Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2012 Cooking Club Week 7: Baked Nutella Cheesecake

Options
  • 16-02-2012 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭

Thought I'd put my recipe up a day early as we had none last week.

I figure we've probably all given up on New Year's resolutions to eat healthily by now, so there's no reason not to have a gooey, decadent dessert like this one ;)

Baked Nutella Cheesecake

Ingredients:
    250g ginger nut biscuts (digestives would be fine too but I think the ginger cuts through the chocolate nicely)
    75g butter, plus extra for greasing the tin
    200g nutella
    500g mascarpone
    3 eggs
    1tsp ground ginger
    2tbsp cornflour
    100g caster sugar

IMAG0206.jpg

Method:
    Grease a 9inch springform tin

Crush the ginger nut biscuits and melt the butter. Mix the two together and firmly press this mixture into the tin. Leave to chill in the fridge for 10 minutes.

IMAG0207.jpg

Pre-heat the oven to 160C and put a dish of cold water in the bottom of the oven.

Mix the mascarpone, nutella, eggs, caster sugar, cornflour and ginger. (I melted the nutella a little first by putting the jar into a bowl of hot water, makes it easier to get out of the jar and to mix).

Pour this mixture on top of the biscuit base.

IMAG0208.jpg

Pop the tin into the oven for 50 minutes. After this time, the edges will just be starting to set but the inside will still be gooey. Turn the oven off and let the cake sit in the oven with the door closed for a further hour.

Remove, cut and eat :D

IMAG0209.jpg

IMAG0211.jpg

This cake will keep in the fridge for three days (and possibly longer, but I've never had any left to test that :))

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Definitely going to give this a go, lovely looking recipe.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

just put this in the oven :)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,458 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Evil. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I'm not one for cooking 'sweet' things but will deffo be passing this recipe on to Mrs Billy. Nyom!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,224 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Nutella never sits untouched in the cupboard for too long...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

irishbird wrote: »
    just put this in the oven :)
    Well? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Well? :)
    Here it is!

DSCN0174.jpg

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i dont like baked cheese cake and hate nutella but i baked this for Des.

i have to say i was very impressed and will make this again. i think i will put in more ginger and possibly either some orange or lime essence

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭spiderjazz

After eating about 2/3rd's of the cake from the first post, I can confirm that I will be requesting it to be made again, delicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

I'm attempting to make this today.
    Have never made anything like this before so prepare for a funny pic later

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

That was very tasty.
    Will defo make it again - cheers OP
    93b07149.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

I tried this last weekend and it was quite tasty although I think I may have added a bit too much ground ginger as the taste was quite strong. It did taste a bit nicer though once that had mellowed slightly after a day in the fridge.

195763.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Would regular sugar and plain flour be ok substitutes?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

irish_goat wrote: »
    Would regular sugar and plain flour be ok substitutes?

I think the flour would be fine, apparently the cornflour is just to stop the cake 'cracking' as it bakes and there's so little in it anyway that Id risk it.

My only fear would be that the ordinary sugar could end up being a bit grainy in the mix. But I've never tried baking with it instead of caster sugar so I'm not too sure, anyone else have any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Agh this was going so well, smelt so good, the batter before tasted great. But idiot me, when the timer went off I turned the timer of but not the oven, went on my merry way for an hour to let it cool and when I got back it was obviously completely overcooked!

Will be doing it again tomorrow anyway as it was intended for a friends birthday, I'm glad I decided to do it early as I have time to redo it now!

I made a few slight adjustments I'm not a huge ginger person so for the base i used digestives and half a teaspoon of ginger and cinnamon. Then I halved the ginger in the filling, I also added a load of milk and white chocolate chips to the filling. Hopefully tomorrows attempt will be more successful!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Pigwidgeon wrote: »
    ...I'm not a huge ginger person.....
    Dunno why I thought of this... :D

300full.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Smarten

Hi

Am gonna try this cheesecake tonight. Have never made cheesecake or cooked much before.. Quick question for you? Place for 50 mins in the oven.. What temperature would you use for a fan oven?

Smarten wrote: »
    Hi

Am gonna try this cheesecake tonight. Have never made cheesecake or cooked much before.. Quick question for you? Place for 50 mins in the oven.. What temperature would you use for a fan oven?

I'd go with 150C, hope it turns out well for you!

Yep that's normal! The hour of sitting in the oven after it's been turned off will help it to firm up a bit, but it'll still be a bit soft anyway once it's done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭davetherave

Saw this thread during the week in the most thanked list from Bazmo's post and decided to give it a go yesterday.
    Ommm nommmm nnoommm.

It turns out that I can use an oven for something other than pizzas, pasta bakes and garlic bread. :o

Can't say that I can trust the weighing scales that I used though. By the time it got to 200 grams of Nutella the 400 gram jar was just about empty. :eek:

p1050378mr.jpg
    p1050376.jpg

Will definitely be making this again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Saw this thread during the week in the most thanked list from Bazmo's post and decided to give it a go yesterday.

Huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Huh?

stalker-alert.gif

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭davetherave

Haha no, on the main page if you click on the down arrow next to my threads you can view the top 50 posts that got the most thanks on the previous day. Bazmo's post of fat b@stard must have been featured in it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I think I've just decided what I'll be doing for the evening! Pics tomorrow. :)

Edit: I'm going to have to buy a tin first. >_< I'll do this over the weekend instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Made this last weekend, turned out well. First time making a baked cheesecake. Really easy to make. Thanks OP

2h2lbpu.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭sas

First post here. Tried this over the weekend because I've been lurking here for quite a while and finally decided to have a crack at something.

Anyway, fairly sure I followed the recipe exactly, it doesn't look like the other successes here though.

Tasted really good, no issue there. Wondering maybe if the oven is too hot.

I'm not much of a chef and it's a brand new oven so we're not overly familiar with it yet.

Any suggestions?

206603.JPG

sas wrote: »
    First post here. Tried this over the weekend because I've been lurking here for quite a while and finally decided to have a crack at something.

Anyway, fairly sure I followed the recipe exactly, it doesn't look like the other successes here though.

Tasted really good, no issue there. Wondering maybe if the oven is too hot.

I'm not much of a chef and it's a brand new oven so we're not overly familiar with it yet.

Any suggestions?

Did you put the dish of water in the oven with it? I think that and the cornflour are both intended to stop the cake from 'cracking' at the top. But if it still tastes good I think that's the main thing! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭sas

Did you put the dish of water in the oven with it? I think that and the cornflour are both intended to stop the cake from 'cracking' at the top. But if it still tastes good I think that's the main thing! :)

Well that's embarassing......

No, I missed that part.

Thanks, will do that next time.

SAS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

How many servings would you get from the measurements in the opening post?

• Advertisement

How many servings would you get from the measurements in the opening post?

Between 6 to 8 slices depending on how hungry everyone is :)

Advertisement