Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Competition: Variations on a theme 8 (Flashfiction)

Options
124»

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Or adjectives

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Exercises like that are interesting for yourself but I'm not sure they work for competitions? I really liked the ones with just a title or a generic opening sentence. You know something like "The calm of the summers afternoon was shattered when..." or "Bellydoney Post Office was probably the most respectable in the county, with regimented rows of information leaflets and a carefully choreographed poster board..." Leaves people off to carry it in all sorts of directions and genres and that (as a reader) is half the fun...

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭hcass

I am inclined to agree with the above. I don't really like the competitions with so many rules - it just impedes creativity. What about a really simple, traditional style short story competition? Short enough word limit though cos it can be difficult for people to read long stories past say 1000-1500 words.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭PurpleBee

I prefer restriction, in my opinion it intensifies the creative impulse.

I also think we should have a 10 minute limerick writing competition

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

PurpleBee wrote: »

Haiku-off!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭hcass

PurpleBee wrote: »
    I prefer restriction, in my opinion it intensifies the creative impulse.

I do love Limericks now that's a good un.

Seriously though - like with the flash fiction. I felt like I had an idea but because I didn't have the time to complete it I didn't bother (well I started but didn't have time to finish) so for me the time limit impeded my creativity. I mean surely it shouldn't matter how long it take someone (within reason) to write something. The finished product is what merit should be given on, not how quick they were writing it. I'm talking a day or two here now, not a week or a month or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

hcass wrote: »
    I do love Limericks now that's a good un.

Seriously though - like with the flash fiction. I felt like I had an idea but because I didn't have the time to complete it I didn't bother (well I started but didn't have time to finish) so for me the time limit impeded my creativity. I mean surely it shouldn't matter how long it take someone (within reason) to write something. The finished product is what merit should be given on, not how quick they were writing it. I'm talking a day or two here now, not a week or a month or anything.

It might be different for everyone, but I've spent hours writing stories and days writing stories. The ones that take hours are invariably the best (albeit after a little polishing).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Haiku-off!

Old school rules?

Advertisement