Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long 'till we say "Guck Foogle" !?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Interesting side article about Target and their data mining.....

How Target Figured Out A Teen Girl Was Pregnant Before Her Father Did.

Interesting reading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Those who think, fully automated dairy farms are the pinnacle of machines controlling life forms may want to think again. It won't stop there, you know... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

Khannie wrote:
    Interesting side article about Target and their data mining.....

Interesting reading.
    Yes it is bud which is why I ONLY USE CASH!! (I value my privacy)

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭geordief

what would be a good alternative to Google?

I don't think search results are based on a correct relevance now.

Could search rankings be arrived at by some sort of a consensus between the users (a la Wikipedia?)-and how could abuse of search ranking be combatted and the whole thing financed (by the UN?) ?

As I recall (and which turned me to Google at the outset )its simplicity of searching was its main advantage -then.

PS should this be a sticky?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I've tried a few other search engines and none are as good as Google unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Interesting article http://battellemedia.com/archives/2012/03/why-hath-google-forsaken-us-a-meditation.php on the relationship between Google and users with comparison to the more ominous methods of Apple and FaceBook.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭dmw07

ScumLord wrote: »
    When I signed up for my loyalty card thingie they took my name, address and telephone number, I don't see how they couldn't link your purchases to you and then use that information to send you coupons.

Not legally they can't. Not unless you signed a wavier which you more than likely did when "signing" up to be a member.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭dmw07

geordief wrote: »

I don't think search results are based on a correct relevance now.

Could search rankings be arrived at by some sort of a consensus between the users (a la Wikipedia?)-and how could abuse of search ranking be combatted and the whole thing financed (by the UN?) ?

As I recall (and which turned me to Google at the outset )its simplicity of searching was its main advantage -then.

PS should this be a sticky?

Which products are you speaking about? google+, docs, gmail, search engine?

I don't use g+ or facebook. I figured out bebo and opted out of the social experience.

Google docs i use on occasion but tend to use openoffice more.

Gmail i use, also hotmail, my uni account, and a few other accounts which i tested and never use. BUt here is a decent link to give you an option of what is out there; http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-email-client.htm

As for a search engine, i love google i have to say. That Irish one Cuil was great, just never got off the ground. Opera i find decent also.

I use Chrome or Firefox with extensions/Addons such at Adblock, NoScript and Ghostery. It negates a lot of information being read by google analytic's etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

dmw07 wrote: »

As for a search engine, i love google i have to say. That Irish one Cuil was great, just never got off the ground. Opera i find decent also.
    I was trying to think of their name the other night for aggggges!

http://techcrunch.com/2010/09/19/cuils-fails-acquired/

http://www.engadget.com/2012/02/21/google-buys-cuils-search-related-patent-applications/

The google killer got owned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

geordief wrote: »

Ixquick for me.

Or Startpage (pretty much the same as Ixquick, but limited to results from G00gle websearch only).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

I wonder if this engine is good.....

www.5earch.com

Advertisement