of the art dept than anything else I could write. So, for anyone reading the boards to get some idea about Fine Art at Sligo IT - there's lots of food available now, with a big choice. And the caramel slice in dopios is boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Nicolette2015

Quick on, maybe ABiskit you can help.

What is required for a portfolio? I have work from the past couple of years to present from Acrylic to Oil, Pastel and Coal, but are they looking for paintings? Different materials etc.?

Any help appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Talula123

Quick on, maybe ABiskit you can help.

What is required for a portfolio? I have work from the past couple of years to present from Acrylic to Oil, Pastel and Coal, but are they looking for paintings? Different materials etc.?

Any help appreciated :)

You're better off checking the college website for portfolio guidlines

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Talula123

As a former student of fine art in IT Sligo and a recent graduate im afraid I have to agree with most of the negative comments on this thread, I had a very difficult time in Sligo and the attitudes of some of the tutors left me feeling very out of place. The tutors often had favorites among the groups which affected how they treated the students, marked students work and also the amount of assistance and advice they offered students, I found this very unprofessional. In my first year during our reviews two of the tutors made a very nasty and disgusting comment to me that had nothing to do with my college work, when I tried to report the incident I was ignored, it just went round in circles and it made it very uncomfortable for me to be in certain tutors class's. Thankfully one of these tutors retired by the time I entered my second year so I no longer had to worry about her. I would certainly advise that you have thick skin when entering this course, I didn't and found myself being very affected by the negative attitudes and out of place criticism.
    The DLBM classes where a waste of time, students made complaints about the unprofessional lectures but of course nothing changed.
    The art department itself is very separate from the main campus and is up a long and steep hill, this is difficult for students who don't drive, particularly when you're carrying big or heavy materials. My art history lecturer gave me little to no help on my thesis despite sitting outside his office for hours and days, he made a few corrections to my draft but told me that mostly it was fine, my final results for my thesis were extremely disappointing, I soon discovered that the majority of my year had the same experience.

On a positive side I found the tutors to be very accommodating and understanding towards students in financial difficulties, excusing them from partaking in college trips, allowing them to use cheap or recycled materials and often giving tips on inexpensive resources as substitutes.

As another poster stated you don't have to stay for the 4 years, no one is holding a gun to your head but it can be a difficult and costly experience to transfer to another college, one of my main reasons for going to Sligo was that it was an affordable place to live compared to most other parts of the country.

If I knew all that I know now, I don't feel I would have gone to Sligo for college, over all I didn't have a very nice experience

• Registered Users Posts: 1 tomph

it would be ideal if one could transfer to a different college after 2 years, someone said Sligo is better now than it was before, that was a good comment. Im in Limerick School of Art and Design. it is true we are on our own. its not like Chinese art schools where you are shown how to Practically make like a master sculptor. I am more hands on,like how conceptual art plays with my mind too. painting was my first choice but i became so offended by 2 painting lecturers i went for sculpture. i dont like being told what to do, like authority and sometimes it seems the institution of education creates robots, always wary of that, there are areas you should not go- politically especially- thats not right but thats the way it is. i seen Galway and Sligo, Galway is disorganised and hearing from folks that went there the tutors arent bothered and often they dont show up. Sligo was more attractive to me as a county, still i think of transferring but i wont now. The students seemed more real and interesting in Sligo, that is a big one for me. Limericks opening days were like a melting pot of creativity melded together ready to boil over. They try to keep theyre name of the 50th best fashion school in the world and all other artforms. The fashion students are worked like slave labour. i learned to have a thicker skin, learning. Art college, its a bit of a mad thing going to school for something as natural as art, i decided to go to find out more about art, i probably wont make it big because im not interested in that, the shallowness of it though, art to make a career its a contradiction really but i would work menially. the institutionalisation of it. i was let down by the fact that there is not as much freedom thats just an ideal of mine though feminism, equality is pushed , this is as far as theyre politics go. there is a difference between liberal and free, i generally do my own thing even though you are there to please them in a way which is the root of my problem. its a degree, what does that even mean? there are my bias' which i assume amount to some truths but. if im not lying to myself. its down to me how i view it or create an illusion of it. most people seem to love it there, faraway hills can be green, if Sligo is that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

I'm a little late with posting here but perhaps my experience can help somebody else.

Unfortunately I have to agree with many of the negative comments regarding IT Sligo fine art dept and unprofessional tutors, I found the tutors favouring certain students, when doing my thesis I had no help from my tutor at all, I sent him emails, sat outside his office, he would always just tell me to come back later. I requested more time to do the thesis but I was refused, I soon discovered that a number of my classmates had the same problem and we were very disappointed with our results while a select few were given a 3 month extension on their thesis and the tutor dedicated most of his time to them. Some of these students even boasted about how they were getting outside help on their thesis from tutors in different colleges and past pupils. Of course to the staff in sligo this showed dedication to the work but in reality those students just happened to be better connected than the rest of us or were able to pay people for extra support so they received more help.

One tutor became very friendly with certain students, they all regularly met up outside college and even went to the tutors home and had dinner with his family. One of these students was in the space directly behind mine during our final year degree assessments. The tutor walked past my space and I asked him for advice on my lay out. He said he didn't know and wasn't allowed to assist. Walked into the next space with one of his buddy students and proceeded to hang her work and helped her to arrange her entire space.

There was very little instruction with regards to producing work, all year the tutors would insist you're doing fine, offer no assistance and then give a terrible mark in assessments and tell you everything that was wrong.

Some positives - Brendan the technician is an absolute gem. If youre well connected then sligo is the place for you. Seamus, another staff member was extremely helpful and also the art shop in the art dept is great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 IT Sligo Graduate

I can genuinely say that this course was one of the worst experiences of my life. The bullying and humiliation by staff towards students is unbelievable and destroyed my confidence in a subject I love as well as having a very negative impact on my emotional wellbeing throughout my time on the course.

Throughout my time there, and particularly in third year, I felt completely coerced into creating artwork I did not want to do and was uncomfortable doing. During my unhappiness there, I was asked during a group tutorial with other students to smile (by a tutor), as the tutor would sit in silence and wait for me to smile. "Smile for me", were the exact words used by the tutor, which she repeated, and waited.  

I was reassured in my interview, in which I applied for second year, that I would be allowed to drop to second year two weeks into the course, as the tutors who interviewed me suggested I begin the course in third year instead.

In the first few weeks of the course, as I was meeting tutors for the first time, one of the male drawing tutors saw my work and labelled it “boring”. He then, perhaps for his own entertainment, showed me a black and white image of naked men on his phone whipping each other, some “artwork”, and he stared at me asking me what I thought of the image. It was completely inappropriate of him to do that. Art tutors will use the excuse of having to show art to students, but as a man, to show a young woman an image of naked men on your phone after you have only met her is wholly inappropriate, (would you do that to your daughters?).  The same tutor then told me that the paper I was drawing on was insulting to art as it was not the correct paper to draw on. I was actually using the paper that was supplied by Seamus in the art department, which is ordered in by the art department, supplied by the college, you ignorant buffoon.

A few weeks into third year I knew I was completely overwhelmed, which I expressed to tutors and asked to be dropped down to second year, which I was not supported in doing. I still have the email from my interview confirming I would be allowed to do so, and I also have the emails asking to be placed in second year shortly after I began the course. I find it bizarre that I was not permitted to drop down to second year, given that another drawing tutor, this time a female, told me that my quality of drawing was similar to that of a leaving cert student. Ok, girl, but you met me and saw my work at the interview, and then decided that I would go into third year.  

To continue, another male tutor commented on my body during a tutorial and proceeded to insult me throughout the tutorial. It gets better, folks. The same tutor was also complained by a female student for inappropriate behaviour towards another female student that year…he’s still there, like the rest of them. 

Throughout my fourth year, we had no allocated rooms for one of our modules, and the tutor decided that the students should be the ones organising rooms for our timetabled modules. This meant that students were booking rooms in the library for the tutor's classes, which should have been done by the IT and not the students. Not even the tutor could have been arsed to find a room for her own module, she left it up to the students to find efficient rooms every week for months. 

Wait, it gets better again. The same tutor, whom we were timetabled for at nine o’clock on a Thursday morning, decided to stay in bed one morning and leave all of her students waiting for her in the college. I messaged her on Facebook asking her if she was coming to work, and I still have the messages on my phone. It is unbelievable what goes on in this course. 

When this same tutor found out that I wished to become a second level art teacher, she proceeded to pretend to vomit twice, sticking her tongue out, gagging in the presence of all fourth years at the time. These people are genuinely horrible. They are pathetic, and I will honestly say that there are too many tutors for the number of students on the course. There were three times the number of tutors as there were third and fourth years when I was there, which highlights the high dropout rate of students on the course.     

To go to college everyday and experience bullying by your tutors is wrong. The college have gotten many complaints regarding the above tutors, and they are still there. The college does not care about getting rid of them, and because nothing serious or to any great effect has been done about their behaviour, the bullying continues, because they keep getting away with it.

The wrong people are in the job there, and I can genuinely say that art in college is a complete waste of time and money. I have met so many people who have gone on to do art at IT Sligo and elsewhere, and they hate it. Community colleges are much better in teaching you skill and teaching it with respect.  The teachers there also don’t have egos and their artworks are actually good too.

It was quite honestly the worst academic experience of my life and one of the overall worst experiences of my life. To quote another female tutor who would laugh sarcastically in my face, 'this is not a sweet shop, you can’t just pick and choose what you want’. And that is exactly it, they will laugh at you and beat you down emotionally, making you feel like you’re in the wrong, and if they see you doing work they don’t like, they knock you down until you do what they want. It’s complete gaslighting. They are abusers, plain and simple.

Advertisement