Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are all Irish workers crap or just lazy?

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

kjl wrote: »
    Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Do you mean "case in point" ?

If so, then how ? Strobe's post has nothing to do with your OP.

his tl;dl shear laziness.

Is he being paid to read your posts ?

P.S. The word is "sheer" and the phrase is "case in point", and it'd probably help people's attention span if you wrote your posts coherently - assuming you're not being lazy yourself, given that you're Irish ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

RonMexico wrote: »
    Just take a look at the public sector. Not the frontline staff but the backroom office middle management crowd. Inrfficient is their middle name.
    Spot on, and i work in the HSE, it's all about getting to the lucrative pension. An e-mail i saw recently contained a list of 154 managers and assistant managers, and all it was doing was notifying these departments of fire drills, each of these guys are on e80,000 plus per year!!
    Nobody tucked away in these offices ever makes a decision, or it takes weeks to get anything done.
    After coming from the private sector in the last few years it's an eye opener,the frontline staff are terrific, but they are constantly being underminded and thwarted by these middle managers who stall and delay everything just to justify their own existence and overblown salaries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Zorbas

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    How is it prejudice when that's what actually happened. Unless you're calling me a liar.

QUOTE]

Just realised that I had assumed above was not intended to be rhetorical so the answer is Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

Wait! You copy the receipts before you sent them in to be scanned???
    That strikes me as a massive duplication right there - you probably copy them on a digital machine which scans then prints the copy!

Most companies require the origonals be signed off and filed but the copies used for processing and stored electronically in accounts. They have an internal process so even if he sent scanned electronic copies direct to the scanning office the format may not suit their system (file format, layout, etc)and have to be rescanned.

From personal experience only a fool wouldnt keep copies of their expence receipts...

Point of note though. As the OP isnt working for the Irish office which is paying his expences they are probably being crosscharged to another office and having to be approved their before being paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

mikemac1 wrote: »
    All Irish workers are lazy, every foreigner is a brilliant worker

All Irish women are dogs and all Eastern Europeans are gorgeous

Irish workers are drunks yet you overlook Dutch and German companies have beer in their offices and in the UK, a liquid lunch on Fridays is common

Even though mass immigration is new to Ireland, all Irish people think they are too good to work in many jobs.
    Who was doing them before? :confused:

We elect crooks and deal with poor public services but nobody else does. Have you seen Italy?

Does that sum it up?
    Well it seems to be the world some of you live in

I have worked for and with many companies based in various countries.

In General (very general) terms form personal experience the Irish tend to work harder than the English, about on par with the Germans (although we dont tend to follow procedures and protocols as well and take shortcuts) way worse than the Swiss, worse than the Americans, but better than the Asians (although we do less hours we tend to be more inovative and more willing to make a decision)

In actual fact all companies / offices have lazy, cowardly, indicisive employees and all companies / offices have excellent, hard working, inovative employees. So your experience will vary from company to company and from office to office.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

knipex wrote: »
    I have worked for and with many companies based in various countries.

In General (very general) terms form personal experience the Irish tend to work harder than the English, about on par with the Germans (although we dont tend to follow procedures and protocols as well and take shortcuts) way worse than the Swiss, worse than the Americans, but better than the Asians (although we do less hours we tend to be more inovative and more willing to make a decision)

In actual fact all companies / offices have lazy, cowardly, indicisive employees and all companies / offices have excellent, hard working, inovative employees. So your experience will vary from company to company and from office to office.

I was watching" seconds from disaster" about the Munich rail disaster. A man was sitting on his seat when a big 4 by 6 solid piece of metal about 4 foot long shot through his seat and just missing him. It turned out to be the rim of one of the train wheel.

So rather then just hitting the communication cord, he walked to the back of the train to get the conductor. Then the conductor couldn't hit the cord till he seen the problem, so he walked back to the carriage to inspect it.

Before they got there the train derailed. 35 people died. If that was ireland we would be clambering over each other to press the communication cord.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Our Drink Culture has us tired a lot of the time and that's not Laziness .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

44leto wrote: »
    I was watching" seconds from disaster" about the Munich rail disaster. A man was sitting on his seat when a big 4 by 6 solid piece of metal about 4 foot long shot through his seat and just missing him. It turned out to be the rim of one of the train wheel.

So rather then just hitting the communication cord, he walked to the back of the train to get the conductor. Then the conductor couldn't hit the cord till he seen the problem, so he walked back to the carriage to inspect it.

Before they got there the train derailed. 35 people died. If that was ireland we would be clambering over each other to press the communication cord.

Lies. Hyper efficient perfectly maintains German trains never have any problems or even arrive late

Don't say bad things about the perfect Germans. If every nation was like Germany the words 'late' and 'broken' wouldn't exist

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Zorbas wrote: »
    Just realised that I had assumed above was not intended to be rhetorical so the answer is Yes.
    Another case of that "internet bigman" syndrome that's been doing the rounds I see.

Here I'll put the cream in the coffee for you, I also deflowered his delightful daughter with the help of my roguish fenian charm.

So much for prejudice.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Babybuff

My experience of Irish company's/workers is similar op, the crowd I'm working for right now are possibly the worst offenders to date and they employ over 1000 people across the country. I waited 6 weeks to get a form filled out for social welfare purposes despite being told I would have it the same week and calling them weekly after that. I was cut off while waiting. Last year it took three months for my tax cert to get posted. I get my holiday pay maybe a month after I've taken my holidays if I'm lucky. I lost my keycard and had no access to the building I work in and have never received a replacement regardless of being informed that I can no longer gain entry. The list goes on and I'd get a pain in my teeth if I were to log every complaint.
    Previous Irish company's I worked for in the logistics sector were so bad it was almost funny, I have no idea how they managed to continue operating as long as they did.

In comparison the multinationals I have worked for did everything quickly and to a t, without flaw and everytime. You only had to ask for something once.
    What really gets my goat about most of the Irish people I know is their attitude to timekeeping, forever late and not by minutes sometimes it runs into hours. (and I'm always early and always kept waiting)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭skregs

mikemac1 wrote: »
    How do you verify a qualification from her country.

If she has a qualification from University of Warsaw or even a place you've never heard of how do you check if it's real?

Genuinely asking here, I'm interested to know

WRT her qualifications, you can only take her at face value. But she did have relevant work experience in Ireland and it was apparent during her interview that she knew what she was talking about.
    As much as I would have preferred to hire an Irish person, my business comes before the welfare of the country in my eyes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

gigino wrote: »
    A multinational boss here once said he thought of Ireland as a third world country, with its inefficiency, corruption etc.

I suppose here in the republic we are not generally the best self-starters in ther world. Not very industrious.

Well that guy, quite frankly, is an idiot. The USA has far more problems with corruption for a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mercenary2

I work for a multinational company who have one of their offices located in Dublin. Now I don't actually work in the Dublin office, but as I am Irish they handle all the administrative work like scanning expenses receipts or if there are any issues ordering equipment.

Here in lies the question, I work with a group of people from all over Europe and they all have to use their home office for the same stuff I do. So the UK people use the UK office, the German people use the German office, but every one of them has things done efficiently and quickly. Not me though, it takes about 2 weeks to do anything in the Irish office.

Ill give a few examples
    me: send in an expense report, it takes about 2-3 weeks to get it processed
    colleagues: 2-3 days

I ordered a new phone through the company website
    colleagues: 4 days delivered
    me: 1 month

I had a simple issue with my company card,
    it took 2 weeks to resolve it.

Now you may say well maybe you are not following up with emails and phone calls. One time I was trying to contact a girl in the Irish office and I rang and emailed every single day for a week and I am still waiting to hear back from her.

And when I was offered the job, I was working with an exterior HR person, but I had to send my contract into the Irish office. I sent it in by hand on a Friday, then got a call on Wed asking me why I had not sent in. I went back into the office to find out they lost the contact and I had to fill out a whole new contract, with multiple steps involved.

So I ask, what's the deal? Why are Irish workers so bad at their job. This isn't just my company either, I have a lot of associates who do a similar job to me who are Irish based and they have the exact same issues.

come fishing with me u will soon see u cant last the work day and yes im irish and have worked over 48 hrs straight with 4 hours sleep before doing it again

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Crap, lazy and smelly the lot of them, except me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

mercenary2 wrote: »
    come fishing with me u will soon see u cant last the work day and yes im irish and have worked over 48 hrs straight with 4 hours sleep before doing it again

and it has clearly affected your ability to make sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

Third time to ask.
    Is it only Irish people who work in the Dublin office?
    Your failure to answer would suggest to me that there's more than just Irish people working there which will make your OP pretty much invalid.
    Seems to me it's yourself that's the problem!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Hmm. You're concerned about other people making sense?

gigino wrote: »
    A multinational boss here once said he thought of Ireland as a third world country, with its inefficiency, corruption etc.

Hmm, I was going to respond with my anecdotal evidence about how I, too, was talking to a multinational 'boss' once and he thought Ireland was a good place to invest, with a hard-working population to choose from. I would have included the high rate of foreign investment of multinational into opening operations here.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

mercenary2 wrote: »
    mercenary2, don't be lazy when typing "you".
    Chill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

I used to know this eastern european lad and he was the laziest f*cker to walk on the face of God's green earth

One day I went painting with him. He would put on a coat of paint and not wait for it to dry so he could go home earlier, real shoddy work too. No notion of taking the time to do the job properly.

After painting he went to the offie to buy 12 small bottles of cheap beer, after cribbing to me that we left too late. Next day I showed up earlier at his house to go painting with him and he was thrown on the couch asleep with only 2 bottles left.

Then he was doing a job for my neighbour and she found him sleeping in the grass after going to get shoppings. He painted a ceiling and wall for her as well that looked like shoite, parts where he put on too much paint and it started dripping. My neighbour had to watch him and make sure he'd let a coat dry first before painting over it and after it still wasn't brilliant.

Taking wheelbarrows of top soil he'd half fill them and walk very slowly with them and put on an obviously fake load of cribbing about his back.

Not only that but he'd be the biggest bluffer around. About 5 different professions he mentioned he was qualified in. Painting, plastering, mining and a couple more. He also claimed he could use a chainsaw but turned out he couldn't start it to save his life and didn't know you had to put chain oil in it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Zorbas

eth0 wrote: »
    I used to know this eastern european lad and he was the laziest f*cker to walk on the face of God's green earth
    He also claimed he could use a chainsaw but turned out he couldn't start it to save his life and didn't know you had to put chain oil in it

I used to know a guy (think he was Irish) who has his mother tie his shoe laces - but then would not write off a whole nation on the basis of such limited evidence.

• Advertisement
Advertisement