Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Short Story Competition 8 (I Spy) - VOTE HERE!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

VERSION 2
    Yep, well done Antilles! :)

Mine was 5. I spent about 15 mins dithering as I knew the 'kids in car' was not really that original but nothing better appeared and that clock was really ticking. Thanks so much to all who provided feedback.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

VERSION 6
    EMF2010 wrote: »
    Yep, well done Antilles! :)

Mine was 5. I spent about 15 mins dithering as I knew the 'kids in car' was not really that original but nothing better appeared and that clock was really ticking. Thanks so much to all who provided feedback.

I know I said it before, but yours was my absolute favourite. It totally got to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

VERSION 4
    Thanks everyone for the votes and the feedback! :D

If anyone's interested, I spent the first ten minutes of my hour brainstorming and ended up with an A4 page filled with every "G" word I could think of. As soon as I wrote down "Google", I saw the link to "I Spy" so that's where the idea came from.

With regards the end, I know it's the weakest part - as somebody said above, I was just looking for a reasonable ending so I could start writing the thing :)

As a matter of fact I did consider "G-U-N" instead of "R-O-P-E", but I was worried that a) it would strain credibility for the character to have a gun if I hadn't already mentioned it, and b) it might imply he was going to kill the wife and his friend, rather than himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

VERSION 7
    Well done Antilles. Anybody who hasn't done it has no idea how difficult it is. Stephen Hawkings couldn't explain what happens to time during that hour.

I wrote no 1 and thanks to all who took the time to read it and make comments. It took me over 15 minutes to get started. I thought and thought about a road trip and could say I dismissed it as unoriginal but the truth is I couldn't come up with a single idea so I admire those who did get workable plots from it.
    When I finally decided on G for Gold it took me ages to get to the gold. By then I was struggling badly, only stubborness stopped me from giving up and I completely ran out of time at the end, as is fairly obvious.

It was a tough challange, especially for slow typists, but I enjoyed it. Thanks again to Pickarooney and helpers who made it possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Sorry, totally missed this!

To whoever wrote 4, I had to laugh - "Macra na Feirme Annual Convention" - the Rally? Which club are you in? :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement