Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC Build

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

It's a CRC error I'm afraid. Pretty much what jay said. Download is most probably corrupt, I'm seriously hoping the DVD disc is though, its the culprit most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Thanks.
    Im just going to go ahead and install the other windows seven disc without sp1 and see how it goes.
    Fingers crossed

I remember Jay saying that his windows was super fast installing with his SSD.
    I have a feeling there is more to this problem than the dvd disc.
    I have the other disc in now and its pretty slow so far same as the other disc.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Installing won't be any faster than the read speed of the disc itself and the speed of the dvd drive. Only once its on the SSD you'll see it can be blisteringly fast.

Ok she is horsing on now.
    Its at 69%.

When I went to installing windows the second time it said system reserved parition of 100mb. I just deleted that, and then deleted the second parition until I was left with one unallocated space of 59GB like the first time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I'm gonna throw this out there as an alternative - creating a boot usb drive from an iso. the DVD/drive/something dvd-related is the problem :( I really hope it's not your internet!

1) Download the win 7 DVD iso

2) virtually mount it (with Virtual CloneDrive) -- it makes the computer think that you've a dvd drive but u don't!

3) open the win 7 dvd iso

4) have an empty usb flash drive

5) Follow this http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-install-windows-7vista-from-usb-drive-detailed-100-working-guide/

it's just another option, hopefully not necessary

The previous error could have just been a bit of dirt on the disc so. Fingers crossed for you :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Pangea wrote: »
    Ok she is horsing on now. Its at 69%. When I went to installing windows the second time it said system reserved parition of 100mb. I just deleted that, and then deleted the second parition until I was left with one unallocated space of 59GB like the first time.

Good stuff bro. I was installing windows from a USB drive (not DVD drive) to the SSD so that's why it was fast! Fingers crossed! :)

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Good stuff bro. I was installing windows from a USB drive (not DVD drive) to the SSD so that's why it was fast! Fingers crossed! :)

The previous error could have just been a bit of dirt on the disc so. Fingers crossed for you :)

Thanks. The finger crossing worked!
    This time I was using a different disc. The normal windows seven one (without SP1)
    It is just completed installation! 100% Phew!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

When I went to installing windows the second time it said system reserved parition of 100mb. I just deleted that, and then deleted the second parition until I was left with one unallocated space of 59GB like the first time.

That's just a partition boot information. Windows will make those again anyway.

If you want to make sure that you have a complete image, you should do a hash check (see in the guide). If the numbers match up with Microsoft's official ones, you know that you've got the correct image. It's too late to check if it's burned to disc though.

• Advertisement

Back to some minor problems now.

Trying to get the internet going on it.
    It says Windows did not detect a properly installed network adapter.

Any ideas on what driver to download for this build?

jaykhunter wrote: »

There's no need to go to that kind of work. There's programs that do it for you.
    http://emea.microsoftstore.com/UK/en-GB/Service-Centre/Windows-7-USB-DVD-Download-Tool
    http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/
    Back to some minor problems now.

Trying to get the internet going on it.
    It says Windows did not detect a properly installed network adapter.

Any ideas on what driver to download for this build?

For the moment, you can grab the ones on the motherboard disc. You can find more up to date ones on the website... let's see...
    http://www.asrock.com/mb/download.asp?Model=Z68%20Pro3%20Gen3&o=Win764

Realtek LAN driver. You might as well get the rest too.

Got the internet going nice one.
    Sound and other drivers seem to be installed already now.
    Got the Intel graphics working too.
    I notice on the Local Disk
    There are two Program File Folders
    One says (x86) beside one of them though in Brackets.
    Why is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

I notice on the Local Disk
    There are two Program File Folders
    One says (x86) beside one of them though in Brackets.
    Why is that?
    That's a feature of 64bit Win7.
    I assumed if you install 32bit programs they go (or should go) into the (x86) Program Files directory while the 64bit programs go into the other Program Files directory.

Connected the other two hard drives now.

They are not showing up under My Computer though.
    It did say the new Samsung F3 installed correctly but its only showing up under device manager.

For your new F3 to show up:
    • Right-click on Computer*
    • Manage
    • Disk Management (on the left hand side)

You should see you new drive there. Right-click on it to format it and give it a letter.
    Don't format your old one as that will wipe it, but you might need to assign it a letter. If it doesn't show up in the device manager, it might be broken though.

*Computer is in the start menu. To get it on your desktop, right-click on desktop -> Personalise -> Change desktop icons (upper left corner).

Monotype wrote: »
    For your new F3 to show up:
    • Right-click on Computer*
    • Manage
    • Disk Management (on the left hand side)

You should see you new drive there. Right-click on it to format it and give it a letter.
    Don't format your old one as that will wipe it, but you might need to assign it a letter. If it doesn't show up in the device manager, it might be broken though.

*Computer is in the start menu. To get it on your desktop, right-click on desktop -> Personalise -> Change desktop icons (upper left corner).

Thanks.
    The F3 is showing up on the lower part of that screen under Disk 1 as 465 GB unallocated but isn't showing up under volumes, so there is no option to format it or anything.

Actually something popped up about intializing the disk.
    So that will probably work.
    Have to select a partition style.
    MBR OR GPT.

Edit: Got it working now.
    Thanks.
    The other Hardrive must be dead when its not showing up.
    Il have another look inside tomorrow to make sure its connected up ok.

PC looking great.
    Really impressed with the case. Looks stylish and worth the money.
    SSD boots the PC up very fast. Its great. :)
    The 23" screen is hard to get used to but im sure it will take a few days to get used to it.

SP1 hasnt shown up as an option yet on windows update. I suspect it will sometime.

All the programs I am installing seem to go to the Program Files x86 folder by default.
    Is that ok?

Looking forward to doing some encoding and that to see how fast this PC really is. :)

SP1 hasnt shown up as an option yet on windows update. I suspect it will sometime.

Updates usually take a while. Alternatively, you can download SP1 by itself.

https://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=5842
    windows6.1-KB976932-X64

Keep in mind that it does take a while to install from start to finish.
    All the programs I am installing seem to go to the Program Files x86 folder by default.
    Is that ok?

It doesn't matter where they're going. Most of the programs around are still 32-bit so they'll go into the x86 folder. It's just how they are organised but doesn't really make any difference at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

I know I'm a bit late with this, but maybe it's worth adding to the guide if your still able Mono.

When downloading large files, like the Windows 7 .iso file you should use a download manager to make life simpler. As Mono suggested you could use the built-in one on Opera or another separate option and one I use is jDownloader.
    When your downloading huge files that will take a few hours your bound to get a dropped connection somewhere in the middle so being able to continue the download is very important with such large files.

I haven't got the power to edit it, but it's a good idea. I'll post it on the thread and when the guides are finalised, they can be fixed up unless a mod feels like doing it on the way.

I nudged the connectors in a bit further into the old hardrive and it is showing up now so happy days. Musnt of had it in properly.

One of the front usb 2.0 connectors isn't working though.
    There is a sharp hook like metal coming out of the top side and the part that is meant to be under is pushed down which means its covering where the usb should be entering.
    Heres a pic.
    Its the middle usb I am talking about.

What would be the best way of fixing that? Not too sure how to access that part from the inside.
    http://i.imgur.com/ryXD0.jpg

I wouldn't be gone in the anti glare coat that Dell have on the U2312HM monitor.
    Contemplating returning it actually as Komplett have 14 change of mind service.
    Might just stick with my old monitor!

Not too sure about the usb port. Can you bash it in with a screwdriver?

Some people tend not to be fond of the anti-glare alright. I would like if it was a little less obvious but it's nowhere near as bad as a glossy screen.

Monotype wrote: »
    Not too sure about the usb port. Can you bash it in with a screwdriver?

Some people tend not to be fond of the anti-glare alright. I would like if it was a little less obvious but it's nowhere near as bad as a glossy screen.

Well its kinda awkward.
    The extra steel bit is coming up like a claw so by banging it just goes bent, if i got that claw bit to go back down under or where ever it came from I might be able to get the the normal steel edge of the usb pushed away towards the top and allow the usb to insert.
    Upon opening the case that area of the PC seems to be a no go area. Think Id rather do without a usb than go opening up that side of the PC!

Yeah not too sure about the monitor.
    I hooked up my old one for the fun of it.
    I noticed anti glare coating on that too now actually but its not as strong as the dell coating. Initial impressions upon going back to standard monitor is that widescreen is much better.

Computer going great otherwise. Did some encoding today and it was super fast. Really happy with the build so thanks for all your help.

Did anyone here ever get the U2412M? looks nice and has a good bit more height than the 23"
    I understand it has a aspect ratio of 16:10 compared to the 23" 16:9.

I dont mind the coating as much now , but the 24" is only 50 euro dearer and has a less rectangular look to it.

23"
    6sBzK.jpg

24"
    qcgYf.jpg

Serephucus just got one last week or something.
    It has 1920x1200 resolution so it is less rectangley.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Yup, I got one. I'm using it right now. While it is a step back from the 2410 I had before in terms of colour reproduction, etc., it's a lot cheaper, and it actually has a slightly higher contrast ratio because of the LED backlight. The U2410 is an absolutely amazing monitor, so the 2412 is still head and shoulders above any TN I've ever used.

As far as the coating, it looks perfect from what I can see. I do know what you mean though. My girlfriend recently got an XPS 17, and the matte coating on that is so abysmal I'm having Dell replace the panel, but as I say the 2412's coating seems perfectly acceptable to me.

• Advertisement

Serephucus wrote: »
    Yup, I got one. I'm using it right now. While it is a step back from the 2410 I had before in terms of colour reproduction, etc., it's a lot cheaper, and it actually has a slightly higher contrast ratio because of the LED backlight. The U2410 is an absolutely amazing monitor, so the 2412 is still head and shoulders above any TN I've ever used.

As far as the coating, it looks perfect from what I can see. I do know what you mean though. My girlfriend recently got an XPS 17, and the matte coating on that is so abysmal I'm having Dell replace the panel, but as I say the 2412's coating seems perfectly acceptable to me.

Thanks Serephucus. Glad to hear that.
    Would you prefer 16:10 ratio over a 16:9 screen?

Advertisement