Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elementary [CBS - US] [** Spoilers **]

Options
1101112131416»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yeah they're really going out on a high. Can't fault any of them this season.
    This week's one was excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Reichenbach, eh? Interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 85,059 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

It starts on Sky Witness on Tuesday July 16th at 9pm

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Episode 11; now that was a roller coaster of emotions and unexpected events. I like
    how they are building him up as being untouchable and that even his father the master mind can't handle him.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Nody wrote: »
    Episode 11; now that was a roller coaster of emotions and unexpected events. I like
    how they are building him up as being untouchable and that even his father the master mind can't handle him.

They are knocking it out of the park!!
    Considering the comeback of a Holmes in the Reichenbach falls in the books, I think Morland still lives.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Damn, I knew the moment
    Morland and Sherlock had their little reconciliation, the dad was a goner. That and it being the last season, writers love burning as many narrative bridges as possible
    . A really good setup for those last 2 episodes. Hell hath no fury like a Sherlock on the loose.

I've loved this last season, really tight pacing (hooray for 13 episode runs TBH), with the final threat ramped up slowly but surely. Between this and last season I'm glad Elementary is going out on a high; the Shinwell dirge of season 5 was a brief but worrying wobble.

Said it before, I'll say it again and to anyone who'll listen: Elementary is a fantastic Sherlock Holmes adaptation, and would argue one of the best.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Strong season and a very good antagonist. It's always much more interesting when the villain of the piece believes they're actually doing a good thing. Frain seems very well fit for the role.

Unlike the recent iZombie the final season's plot arc is unfolding at a good pace, tying in very nicely into the case-of-the-week. Quite confident it'll end on a high.
    pixelburp wrote: »
    Said it before, I'll say it again and to anyone who'll listen: Elementary is a fantastic Sherlock Holmes adaptation, and would argue one of the best.
    Indeed. For my money, it's streets ahead over Moffat's overrated "Sherlock".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Episode 12; one single word O M F G...

There are definitive parallels to a certain scene in the Sherlock Holmes books.

Yeah that was excellent, but the ending
    in Italy
    fell a bit flat.

Last ever episode next week, so it'll be interesting to see what they do with it.

Mr E wrote: »
    Yeah that was excellent, but the ending
    in Italy
    fell a bit flat.

Last ever episode next week, so it'll be interesting to see what they do with it.
    Agree on the spoiler; felt that was something that would have been better in the final episode but seeing how on point they have been to date I'm sure the reason will be given next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,294 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

A great take on a classic Sherlock Holmes moment expect for that final scene, Hopefully it makes sense next week.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

ixoy wrote: »
    Indeed. For my money, it's streets ahead over Moffat's overrated "Sherlock".
    I liked Sherlock, but I found it a tad up itself more than not. I'm gonna miss Elementary, but thankfully it got a good run of seasons and this final run is a cracker in my humble. Pity Moriarty didn't figure in this season.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    I liked Sherlock, but I found it a tad up itself more than not. I'm gonna miss Elementary, but thankfully it got a good run of seasons and this final run is a cracker in my humble. Pity Moriarty didn't figure in this season.
    I think the general lack of using Moriarty in general as a overarching plot was a great loss of potential; no reason why she could not be behind supporting multiple of the items that happened or fighting a shadow war with Holmes senior, twist emotions around at key moments etc. but such is life.

I know Natalie Dormer is quite busy, but it would be fantastic if she showed up in the finale.

Moriarty said she'd take over Morland's organisation if he died.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

A final episode cameo seems eminently possible; actors are often happy enough to return knowing it's a definite end and there's no future conflicts to worry about. Doubly so if it their character is bumped off. Could easily see Dormer turning up, as part of Sherlock cashing in all his remaining chips to defeat Reichenbach.

I enjoyed that. Time jumps can often seem lazy but they worked well here.

Joan's situation and the
    funeral
    - putting those scenes back to back was f**king cruel man....

Robert Doherty is an asshole. Now I have to go to work with bloodshot eyes. :o

Mr E wrote: »
    I enjoyed that. Time jumps can often seem lazy but they worked well here.

Joan's situation and the
    funeral
    - putting those scenes back to back was f**king cruel man....

Robert Doherty is an asshole. Now I have to go to work with bloodshot eyes. :o
    To damn true; also worthy ending of the series while sticking to the main characters closing down the story lines etc. while leaving an opening for potential future seasons in case something changes.

Have to say one of the best show endings in a long while esp. compared to certain other shows *cough* GoT *cough*.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,294 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Nice set up for the odd movie of the week over the years if they want to go down that route.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,253 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Don't know if I liked that ending
    Nothing actually happened, storylines that had no point - last few minutes were the only thing I enjoyed

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Good ending. A nice fitting nod to the original books, allowing outstanding plot elements to tie up such as Joan finally adopting, Marcus moving up in his career and Gregson retiring. It also though gave us room for a TV movie with more series and didn't cheapen Moriarty by killing her off screen or trying to wrap up her story in 40 minutes.

Sad to see the show go but it went out on a high, more than most shows can say especially when in their seventh season.

• Advertisement

I think it would have been a nice story beat to see the back of a blond haired lady somewhere in the final scenes, just to plant that doubt about Moriarty. Didn't necessarily have to be Dormer either...

An understated but emotionally impactful ending; the
    cancer
    subplot felt rushed, possibly an excuse for a cheap bait n' switch at the end, but give it all worked out fine I can't be too annoyed by it either. A strange finale really, given the Big Bad was solved and 3 years in the rearview before the credits even rolled. This finale amounted to a job offer for Sherlock, threaded with some send-offs.

I'd say that's that though; the story's done, but with that nice sense of our characters getting on with their lives, a wide open road ahead of them to allow us to imagine future adventures. I'm a broken record but this has been the best modern interpretation of Sherlock I've watched and hopefully over time it gets more recognition for this than it perhaps currently enjoys.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,947 ✭✭✭fitz

pixelburp wrote: »
    An understated but emotionally impactful ending; the
    cancer
    subplot felt rushed, possibly an excuse for a cheap bait n' switch at the end, but give it all worked out fine I can't be too annoyed by it either. A strange finale really, given the Big Bad was solved and 3 years in the rearview before the credits even rolled. This finale amounted to a job offer for Sherlock, threaded with some send-offs.

I'd say that's that though; the story's done, but with that nice sense of our characters getting on with their lives, a wide open road ahead of them to allow us to imagine future adventures. I'm a broken record but this has been the best modern interpretation of Sherlock I've watched and hopefully over time it gets more recognition for this than it perhaps currently enjoys.

It's hands down the most human, warm and moving depiction of Holmes and Watson's relationship, which I think it's at the heart of what made it such a great adaptation. Will miss it, but a really nice send-off imo.

Advertisement