Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlone ¾ Marathon, Sun 7th Oct 2012 11am

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭SnailsPace

3 stars (average)
    Still have not made my mind up, how undulating compared to DCM is this course?? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭bazman

SnailsPace wrote: »
    Still have not made my mind up, how undulating compared to DCM is this course?? Thanks.

It is an undulating course - a little more that Dublin. There is 150m climb over 20 miles - same as Dublin, but obviously over 26miles. The difficult section seems to be mile 18 where there is 100m climb over the mile when everyone is tired ...

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

4 stars (good)
    Is anyone from boards pacing this on Sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

4 stars (good)
    Looks like rain :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

4 stars (good)
    zefer wrote: »

I am pacing the slowest of the 3 pace bands. :)

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    jcsmum wrote: »
    I am pacing the slowest of the 3 pace bands. :)

That'll be the one I'm going to try keep with. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Q7

4 stars (good)
    Muppet Man wrote: »
    Looks like rain :(

Rain not now expected until Sunday evening. Looking like near perfect conditions for Sunday morning / early afternoon according to met.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 21 bpollard

bazman wrote: »
    Hi Running Fool, we're close to capacity so we will not have entries on the day.
    I will let you know if this changes

Hi Bazman,

Any final decision made on entries on day of event considering online entries now closed?

Bren

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

4 stars (good)
    That'll be the one I'm going to try keep with. :)
    Me too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

4 stars (good)
    Just finished my 11 miles, just 4 recovery miles in the morning and then Athlone.

How are people treating this one? Training run at LSR pace or racing it or some with PMP?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭blockic

4 stars (good)
    Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Just finished my 11 miles, just 4 recovery miles in the morning and then Athlone.

How are people treating this one? Training run at LSR pace or racing it or some with PMP?

Going to Stick with 3.30 pacer for first half of it anyway (about 30secs slower than PMP).

If im feeling good, I'll run the second half at PMP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

4 stars (good)

going to run 17 or 18 miles at just a little slower than PMP (+5 secs/km) and throttle back completely (cool down) for last two or three miles.

If I'm feeling super good I might not throttle back that much.

Three weeks should be plenty of recovery time for Dublin.

Muppet Man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

4 stars (good)

meself and aimmann r doin 4:00 band....

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭bazman

blockic wrote: »
    Going to Stick with 3.30 pacer for first half of it anyway (about 30secs slower than PMP).

We are really struggling to get pacers this year - our original 3:00 & 3:30 pacers have had to pull out, so currently only have 4:00 marathon pacers!!!

We're trying to get new pacers, but just to let you know there is a risk we will be short pacers ...

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭dernipper

4 stars (good)
    Worse case scenario and no pacers could u just still organise the respective groups together at start and leave us off to follow the pacing guidelines ourselves,,,should be enough experienced runners within each group to manage,,, if it proved successful you could claim 'self pacing' as an innovate training concept as part of marathon prep !

We are really struggling to get pacers this year - our original 3:00 & 3:30 pacers have had to pull out, so currently only have 4:00 marathon pacers!!!

We're trying to get new pacers, but just to let you know there is a risk we will be short pacers ...

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭vigos

If there's no pacers for the 3:00 group whats recommended, keep a constant 7:15 min/mile pace throughout or else build into it for the 1st quarter and step up the pace to 7:15 for the 3rd and 4th?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Hey I sent you a pm in relation to selling my race number. The rules on your website haven't been updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

dernipper wrote: »
    Worse case scenario and no pacers could u just still organise the respective groups together at start and leave us off to follow the pacing guidelines ourselves,,,should be enough experienced runners within each group to manage,,, if it proved successful you could claim 'self pacing' as an innovate training concept as part of marathon prep !

Really hope ye can get pacers. Main reason I signed up was to benefit from following them, I'm useless at pacing myself . Think dernipper has a very good point there that maybe it could be arranged to even sort people into pacing groups at the start?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭blockic

4 stars (good)
    dernipper wrote: »

Yep, I would be on for this. If people who have similar targets are grouped it would make things easier and as you said we'd manage ourselves...

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭SnailsPace

3 stars (average)
    Best of Luck tomorrow everyone, especially to those falling off horses today. Its going to be dry, 11c and very little wind.

Enjoy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 bpollard

Good luck to everyone tomorrow. Jealous.

Will be thinking of you all when trodding around roads of glasnevin on my own haha.

Bren

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Craptacular

3 stars (average)
    Just registered. All seems good so far except that I've been listed in the over 40s and I'm not 40 for weeks....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

4 stars (good)
    Brilliant race, can't speak highly enough about it.
    Enjoyed the run, found the 18th mile tough but I'd say most did, great test ahead of Dublin, ended up with 2:50 and change, fairly even splits except for a dodgy mile 18.
    The facilities, registration, volunteers, traffic management, everything was excellent.

We need a poll up, 5 stars across the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

4 stars (good)
    Brilliant race, can't speak highly enough about it.
    Enjoyed the run, found the 18th mile tough but I'd say most did, great test ahead of Dublin, ended up with 2:50 and change, fairly even splits except for a dodgy mile 18.
    The facilities, registration, volunteers, traffic management, everything was excellent.

We need a poll up, 5 stars across the board.

Whats your target for DCM?

Thought it was a great race too, very well organised and a great atmosphere around the place.

Did it in 2:52 myself so am looking good for sub 4 in DCM.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jester1980

Agreed, one of the best races i've taken part in. Tough enough little course. The items they had at the water stations were fantastic, water mellon, orange, jellies.

Did it in 2.46.30 so was delighted. Defo think i have a 3.45 in me for Dublin now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

4 stars (good)
    Brilliant race, fantastic organisation. Really impressed with every bit of it. Finished in 3:08. Started out with the 4hr pacers (thanks Jcsmum and Aimman), then CareerMove and myself headed off a bit ahead. The final hill nearly killed me, had to walk for a few metres but got myself together and finished. Great race, will definitely give this a go next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

4 stars (good)
    Whats your target for DCM?

Thought it was a great race too, very well organised and a great atmosphere around the place.

Did it in 2:52 myself so am looking good for sub 4 in DCM.

Not really sure on target for marathon, my best marathon to date is 4:06 so anything better than 4 is main goal, if that is in sight I'll just try to take anything I can off that then. I always fade in races to a certain degree so I'll go with 3:45 group given I've done 1:45 in half last month.

My GPS from Dub last year suggests Dub is tougher elevation wise but the last 5 miles of Dub are flat for the most part.

4 stars (good)
    Great race, super organisation, water stations and fantastic medal!. Tough race and a lot of hills!! Finished in 3 hrs but don't think I'll be able to do sub 4 marathon as I was feeling it at end.
    Started off too quickly and faded towards the end and had to walk for a little bit on the hill at the 18th mile. Big thanks for the encouragement from couple of other runners to get me going again!

4 stars (good)
    Fantastic race - definitely 5 stars from me :D Had such a good run. Finished quite strong in 3.06 :D

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    Big thanks for the encouragement from couple of other runners to get me going again!
    One dark haired, One blond with plaits ???

Advertisement