Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CI and IVCA

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭morana

ragazzo wrote: »
    You are correct in your first paragraph morana. The post was merely explaining some background to the situation. I am not sure what the 'we are better than you' comment is about. You are under no obligation to respond to my post. I do not represent the IVCA. I am just someone who loves cycling and cannot see the point of CI's actions in this case.

When I speak about CI, I am referring to the Board and not the clubs who put in the hard work. We are all aware of the excellent work that unpaid volunteers/club members put in every weekend.
    Without their hours of sacrifice and their trojan efforts there would be no youth or junior racing in this country. Indeed, there would be no CI.

I hope that this work continues and that we witness some growth in racing numbers (youth/junior) over the coming years.
    That is the future and maybe CI should spend more time supporting an excellent network of clubs rather than depriving a few vets of an odd open race.

No need to respond to this post morana, I am not trying to antagonise you. It's just my point of view.

Please explain how me as a board member of CI, an unpaid volunteer who works approx 10+ hours a week on board matters, is not supporting clubs?

You probably think I dont mean those pieces you bolded?

You couldnt antagonise me today.. its St Valentines day!!!

@WPD I have checked and I think what went out was the proposal from us to the IVCA which was to reinstate the agreement. It made reference to the exclusion of National Championships for IVCA licence holders.

I will raise this with the our board in the hope that they will agree that we can allow IVCA members do our races, sportifs, mtb stuff, track, TT leagues, club leagues except for Regional and National Championships.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,381 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

morana wrote: »
    @WPD I have checked and I think what went out was the proposal from us to the IVCA which was to reinstate the agreement. It made reference to the exclusion of National Championships for IVCA licence holders.
    That's what I had seen, and until yesterday had understood to be the position

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭Kebel

@morana (and indeed others) I haven’t been online for c.24 hrs so hadn’t seen the previous posts, hence I didn’t comment further before now.

Like WPD, while I referenced an e-mail, I was in no way trying to stir things up. I am merely somewhat confused, if frustrated, as to what in my opinion should not be an issue. As I see it, if a rider is appropriately insured etc etc than surely it should be possible to accommodate each others members for the mutual benefit of all concerned.

I did not intend to get any one in CI offices in trouble, and if the referenced e-mail was sent in error and needs to be retracted well so be it. My main point is as previously made, money is tight, in light of which I was looking for a way to avoid the cost of two licenses, if possible.

Incidentally I took out my first full / open license in 1984 as a "schoolboy", and most recently in 2011 (albeit with a gap in the middle when I was off doing other stuff). For the last few years I have had dual licenses and in the last couple of years for no particular reason other than the fact that I can get back home relatively early, I have found myself doing more IVCA events than CI open races - for this reason alone it would make sense for me if I can race an occasional CI event on an IVCA license - I have no issue with either organisation and regardless of what the final outcome is, I intend to continue supporting both organistions both as a competitor and as an official / marshal / team manager at certain time / events, where I am particpating in a sport I love, and with the many great friend I have made over the years. If I want to become involved in politics. I will join a political party - I just want to ride / race my bike !!!

@Kebel. Its fine you didnt get anybody in trouble.

The email was the proposal to the IVCA from CI which was circulated to all IVCA members

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭wpd

Hearing on the grape vine that Cycling Ireland have decided to accept IVCA licences for open races

Fair play to all involved for making the right moves:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭C3PO

wpd wrote: »
    Hearing on the grape vine that Cycling Ireland have decided to accept IVCA licences for open races

Fair play to all involved for making the right moves:)

But IVCA will still not accept CI licences for their races? (That's a question!)

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭wpd

not hearing of any change by IVCA

Ah the Irish Cycling Grapevine!!!!

Somebody once said to me "Sure there are no secrets in Irish cycling!"
    how true that is.

Its not official so I would wait until I seen something in writing

Its also important for people to realise that as there is no agreement (at the moment!!) between the 2 organisations you must ensure that if you are accepting IVCA licences in any of your events (club lge, sportifs,etc) that you are covered insurance wise. If you are unsure then I would contact the office.

I am extremely hopeful that a press release will issue today on this.

:D

• Advertisement

I am extremely hopeful that a press release will issue today on this.

:D

Now you're teasing us!

RPL1 wrote: »
    Now you're teasing us!

Cycling Ireland will accept IVCA licences in our events. I expect a full PR in the near future.

This was on foot of us receiving an agreement from the IVCA of mutual recognition of licences.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,381 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Cycling Ireland will accept IVCA licences in our events. I expect a full PR in the near future.

This was on foot of us receiving an agreement from the IVCA of mutual recognition of licences.
    Does the "Nationals" exclusion still apply? (not that it matters to me, but it may to some)

Beasty wrote: »
    Does the "Nationals" exclusion still apply? (not that it matters to me, but it may to some)

Yes it does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭High Nellie

Yes it does.

Are there exclusions on the IVCA side?
    Why dont you just release the deal rather than feeding us titbits at a time?

Are there exclusions on the IVCA side?
    Why dont you just release the deal rather than feeding us titbits at a time?

I am sorry I cant speak for the IVCA. You have to sign up with them to do their races before the 1st March go to ivca.info for info ;)

I didnt mean to feed titbits but there are so many things going on in the office today I couldnt get a hold of anybody to put something together.

I am sorry I cant speak for the IVCA. You have to sign up with them to do their races before the 1st March go to ivca.info for info ;)

I didnt mean to feed titbits but there are so many things going on in the office today I couldnt get a hold of anybody to put something together.

Ya, thanks - I can appreciate that u are busy. But I'd like to see the deal - if it's reciprocal then I would accept that they would accept CI members equally. If not, I think CI has left us down. After all, CI is the official national federation.

Ya, thanks - I can appreciate that u are busy. But I'd like to see the deal - if it's reciprocal then I would accept that they would accept CI members equally. If not, I think CI has left us down. After all, CI is the official national federation.

CI is my second fulltime job! I dont work in the office I am a full time employee of the Dept of Ag. The people in the office do the PR's but as I say they are overworked at this time.

IVCA will accept our licences in their races as was the case before. We will accept their licences in our races.

Our aim is to never let you down!

Good to see peace returning between the two organisations but I'm guessing that I still can't arrive at "sign on" for an IVCA race, pay my entry fee, show my CI licence and then race?

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭Kebel

@ morana

Well done to you and everyone at CI & IVCA for making this happen. For me and others it gives us more choice and that can never be a bad thing.

The good work in KR House both by the paid and volunteer staff in recent weeks partuclarly re licences etc is recognised and appreciated. In fairness without the unpaid volunteer workers in both CI & IVCA my world at least would be a poorer place.

Thank you all

• Advertisement

RPL1 wrote: »
    Good to see peace returning between the two organisations but I'm guessing that I still can't arrive at "sign on" for an IVCA race, pay my entry fee, show my CI licence and then race?

you can do all of that bar pay your fee as you have to register in advance to do the races...

pre-entry its coming to a ci race near you ...soon

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Pablo Rubio

Hearing over the Grapevine that IVCA members entering CI races can't wear their Club Kits.........Can someone please verify this?

Thanks in Advance,
    P.

Kinda right :)

If you dont hold any CI membership club comp, leisure etc. then the comm could ask you to wear clothing as an unattached. If you hold a ci licence then you can wear the club colours.

Can it be worn if you sign on , on an A3 one day licence?

Can it be worn if you sign on , on an A3 one day licence?
    Presumably yes, as you are signing on as an "ordinary" CI member (for the day) rather than under the special arrangements with the IVCA.

Just to satisfy my own curiosity morana, could IVCA members wear the new "official" IVCA kit - it's not got any (non IVCA) advertising , but is far from plain!

Beasty wrote: »
    Presumably yes, as you are signing on as an "ordinary" CI member (for the day) rather than under the special arrangements with the IVCA.

Just to satisfy my own curiosity morana, could IVCA members wear the new "official" IVCA kit - it's not got any (non IVCA) advertising , but is far from plain!

I hope they could wear the IVCA gear. It will come up tonight and I shall be proposing we accept it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

I heard a story about an comm who made a cyclist turn a skinsuit inside out in the FIC/NICF days to hide the club logos.
    Poor lad had to ride the TT skid marks on show to the world......

RobFowl wrote: »
    I heard a story about an comm who made a cyclist turn a skinsuit inside out in the FIC/NICF days to hide the club logos.
    Poor lad had to ride the TT skid marks on show to the world......

I remember several incidents like that back in the FIC days, including one with a yellow jersey wearer on the Gorey 3 day ,due to a very wet weekend of racing .My new club gear has black chamois' in the shorts so the skidmarks won't be as visible if it comes to that!! :D

I can't help grumping about this deal again. Can someone tell me why it's fair that IVCA members can turn up and sign on at CI events but not the other way around?:(

• Advertisement

I'm not quite sure but I have to say that I think C.I. are being the bigger people by being more accomodating at the moment. I think its something to do with IVCA members pre-subscribing for the year of racing up front and marshall rostering. I would like to see some sort of guest arrangement myself were you can nominate 3 races and 1 marshalling duty , I think Swords CC do this in their Club League( just a suggestion on my part). Hopefully something can be sorted in the near future ......I really just want to ride my bike and avoid the politics and I'm sure that most other Vets feel the same.

Advertisement