Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John Gilligan gets 6 more months

Options
  • 17-02-2012 5:44pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭

John Gilligan gets 6 more months on his sentance for having a mobile phone !

Quote:

Convicted drug dealer John Gilligan has been given a further six-month prison sentence by the Special Criminal Court after he pleaded guilty to possession of a mobile phone at Portlaoise District Court in 2010.

Gilligan was due for release from prison in April next year but today the court handed him a consecutive six month sentence.

Gilligan, 59, whose address was given as "care of Portlaoise Prison", pleaded guilty to possession of a "mobile telecommunications device" whilst in lawful custody at Portlaoise District Court on 30 March, 2010.

The native of Ballyfermot, Dublin was cleared in 2001 of the murder of journalist Veronica Guerin in June 1996.

However, he was convicted by the Special Criminal Court in March 2001 of 11 offences of unlawfully importing cannabis resin into the State on various dates between 1 July, 1994 and 6 October, 1996, and unlawful possession of cannabis resin for sale or supply on the same dates.

Gilligan was originally sentenced to 28 years in prison for the drugs offences, but this was reduced to 20 years on appeal.
    He was also convicted in June 2002 of threatening to kill two prison officers in March 2001 and was given a two year prison sentence to run consecutively after the 20 years sentence.

In March last year he was also given an eight month prison sentence at Portlaoise District Court for having a Nokia mobile phone in his cell at Portlaoise Prison on 30 July, 2008.

Detective Garda Pat Scully told the court that during his trial at Portlaoise District Court in 2010 Gilligan, who was defending himself, was seen by gardai rooting in a shopping bag which contained his legal documents.

He was seen to detach something from underneath the bench and to drop it in the bag. When Gilligan was searched by prison staff a mobile phone was retrieved from the shopping bag.

He was interviewed by gardaí about the mobile phone and he told them that he believed that when he was in court, the Prisons Act did not apply and he had not broken the law.

He told gardaí that he intended to use the phone to contact his solicitor and then he was going to break it up.
    Detective Garda Scully said that the earliest date for Gilligan's release from prison is April 2013.

Cross examined by Gilligan's counsel, Mr John Peart SC, Det Gda Scully agreed that John Gilligan had already been dealt with by the prison governor for having the mobile phone in court and had been given 60 days in the segregation unit with loss of privileges.

Mr Peart told the court that Gilligan has spent many years in prison and while in prison four members of his family have died.
    Mr Justice Paul Butler, presiding, said that the court had no experience of dealing with the offence but the Oireachtas has fixed a maximum of five years imprisonment for the charge.

He said that the court took the view that any sanction imposed must mean something to the accused to discourage others from committing the same offence and in the circumstances the court sentenced him to six months imprisonment to start from the conclusion of his current sentence

================================================

Wow - a judge actually handed out a sentance to a criminal for having a mobile phone in the jail cell - I am truly shocked.

I would expect this kind of thing in the US but here ??

Hopefully this is a sign that things are changing - justice wise ( but we all know they won't )

Other thoughts - Gilligan will be back on the street in early 2013.
    Who are his rivals, Dundon ?

Dundon v's Gilligan - who will win the streets back ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,043 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

If he got twenty years it 2001, why is he due out now? I'm assuming, having gotten further convitions for threatingt guards and possession of a mobile. good beahviou has gone out the window?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭RichieC

sucks we have to let them back out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

Stiffler2 wrote: »

i got 8/1 on gilligan in paddy powers earlier today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,268 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    If he got twenty years it 2001, why is he due out now? I'm assuming, having gotten further convitions for threatingt guards and possession of a mobile. good beahviou has gone out the window?

He actually got 28 years iirc.

I think it was cut by 8 on appeal or something and then obviously cut again.

What a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Who are his rivals,

Bananaman

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

WTF, when was he actually convicted? shouldn't it be 22 years and 6 months from that day? (minus time spent in custody before trial)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

Bananaman

ah bollix, if i had of known, i would have put me money on him :(

davet82 wrote: »
    ah bollix, if i had of known, i would have put me money on him :(

Bananaman is the good guy. Appleman is where the smart money is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

John Gilligan gets 6 more months on his sentance for having a mobile phone !

Quote:

Convicted drug dealer John Gilligan has been given a further six-month prison sentence by the Special Criminal Court after he pleaded guilty to possession of a mobile phone at Portlaoise District Court in 2010.

Gilligan was due for release from prison in April next year but today the court handed him a consecutive six month sentence.

Gilligan, 59, whose address was given as "care of Portlaoise Prison", pleaded guilty to possession of a "mobile telecommunications device" whilst in lawful custody at Portlaoise District Court on 30 March, 2010.

The native of Ballyfermot, Dublin was cleared in 2001 of the murder of journalist Veronica Guerin in June 1996.

However, he was convicted by the Special Criminal Court in March 2001 of 11 offences of unlawfully importing cannabis resin into the State on various dates between 1 July, 1994 and 6 October, 1996, and unlawful possession of cannabis resin for sale or supply on the same dates.

Gilligan was originally sentenced to 28 years in prison for the drugs offences, but this was reduced to 20 years on appeal.
    He was also convicted in June 2002 of threatening to kill two prison officers in March 2001 and was given a two year prison sentence to run consecutively after the 20 years sentence.

In March last year he was also given an eight month prison sentence at Portlaoise District Court for having a Nokia mobile phone in his cell at Portlaoise Prison on 30 July, 2008.

Detective Garda Pat Scully told the court that during his trial at Portlaoise District Court in 2010 Gilligan, who was defending himself, was seen by gardai rooting in a shopping bag which contained his legal documents.

He was seen to detach something from underneath the bench and to drop it in the bag. When Gilligan was searched by prison staff a mobile phone was retrieved from the shopping bag.

He was interviewed by gardaí about the mobile phone and he told them that he believed that when he was in court, the Prisons Act did not apply and he had not broken the law.

He told gardaí that he intended to use the phone to contact his solicitor and then he was going to break it up.
    Detective Garda Scully said that the earliest date for Gilligan's release from prison is April 2013.

Cross examined by Gilligan's counsel, Mr John Peart SC, Det Gda Scully agreed that John Gilligan had already been dealt with by the prison governor for having the mobile phone in court and had been given 60 days in the segregation unit with loss of privileges.

Mr Peart told the court that Gilligan has spent many years in prison and while in prison four members of his family have died.
    Mr Justice Paul Butler, presiding, said that the court had no experience of dealing with the offence but the Oireachtas has fixed a maximum of five years imprisonment for the charge.

He said that the court took the view that any sanction imposed must mean something to the accused to discourage others from committing the same offence and in the circumstances the court sentenced him to six months imprisonment to start from the conclusion of his current sentence

================================================

Wow - a judge actually handed out a sentance to a criminal for having a mobile phone in the jail cell - I am truly shocked.

I would expect this kind of thing in the US but here ??

Hopefully this is a sign that things are changing - justice wise ( but we all know they won't )

Other thoughts - Gilligan will be back on the street in early 2013.
    Who are his rivals, Dundon ?

I would imagine that Gilligan will no longer be the player he once was. The Dundon's wouldn't be afraid of him, they are just as mad.

Remember the Dunne's in the 1980's. THey said that the next generation would be lunatics, ie Gilligan. And people like Gilligan said the next generation would make his lot look like angels. I wonder will the media be as brave in following Gilligan around when he is released. I sincerely hope people in Ireland shun Gilligan , hopefully he will **** off out of Ireland (but no one will allow him in)

Jesus time flies, that his time in Prison is soon up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

How is he getting out in 2013 when the earliest he should be released is 2021, according to the report in the op?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

Was the sentence back dated to when he was originally detained? Maybe that would explain him getting out early?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

WTF, when was he actually convicted? shouldn't it be 22 years and 6 months from that day? (minus time spent in custody before trial)
    longshanks wrote: »
    How is he getting out in 2013 when the earliest he should be released is 2021, according to the report in the op?

Simply put in four words: The Irish "Judicial" System

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

Convicted of having a mobile phone in prison. Don't doubt for a second that the prison wardens were well aware he had a phone and had seen him use it as well.
    And they did nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Liamario wrote: »
    Convicted of having a mobile phone in prison. Don't doubt for a second that the prison wardens were well aware he had a phone and had seen him use it as well.
    And they did nothing.
    That's where he probably sourced it. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭johnners2981

http://www.rte.ie/news/2001/0315/gilligan.html

So out of a 28 year sentence he serves 11 years and gets another 6 months for being naughty.
    What is the point in these sentences when they are never carried out.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2001/0315/gilligan.html

So out of a 28 year sentence he serves 11 years and gets another 6 months for being naughty.
    What is the point in these sentences when they are never carried out.
    They are usually handed a sentense and will get anything up to 30% off if they are good. Gives them a more incentive not to act the maggot inside.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I'm deeply suspicious that when he gets out he's just going to lead the life of a guy on the straight and narrow.
    I've no doubts that he's still up to his eyeballs in illegal antics. Others are just doing his further bidding.
    The Gardi have just to piece all the connections and evidence together sufficient that it would stand up in court!

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭dartsfan

He was probably in jail for a few years prior to the trial

• Registered Users Posts: 8,513 ✭✭✭blackwhite

They are usually handed a sentense and will get anything up to 30% off if they are good. Gives them a more incentive not to act the maggot inside.

Surely it should be a case of serve the sentence in full, and have additional time added on if you don't behave.

Or would that make too much sense to be implemented here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

blackwhite wrote: »
    Surely it should be a case of serve the sentence in full, and have additional time added on if you don't behave.

Or would that make too much sense to be implemented here?
    Well, its not implemented anywhere. The point is the Gilligan has NOT been of good behaviour and so should not qualify for the 25% standard remission rate.

• Advertisement

He will be in for a big shock when he gets out and sees the state of the economy. More than likely he will end up in a single bedroom flat on the dole. What assets dose he actually own? Who would give him a job and would he be legally allowed set up his own business again? If he dose he would be watched like a hawk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

He will be in for a big shock when he gets out and sees the state of the economy. More than likely he will end up in a single bedroom flat on the dole. Who would give him a job and would he be legally allowed set up his own business again? If he dose he would be watched like a hawk.

Wouldn't think he be hanging about here at all,Sure he will head over to his pub and apartments in Spain,His pub is called the Judges chambers :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭johnners2981

But he did act the maggot by not complying with the rules, this isn't the first time either he's been caught with a mobile. In 2011 he got another 8 months.
    So with an original sentence of 28 years, cut to 20 years, multiple extra sentences for use of his mobile in his cell that got him at least an extra 14 months and he gets out in 12 years.

He must be extremely well behaved because that is way over the 30% off if they're good

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

realies wrote: »
    Wouldn't think he be hanging about here at all, Sure he will head over to his pub and apartments in Spain, His pub is called the Judges chambers :rolleyes:

Can he travel as soon as he gets out? Would he be allowed a passport so soon?
    Would he not be on 'probation' as such for a while? ...And might this restrict his travel abilities?
    Would Spain allow him to travel there now knowing his recent past and convictions?

Questions I don't know the answer to myself so would be interested to hear what the eventual outlook might be when he does get out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Biggins wrote: »
    Can he travel as soon as he gets out? Would he be allowed a passport so soon?
    Would he not be on 'probation' as such for a while? ...And might this restrict his travel abilities?
    Would Spain allow him to travel there now knowing his recent past and convictions?

Questions I don't know the answer to myself so would be interested to hear what the eventual outlook might be when he does get out!

As far as I know biggins and I am asuming that as Spain is in the EU and he has served his sentence he is free to go anywhere in Europe he likes, like larry murphy did.

realies wrote: »
    As far as I know biggins and I am asuming that as Spain is in the EU and he has served his sentence he is free to go anywhere in Europe he likes, like larry murphy did.

Depends on the terms of his realease, he may well still be subject to a period of probation.

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Depends on the terms of his realease, he may well still be subject to a period of probation.
    Murphy didn't seem to get any period of probation and was not long getting on the boat.

Murphy didn't seem to get any period of probation and was not long getting on the boat.

Not sure. As far as I know, he was subjected to police visits beforehand. The police also forwarded inofromation to their Spanish counterparts. Read in the Indo (I know, I know) that he was under police surveillance in Amswerdam too.

The option is there, though, whether it's implemented or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

The 20 year sentence was from 1996 not 2001.His original sentence was extremely harsh as well 28 years from importing hash:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

His original sentence was extremely harsh as well 28 years from importing hash:eek:

Hes wasnt caught coming through the airport with 1/8th in his bag.

Advertisement