Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pro 12: Leinster V Scarlets RDS 7.35 Fri 17 Feb, TG4

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Ospreys didn't get a BP at home to Aironi. Things go from dire to decent in 30 seconds. A lot wrong with that performance though. Toner was, ironically, head and shoulders above everyone in the pack. Some alright cameos and McLaughlin worked very hard but a real lack of impact from the majority. A lot of forcing it in poor conditions. Jennings was guilty on several occasions. Looked like someone trying to catch the eye and win the jersey when he'd have been better off playing like he best does and kept it simple.

Oh, and whilst Toner was excellent, quit standing at first or second receiver every third phase. I don't care how good your hands are for a human skyscraper!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Got out of jail there, scarlets dominated us at the breakdown, some bad options taken from 9, 10 & 15.

Filthy win, we controlled most of the second half in their half. but our execution was terrible, with a number of uncharecteristic errors. You'd swear it was pouring rain the way we spilled the ball so much...

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭jimmyging

the Leinster passing was appalling high low and non existent

• Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭ongarite

Probably the worst ive seen Leinster play in quite a while.
    Horrible damp evening out there for us poor fools in the North and South stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

I'm on a shyte Internet connection.

In a word: headless.

Still, a win is a win.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 756 ✭✭✭4PP

Tox56 wrote: »
    Amazing reading Scarlet thread, saying they were robbed by Owens and he was determined to let Leinster win. Guess it depends on your viewpoint.

Are you sure that was a Scarlets thread & not an Ulster thread???:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Leinster7 wrote: »
    AND THATS WHY WE;).'RE CHAMPIONS

Technically munster are;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Haven't read the thread but from my view in the south stand Owens was unbelievably inconsistent throughout. He also missed several off the ball incidents and late tackles in the first half especially. Towards the end of the game I swear I heard Scarlets fans sing "One Nigel Owens".
    But to be fair, with the amount of territory we had in the second half that couldn't have been an excuse had we not won. Delighted with the win as it seemed like it was gonna be one of them days where nothing was gonna go right. From countless knock ons when a try seemed inevitable to the ball being blown off the tee towards the end. Never thought we'd get out of it with 4 points. Balls of steel from McFadden at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Lets be honest here-that was a really poor performance by Leinster. We won the match but that was the only positive. Makes me a bit nervous about the HC QF to be honest. There is something about welsh teams coming here at the moment..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Leinster7 wrote: »
    AND THATS WHY WE'RE CHAMPIONS

I thought Munster were reigning champions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

Leinsters backline were simply too small. In dry conditions their skill and speed can compensate but in the wet they are easily pressured.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Have to say well done to McGrath and Hagan, were excellent in the scrum, especially with Toner/McLaughlin in the Second Row, not particularly known for their scrummaging. Put a lot of pressure on the Scarlets scrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭smurphy29

Leinsters backline were simply too small. In dry conditions their skill and speed can compensate but in the wet they are easily pressured.
    Ah I'm not buying that to be honest. I think the whole country is suddenly obsessed with huge backs after the Welsh defeat. Leinster have put on plenty of good performances in the rain - think of the home win against Saracens when we scored six tries last year.

We just played a bit... crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Missed the game myself, but it never ceases to amaze me how well the Scarlets do with their forwards. Like Wales, seem to have a synergy that make them more than the sum of their parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Richardt Strauss work rate at the break down. Got the crucial turnover at the end tonight. Dom Ryan should be training with him, because if Strauss was taller, he'd be a world class 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Yet again I was impressed by Nathan White's cameo. Strauss should be starting too, he has it all. Very complete player. A big problem tonight was when we got 2 phases going forward and then went back 10 metres due to a bad pass and that killed the attack a few times. It's good to get some excitement though, just like the old days. Ferg did some things wrong tonight but I thought he was our best player. I don't see the sense in Ireland starting D'Arcy ahead of him.

So what's that? 14 wins in a row or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Leinster7

Quint2010 wrote: »
    Lets be honest here-that was a really poor performance by Leinster. We won the match but that was the only positive. Makes me a bit nervous about the HC QF to be honest. There is something about welsh teams coming here at the moment..

The difference is. When Ireland play badly, they lose to Wales, 3or4 times on the trot now I think.

Leinster play below their standard against good opposition and they WIN. This is the sign of a great team and a world-class manager.

Regarding the HC I wouldn't be too worried. The players will be well prepared by Joe for that. You have to consider the disruption with the 6N and all the changes to the recent Ireland training camp the last week, when analysing this most recent game.

Oh, and we're a far far better side than Cardiff too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Toner was great n all, but jeez, no need to carry the ball so much. It's like Paul O'Connell for Ireland, except Toner went all out. Deserved MOM though.

I would have liked to see O'Malley a bit more, but I suppose there was little he could do. Reddan for me had an iffy game, he looked a bit indecisive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Hagz wrote: »
    Toner was great n all, but jeez, no need to carry the ball so much. It's like Paul O'Connell for Ireland, except Toner went all out. Deserved MOM though.

Minus the knock ons. It was infuriating that he was there so much and he won't get away with it against other sides. It shows how much more confident he is these days though. The little spin pass over the defenders head was a nice party trick but not one I'd like to see often. Fantastic hands for a front five player. Did we use anyone else in the line out in the second half?!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

[Jackass] wrote: »
    Got out of jail there, scarlets dominated us at the breakdown, some bad options taken from 9, 10 & 15.

Filthy win, we controlled most of the second half in their half. but our execution was terrible, with a number of uncharecteristic errors. You'd swear it was pouring rain the way we spilled the ball so much...

It was, got bloody soaked in the North Stand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Hagz wrote: »

I would have liked to see O'Malley a bit more, but I suppose there was little he could do. Reddan for me had an iffy game, he looked a bit indecisive.

In fairness O'Connell is a far better carrier than Toner. I still have major doubts about Toner's scrummaging though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

matthew8 wrote: »
    In fairness O'Connell is a far better carrier than Toner.

Not a hard feat. Neither possess the ability to break the gain-line. Just a phase spender. Although Toner can come from deep at pace when he wants, which can be quite effective. Can't see the scrummaging as an issue tbh. He's played more minutes than anyone this year and our scrum is confident.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

McFadden's kicks are dog ugly. They used to say a bumble bee's flight was physically inexplicable and I'm at a similar loss to explain how these low, ungainly, wobbly things ever go over. I know they do but he doesn't inspire a lot of confidence. However, that try was a source of comfort; he seemed to have a bit of the Phil Bennett twinkle toes magic going on there in an area of the provincial and national teams where we sorely need it right now.

Leinster looked the better team all night and yet they could barely seal the deal. I thought a few drop-kicks would be tried near the end there but they weren't.

On the bright side, O'Malley tackled well enough, Toner threw some nice passes and Auva'a looked dangerous any time he got the ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Think maybe we can chalk it down to a bad day at the office, but sealed the deal when it mattered, like champions should.

The younger guys will benefit from nights like this as much as the one last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

The great myth of 2012!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

post deleted.

leinster7 debate the post, not the poster. no more ad hominem posting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Ardillaun wrote: »
    McFadden's kicks are dog ugly. They used to say a bumble bee's flight was physically inexplicable and I'm at a similar loss to explain how these low, ungainly, wobbly things ever go over. I know they do but he doesn't inspire a lot of confidence. However, that try was a source of comfort; he seemed to have a bit of the Phil Bennett twinkle toes magic going on there in an area of the provincial and national teams where we sorely need it right now.

Leinster looked the better team all night and yet they could barely seal the deal. I thought a few drop-kicks would be tried near the end there but they weren't.

On the bright side, O'Malley tackled well enough, Toner threw some nice passes and Auva'a looked dangerous any time he got the ball.
    Just read in today's Times, Joe Schmidt saying McFadden was dog tired after two heavy fitness sessions with the Ireland camp. He also said that it was hard to get the lads to click as a unit with players coming in and going out.

Not really a performance to make any judgments for the rest of the season on then.

And this tweeted by Nigel Owens: "Hope the flight home tomo is straight forward for a change. Great to meet the boys with the "This is not soccer" T-Shirts tonite."

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

rrpc wrote: »
    Ardillaun wrote: »

Just read in today's Times, Joe Schmidt saying McFadden was dog tired after two heavy fitness sessions with the Ireland camp. He also said that it was hard to get the lads to click as a unit with players coming in and going out.

Not really a performance to make any judgments for the rest of the season on then.

And this tweeted by Nigel Owens: "Hope the flight home tomo is straight forward for a change. Great to meet the boys with the "This is not soccer" T-Shirts tonite."

:D
    If its hard to get lads to click as a unit then why is he bringing so many of them into the team?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

If its hard to get lads to click as a unit then why is he bringing so many of them into the team?
    It wouldn't make any difference if he left the likes of McFadden, Reddan etc. out or brought them in, he'd still have to bring other players in to replace them. It's not as though he could do without McFadden either, seeing as he's also the leading kicker after Sexton.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

probably to get them game time as they've been mostly being training with/benching for ireland.

This to me is always the worry when he senior players come back from prolonged ireland duty...players have to get used to how their provinces play

Advertisement