Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternatives to Catholicism?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Festus wrote: »
    When God put Adam and Eve together in the first marriage His instruction was - apologies for the paraphrase - "be fruitful and multipy, fill the earth and subdue it" - Genesis 1:28

Contraception is breaking that command from God.

Is that simple enough?

It's about as simple as keeping the taps running once the bath is overflowing onto the floor and then saying, "But you told me to fill the bath!"

Mankind has well and truly filled the earth with 7 billion people. It shouldn't take too much common sense to stop filling it when it is already overfull.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Vindicator

From http://jahtruth.net/darth.htm:

It has been known for centuries that the Vatican is "The Mother of Harlots" referred to by Christ in Revelation/Apocalypse chapter 17; which explains perfectly that it is that great CITY (Vatican CITY) that rules over the kings of the earth; that sits on 7 mountains (Rome), where the inhabitants wear SCARLET (cardinals) and PURPLE (bishops) decked with gold; precious stones and pearls and calls itself "Mother" church.

However, Christ calls her "Mother of Abominations"; his ENEMY and the great WHORE and He, NOT the pope, MUST be right.

That is WHY the Vatican, to HIDE the Truth about itself, PROHIBITED the possession of and reading of the Holy Bible, for centuries. (Don't you think it strange for a religion to prohibit its followers from having and reading God's Book? Ever wondered why?). The very fact that they did this PROVES that they KNOW exactly who and what they are and that they are actually Christ's ENEMY and are actively and vigorously fighting for Satan against Christ (Rev./Apoc. 17:14-18). For further PROOF watch out for their reaction to this Gospel Truth, as no doubt they will try to have it banned. (Down-load and SAVE it quickly - NOW).

The Vatican also sells a false list of "The Ten Commandments" which purposely ommits COMMANDment number 2; the one about not making and/or bowing down to graven images and idols; even though the Catholic Bible itself includes the CORRECT list of COMMANDments (Exodus 20:4-6; Deuteronomy 4:16 and 5:8-10); PROVING that they KNOW full well that they are DOING WRONG; that they are not only disobeying but are actually committing TREASON against God and that they are teaching idolatry; for which God COMMANDS, REPEATEDLY in The Torah/Pentateuch/Covenant/Song of Moses, endorsed by Christ (Rev./Apoc. 14:3 and 15:3), that they, and ALL, who do that HAVE TO BE stoned to death.

It is bad enough that the pope himself, by his deeds, is obviously an atheist; either that or he WANTS to commit spiritual suicide and BURN; but to DECEIVE two thousand million people, to FOLLOW and BURN with him, is the greatest CRIME of ALL. That is why Paul calls the papacy the son of the Destroyer.

The Bible says that the Messiah/Christ will destroy the whore (The Vatican) with the TRUTH*; from his Place of Defence - The munitions [Fortress] of Rock - Gibraltar (Isaiah 33:16-17) and that the WHORE is going to BURN; and the pope with her, along with ALL those who have willingly ALLOWED themselves to be deceived by her or her "Harlot Daughters" - the other "so-called christian churches", because, as Paul puts it in 2 Thessalonians 2 v 10-12 :- "they believed not the TRUTH (Christ), but had pleasure in unrighteousness" (willingly breaking God's COMMANDments with their priests' permission - Isaiah 5:20-21 and 2 Corinthians 11:13-15 :- "For such [are] FALSE apostles, deceitful workers, transforming THEMSELVES into the apostles of Christ. And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light. Therefore [it is] no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works [NOT words].").

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭homer911

Vindicator wrote: »

It has been known for centuries that the Vatican is "The Mother of Harlots" referred to by Christ in Revelation/Apocalypse chapter 17; which explains perfectly that it is that great CITY (Vatican CITY) that rules over the kings of the earth; that sits on 7 mountains (Rome), where the inhabitants wear SCARLET (cardinals) and PURPLE (bishops) decked with gold; precious stones and pearls and calls itself "Mother" church.

However, Christ calls her "Mother of Abominations"; his ENEMY and the great WHORE and He, NOT the pope, MUST be right.

That is WHY the Vatican, to HIDE the Truth about itself, PROHIBITED the possession of and reading of the Holy Bible, for centuries. (Don't you think it strange for a religion to prohibit its followers from having and reading God's Book? Ever wondered why?). The very fact that they did this PROVES that they KNOW exactly who and what they are and that they are actually Christ's ENEMY and are actively and vigorously fighting for Satan against Christ (Rev./Apoc. 17:14-18). For further PROOF watch out for their reaction to this Gospel Truth, as no doubt they will try to have it banned. (Down-load and SAVE it quickly - NOW).

The Vatican also sells a false list of "The Ten Commandments" which purposely ommits COMMANDment number 2; the one about not making and/or bowing down to graven images and idols; even though the Catholic Bible itself includes the CORRECT list of COMMANDments (Exodus 20:4-6; Deuteronomy 4:16 and 5:8-10); PROVING that they KNOW full well that they are DOING WRONG; that they are not only disobeying but are actually committing TREASON against God and that they are teaching idolatry; for which God COMMANDS, REPEATEDLY in The Torah/Pentateuch/Covenant/Song of Moses, endorsed by Christ (Rev./Apoc. 14:3 and 15:3), that they, and ALL, who do that HAVE TO BE stoned to death.

It is bad enough that the pope himself, by his deeds, is obviously an atheist; either that or he WANTS to commit spiritual suicide and BURN; but to DECEIVE two thousand million people, to FOLLOW and BURN with him, is the greatest CRIME of ALL. That is why Paul calls the papacy the son of the Destroyer.

The Bible says that the Messiah/Christ will destroy the whore (The Vatican) with the TRUTH*; from his Place of Defence - The munitions [Fortress] of Rock - Gibraltar (Isaiah 33:16-17) and that the WHORE is going to BURN; and the pope with her, along with ALL those who have willingly ALLOWED themselves to be deceived by her or her "Harlot Daughters" - the other "so-called christian churches", because, as Paul puts it in 2 Thessalonians 2 v 10-12 :- "they believed not the TRUTH (Christ), but had pleasure in unrighteousness" (willingly breaking God's COMMANDments with their priests' permission - Isaiah 5:20-21 and 2 Corinthians 11:13-15 :- "For such [are] FALSE apostles, deceitful workers, transforming THEMSELVES into the apostles of Christ. And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light. Therefore [it is] no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works [NOT words].").

Welcome to boards! Rather than post a long rambling quote from someone else, it would be helpful for everyone if you made it shorter, and gave us your on opinion on the piece - this is a discussion forum after all, not a copy and paste forum...

homer911 wrote: »
    Welcome to boards! Rather than post a long rambling quote from someone else, it would be helpful for everyone if you made it shorter, and gave us your on opinion on the piece - this is a discussion forum after all, not a copy and paste forum...
    If someone cannot be bothered to read that much, they are doomed to ignorance.

My opinions are not going to help anyone.

If someone said it better than I can, copy and paste is the way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Northclare

The very reason I am wary of the Catholic church is the worship of Idols and praying to statues .

I don't mind praying to Jesus or God but other than that I'm sceptical.

God will or has judged the saints that's Gods business not mine.

I'm not going to be a saint but I'm willing to go along a path of self discovery and take my time in making a decision.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Re: Statues - The statue I find is a helpful visualisation, it is not itself worshipped but instead forms an easement of communication. For instance in Churches, stain glass windows both help tell a story and are means of expressing visual beauty of God's creation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭gimmebroadband

I was half expecting to see Dan Brown in the credits!

Northclare wrote: »
    The very reason I am wary of the Catholic church is the worship of Idols and praying to statues .

I don't mind praying to Jesus or God but other than that I'm sceptical.

God will or has judged the saints that's Gods business not mine.

I'm not going to be a saint but I'm willing to go along a path of self discovery and take my time in making a decision.

We do NOT worship idols or pray to statues, they help us to visualise the person to whom we pray, like a family photo! Some would say that Protestants worship a book, after all Jesus didn't leave any written texts, because He is the WORD made flesh, and He gave Authority to the Apostles and their successors to 'preach' the good news, not a bible!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 La Petite Fleur

The very reason I am wary of the Catholic church is the worship of Idols and praying to statues

The old myths are still the best ones eh ? I've never seen any Catholic 'worship an idol' or 'pray to' any statue.

By all means choose which Christian denomination fits with you best, but please don't disingenuously pretend what other denominations actually believe and practice. That is in fact far less Christian, and we are all brothers and sisters in Christ. A little bit of ecumenity goes a long way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Keylem

O man, from the mouth of Darth Vader himself, lol!

It was the Lord who instructed Moses as the the type and colour of the High Priest's garments, purple, scarlet and gold!
    From the blue, purple and scarlet yarn they made woven garments for ministering in the sanctuary. They also made sacred garments for Aaron, as the LORD commanded Moses.
    Exodus 39:1

The High Priest, the Holy of Holies, prefigured the Priest and the Divine Presence in the Holy Eucharist.

http://www.therealpresence.org/eucharst/scrip/a6.html

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Festus

PDN wrote: »
    It's about as simple as keeping the taps running once the bath is overflowing onto the floor and then saying, "But you told me to fill the bath!"

Mankind has well and truly filled the earth with 7 billion people. It shouldn't take too much common sense to stop filling it when it is already overfull.

It's not your call. It's not our call.

It's God's call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Is it God's call? - Did He say that it was wrong for married couples to express their sexuality in a recreational manner? Did He say that every instance of sexual expression was for reproduction?

If so please show me the passage of Scripture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

philologos wrote: »
    Is it God's call? - Did He say that it was wrong for married couples to express their sexuality in a recreational manner? Did He say that every instance of sexual expression was for reproduction?

the songs of Solomon are all about the pleasure rather than reproductiom

Sure we should enjoy each other's bodies through the union of Christian marriage., but not everyone conceives due to being barren etc., perhaps it God's way of keeping the population in check, and He also created women with menstrual cycles to help with family planning the natural way.

Natural deaths, disease, disasters, famine, accidents etc, decreases the population significantly on a daily basis! ;)

He also created women with menstrual cycles to help with family planning the natural way.

I find that belief fascinating. So do you think God created dogs and cats with menstrual cycles to help them plan the number of their puppies and kittens in a natural way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Sure we should enjoy each other's bodies through the union of Christian marriage., but not everyone conceives due to being barren etc., perhaps it God's way of keeping the population in check, and He also created women with menstrual cycles to help with family planning the natural way.

Natural deaths, disease, disasters, famine, accidents etc, decreases the population significantly on a daily basis! ;)

Natural family planning differs from artificial contraception in one way alone - artificial contraception works more effectively. That's it - the intention is still the same. Surely you're not arguing in favour of the rhythm method because it gives God a sporting chance!

As you say people do die from wars and natural disasters every day - people are born every day too and the world population is about twice what it was 100 years ago. Growth rates have begun to fall for a number of reasons - better reproductive health and contraception being one. If you are seriously arguing that God uses war and famine to keep the world population in check, and to save us from having to use contraception (which I don't believe for a second btw), then I'd have to say that is a truly monstrous image of God to have.

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    Natural family planning differs from artificial contraception in one way alone - artificial contraception works more effectively. That's it - the intention is still the same. Surely you're not arguing in favour of the rhythm method because it gives God a sporting chance!

As you say people do die from wars and natural disasters every day - people are born every day too and the world population is about twice what it was 100 years ago. Growth rates have begun to fall for a number of reasons - better reproductive health and contraception being one. If you are seriously arguing that God uses war and famine to keep the world population in check, and to save us from having to use contraception (which I don't believe for a second btw), then I'd have to say that is a truly monstrous image of God to have.

Disasters etc., was put in a seperate paragraph intentionally because many if not all of them are man-made. The rythm method is naturally occurring, and can be used to space out family, God designed us that way - He didn't create us with a packet of pills and condoms with instructions on how to use them!

PDN, humans don't normally have up to 10+ babies twice a year, unlike dogs and cats etc, plus animals have natural predators to keep their population down, humans being the major source of culling animals. We eat them for food etc. In Genesis God gave man dominion over the animals, fish, birds, and plants!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Disasters etc., was put in a seperate paragraph intentionally because many if not all of them are man-made. The rythm method is naturally occurring, and can be used to space out family, God designed us that way - He didn't create us with a packet of pills and condoms with instructions on how to use them!

PDN, humans don't normally have 10 babies twice a year, unlike puppies kittens etc, plus animals have natural predators to keep their population down, humans being the major source of culling animals. We eat them for food etc.

The rhythm method is no more natural than any other method - it's a very old method that goes back many centuries and which has been gradually refined, but someone still had to work it out, so it's manmade. God didn't supply us with packets of condoms, but he didn't supply us with prosthetic limbs, pacemakers and cardiacstints stints either, and very few would argue that we shouldn't use those.

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    The rhythm method is no more natural than any other method - it's a very old method that goes back many centuries and which has been gradually refined, but someone still had to work it out, so it's manmade. God didn't supply us with packets of condoms, but he didn't supply us with prosthetic limbs, pacemakers and cardiacstints stints either, and very few would argue that we shouldn't use those.

You're analogy is flawed, one makes life easier, the other prevents life from happening. I suggest you read the following article on what the Scriptures say:

http://www.catholicsource.net/abcbible.html
    The Historic Christian Teaching

Few realize that up until 1930, all Protestant denominations agreed with the Catholic Church’s teaching condemning contraception as sinful. At its 1930 Lambeth Conference, the Anglican church, swayed by growing social pressure, announced that contraception would be allowed in some circumstances. Soon the Anglican church completely caved in, allowing contraception across the board. Since then, all other Protestant denominations have followed suit. Today, the Catholic Church alone proclaims the historic Christian position on contraception.
    Evidence that contraception is in conflict with God’s laws comes from a variety of sources that will be examined in the following tract.

http://www.catholic.com/tracts/birth-control

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

I want to follow vindicator, I have seen the light! PDN's plan has worked! If we allow enough crazies to post that the pope is an atheist then the forum will literally combust and he will be free of his mod duties! Genius, PDN, genius!

• Advertisement

I suppose if one was to be honest with themselves and used their common sense, the seven deadly sins are running amongst the population like wildfire.

All the sexualized advertising,soap operas,so called reality tv music video's and the fashion industry telling us its ok to flaunt it is bound to have an impact on society.

Lust was always there but nowadays its all around catching people left right and center.

Whoever hasn't had lustful thoughts is a liar.

Lust can come in many different forms,its a very selfish defect of character and also self destructive in its nature.

A person can lust after a simple object it might even be the lust for political gain material gain or after something someone has that you want.

There are advantages to having no tv internet or a trophy husband or wife.

If society was as sexualized today as it was 300 years ago would the world population be as big ?

There ate advantages to living a simple life on the hills but the simple life can drive you simple too LOL

So can arguing on forums about, bibles,scripture,religion,spirituality, and atheism LOL

I suppose if one was to be honest with themselves and used their common sense, the seven deadly sins are running amongst the population like wildfire.

All the sexualized advertising,soap operas,so called reality tv music video's and the fashion industry telling us its ok to flaunt it is bound to have an impact on society.

Lust was always there but nowadays its all around catching people left right and center.

Whoever hasn't had lustful thoughts is a liar.

Lust can come in many different forms,its a very selfish defect of character and also self destructive in its nature.

A person can lust after a simple object it might even be the lust for political gain material gain or after something someone has that you want.

There are advantages to having no tv internet or a trophy husband or wife.

If society was as sexualized today as it was 300 years ago would the world population be as big ?

There ate advantages to living a simple life on the hills but the simple life can drive you simple too LOL

So can arguing on forums about, bibles,scripture,religion,spirituality, and atheism LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

Er, yes.
    however if society had the same medical procedures then.... no.

Keylem wrote: »
    O man, from the mouth of Darth Vader himself, lol!

It was the Lord who instructed Moses as the the type and colour of the High Priest's garments, purple, scarlet and gold!

Exodus 39:1

The High Priest, the Holy of Holies, prefigured the Priest and the Divine Presence in the Holy Eucharist.

http://www.therealpresence.org/eucharst/scrip/a6.html
    Do not underestimate the power of the dark side!

[SIZE=+1][/SIZE]...The Black Pope -The Supreme Jesuit General, who is shown symbolically in the "Starwars" trilogy of films as Darth Vader, wearing a fake "Breastplate of Aaron", faithfully serving his emperor Satan, AGAINST the JEDI (Je/Di -Je... Di...... Jesus Disciple) rebel, Luke (the Light giver), who is a TRUE follower of Christ.
    http://jahtruth.net/darth.htm

The first High Priest was Aaron. The priesthood was abolished by Christ, Who is the only High Priest since. All the other priests, like the pope, are fake and serve satan.

I want to follow vindicator, I have seen the light! PDN's plan has worked! If we allow enough crazies to post that the pope is an atheist then the forum will literally combust and he will be free of his mod duties! Genius, PDN, genius!
    Are you implying that you are sane? If you cannot see the Truth when it hits you in the face, then you are living a lie and your condescending attitude is an attempt to hide your ego from having to face the facts.

We do NOT worship idols or pray to statues, they help us to visualise the person to whom we pray, like a family photo! Some would say that Protestants worship a book, after all Jesus didn't leave any written texts, because He is the WORD made flesh, and He gave Authority to the Apostles and their successors to 'preach' the good news, not a bible!
    Why do they have "Graven Images" of a Cross and a worthless human body (John 6:63) like The Christ used? It is because that is where they want to keep Christ. Outside, on the Cross, and dead, where He can cause them no trouble (like all pagan idols), instead of alive and inside, living in their hearts and minds, guiding their steps and lives, 24 hrs. a day, with His Light of TRUTH and burning out all evil (lies) with His fiery (not watery) baptism; just like Paul said (Galatians 2:20).

The popes claim to be the closest person to God, when God Himself says, through Christ, that they are the "lowest of the low", and it is written in Matt. 5 v 19 and Luke 13 v 25-27. "Anyone who breaks the least of the COMMANDments and teaches others to do the same (e.g. bowing down to graven images) is the least in the Kingdom of heaven."- COMMANDment 2, in The Bible, says, "YOU shall NOT create a graven image of ANYTHING that is in HEAVEN or on the earth or under the earth or in the sea and YOU shall NOT bow down and worship them.

Why do they have "Graven Images" of a Cross and a worthless human body (John 6:63) like The Christ used? It is because that is where they want to keep Christ. Outside, on the Cross, and dead, where He can cause them no trouble (like all pagan idols), instead of alive and inside, living in their hearts and minds, guiding their steps and lives, 24 hrs. a day, with His Light of TRUTH and burning out all evil (lies) with His fiery (not watery) baptism; just like Paul said (Galatians 2:20).

The popes claim to be the closest person to God, when God Himself says, through Christ, that they are the "lowest of the low", and it is written in Matt. 5 v 19 and Luke 13 v 25-27. "Anyone who breaks the least of the COMMANDments and teaches others to do the same (e.g. bowing down to graven images) is the least in the Kingdom of heaven."- COMMANDment 2, in The Bible, says, "YOU shall NOT create a graven image of ANYTHING that is in HEAVEN or on the earth or under the earth or in the sea and YOU shall NOT bow down and worship them.

Moderator's warning
    Vindicator, please consider this as your one and only informal warning. Please read the Forum Charter, particularly the clause that refers to unreasonable antagonism and bigotry. Then tone down the rhetoric.

Catholicism is ok but not for everyone as we all have different ways of looking at things.

What I like in spades you might like in diamonds.

The problems arise when one Christian branch attempts to make out its producing more fruit than the rest,some people like peaches that's ok more like red apples that's ok too some like roses I'm open to that, more like pears but yet all those fruits are in the botanical family called rosaceae.

Some fruit might be sour more sweet some are tough others are soft but yet they are all from the rosacea family.

What I'm saying is who cares about what branch of Christianity one comes from as long as they have can stand together on common ground without having the arrogance of being better than the other.

Jesus is the building block of the wall of Christianity and if you start taking down the blocks one by one,what's left ?

We could end up back with the blackbird and loose the bell.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Festus

That's a bit Protestant.

<que Liberty Bell - JP Sousa>

[Ding...] da dah da da da dah da da dah da dah da dah dahh. <ding> ...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 La Petite Fleur

The find it in my version of the book game ? Cool.
    Please show me the passage of Scripture, (chapters and verses please) where recreational sex and contraception, or even withdrawal method is endorsed. Please show me the passage of Scripture where the docterine of Sola Scriptura is proven ?

Advertisement