Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for advice on which bike to buy for ~€1300

Options
  • 13-02-2012 3:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭

Ok, I have about €1300 give or take a few euro to play with and I'm looking for some advice as to which road bike to go for.

I have a shortlist of a few bikes that have caught my attention so far, and I would be very grateful if anyone that can offer their thoughts and opinions on each, and maybe recommend any others I may have missed out on that might be a better bet than what I have selected.

1. Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0

2. Planet X SL Pro Carbon

3. Cube Agree GTC Compact

There is a fourth, the Corratec Forcia Ultegra, that I have a quote of €1599 for, from eurocycles. It was on sale at this price, which ended yesterday, but the sales assistant done me up a quote that lasts for ~2 months. It is a little more than I would like to pay, but if it was truly worth it over any of the above I would consider upping the budget slightly.

I would also consider a used bike in this range if there was one that anyone knows of that isn't advertised on here.

All advice/recommendations/help would be greatly appreciated.

Colm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,885 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

colm_gti wrote: »
    Ok, I have about €1300 give or take a few euro to play with and I'm looking for some advice as to which road bike to go for.

I have a shortlist of a few bikes that have caught my attention so far, and I would be very grateful if anyone that can offer their thoughts and opinions on each, and maybe recommend any others I may have missed out on that might be a better bet than what I have selected.

1. Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0

2. Planet X SL Pro Carbon

3. Cube Agree GTC Compact

There is a fourth, the Corratec Forcia Ultegra, that I have a quote of €1599 for, from eurocycles. It was on sale at this price, which ended yesterday, but the sales assistant done me up a quote that lasts for ~2 months. It is a little more than I would like to pay, but if it was truly worth it over any of the above I would consider upping the budget slightly.

I would also consider a used bike in this range if there was one that anyone knows of that isn't advertised on here.

All advice/recommendations/help would be greatly appreciated.

Colm

I bought a Felt z6 last year. List price was €1500 but I got 10% off straight away. It is a fantastic machine and for the money was the best option for a Carbon frame I could find.

the only dislike i had was that while it is Shimano 105, it is not the full set, no shifters, crank or brakes. That said, the ones that are there are fantastic, but I will upgrade them sometime when I use the bike enough to justify it!

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

The Canyon Roadlite has the best equipment spec on the list, but it's a more upright / relaxed geometry so more comfortable for long spins or commuting, but probably not best suited to racing if that's what you had in mind.

I think the Cube is hard to beat at that price, nice frame and good spec throughout and you can get fitted / setup in a local bike shop.

The Planet X gets great reviews on here and elsewhere, and you can visit in athlone but I dont think the equipment spec is quite as good as the cube.

Dont know anything about the Corratec, but thats an unusual chainstay design. Seems like a huge discount to the 2012 model (@ €2520) but that still doesn't make it a good buy.

Ribble have some nice bikes in your price range, but online only.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

coastwatch wrote: »
    The Canyon Roadlite, but it's a more upright / relaxed geometry so more comfortable for long spins or commuting, but probably not best suited to racing if that's what you had in mind.

Would have to disagree with that, if anything its the racier bike of the three listed. As stiff or stiffer than the other two - its big brother the Ultimate AL is anyway. You can get a longer stem if need be for a longer length to the bars.:)

If it were me, I'd go for the Roadlite 6 for e999 and save yourself e200-300 for some nice gear or beer!. Only 200grms heavier and still as light as the other two carbon bikes. Shame you were not around back in Sept/Oct when Canyon had their sale on - you would have got an Ultimate AL 9 for e1399.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,831 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Hey Colm.
    Was only in Wheelworx yesterday and was admiring a cube, carbon frame and ultegra groupset, nice wheels too and i couldnt believe it was priced at 1400 euro. Looked at the sticker and it was second hand, but I honestly couldn't see any sign that it had been used. It looked brand new to me. Only thing I couldn't figure was the exact size. My guess would be 54 or 56 but definitely worth an enquiry if you thought it might suit. Nice looking bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

fat bloke wrote: »
    Hey Colm.
    Was only in Wheelworx yesterday and was admiring a cube, carbon frame and ultegra groupset, nice wheels too and i couldnt believe it was priced at 1400 euro. Looked at the sticker and it was second hand, but I honestly couldn't see any sign that it had been used. It looked brand new to me. Only thing I couldn't figure was the exact size. My guess would be 54 or 56 but definitely worth an enquiry if you thought it might suit. Nice looking bike.

Sounds good! I might give them a call in the morning, going to make my way into the city centre in the morning and see if there is anything in any of the shops that takes my fancy :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭vertigo1976

Having just finished a build and watching the ones on this forum, there seems to be good value and good fun going that route.

How about something like a PX nanolight frame and forks for c.550, ultegra group for 600 (bike 24), wheels for 180 (fulcrum 5 maybe?), PX bars, stem saddle and seat post for 75, bar tape, tyres and cables for 100 and you could have it together for about 1500.

I know it's a little over budget, but would be a lovely carbon machine with a full ultegra group and reasonably good wheels.

Dolan have good value too around that price with plenty of room for customising.

Having seen the Planet X RT 57 in the flesh last weekend, the offer at the moment with Sram force for 1650 looks very good but again, it may be stretching the budget.

Having said all that, I've a Planet X SL pro and am very happy with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭mp31

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭SWL

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Would have to disagree with that, if anything its the racier bike of the three listed. As stiff or stiffer than the other two - its big brother the Ultimate AL is anyway. You can get a longer stem if need be for a longer length to the bars.:)

If it were me, I'd go for the Roadlite 6 for e999 and save yourself e200-300 for some nice gear or beer!. Only 200grms heavier and still as light as the other two carbon bikes. Shame you were not around back in Sept/Oct when Canyon had their sale on - you would have got an Ultimate AL 9 for e1399.;)

I agree go for the roadlite 6.0, as good a bike as the roadlite 7.0 and you save 300 quid

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

mp31 wrote: »
    I was going to suggest the same ;).
    The components on the base model may not be as attractive, but there is also Ultegra model available (as well as higher spec ones).
    With CAAD you get superior frameset, which is what makes a good bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

Seweryn wrote: »
    I was going to suggest the same ;).
    The components on the base model may not be as attractive, but there is also Ultegra model available (as well as higher spec ones).
    With CAAD you get superior frameset, which is what makes a good bike.

Superior how?

Their marketing hype is rubbish imo, what elite carbon frame weighs 1150 +grams, also isn't carbon fiber known to have a smother ride than aluminium?

- "The new CAAD10 is the world’s most advanced aluminum road frame. At just 1150 grams for a 56 cm frame, the CAAD10 is lighter, stiffer and smoother than most competitors elite carbon frames"

• Advertisement

Another option for you colm_gti

Ribble Stealth Sram Force full groupo for €1650
    FrameWeight: 0.980Kg

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/specialedition.asp?action=GenerateConstructor&part=SE12RIBSTEALTHSRAM&sub=conf_SERC

Dubba wrote: »
    Superior how?

Their marketing hype is rubbish imo, what elite carbon frame weighs 1150 +grams, also isn't carbon fiber known to have a smother ride than aluminium?
    Do you ride one or just speculating ;) ?
    isn't carbon fiber known to have a smother ride than aluminium?
    Which carbon fibre frame you are comparing with it? There are smoother and harsher carbon fibre frames than CAAD10. All depends on particular design.

Haven't ridden one, heard nothing but good things about them but just wondering why it gets the tag of being a better frameset than an entry level carbon one.

I have a PX Pro Carbon and a Giant Defy 4 (aluminum) myself and do notice that the carbon is smoother but its not really fair to compare them as the PX cost about twice as much.

Haven't ridden one, heard nothing but good things about them but just wondering why it gets the tag of being a better frameset than an entry level carbon one.
    I would say it is all about design and engineering. CAAD frames went through decades of evolution in hands of good team of engineers.
    I have a PX Pro Carbon and a Giant Defy 4 (aluminum) myself and do notice that the carbon is smoother but its not really fair to compare them as the PX cost about twice as much.
    That's the thing - you can't say that all aluminium frames are harsh to ride, because your Giant is like that. I also have a very good carbon frame bike and for me the difference is quite small and definitely not worth paying the extra money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

THe Roadlite isn't Canyon's top Alu frame. It makes no sense to me paying €1,300 (the bones of what it will cost after shipping) on an Alu bike irrespective of the components unless it is top of the line. For cheaper you will get the CAAD10 with 105(already suggested above) which is Cannondale's top Alu frame. If you do get proper use out of the bike then components will need to be changed. Because of this I'd think it wiser to go for the best frameset.

I have a CAAD9 and I used to have a fairly entry level carbon BH. In my opinion, the BH was a better bike. I'd suggest that you go for the Planet X with Rival.

I took the day off yesterday to go to all the bike shops in the city centre, went to cyclebike, cycleways, mcdonald's, penny farthing and euro cycles, and am still none the wiser X[

I took a cube gtc and a cube crossrace pro for a spin at cyclebike, and they were both quite nice, the carbon bike being a little comfier to ride around the city.

I looked at a specialized allez comp and a cannondale CAAD10 in cycleways, although I didn't take either out for a spin.

Dad brought me to humphries in finglas following recommendations from people he works with and my mothers friends husband, who competes in triathlons, but I wasn't overly impressed with the only paganini frame he could offer to suit my budget, it looked very plain and quite poorly welded. He also didn't have any test bikes put together for me to take for a spin, which also put me off, as I wouldn't order a bike to be built having never tested the frame?

I also looked at a felt f75 and a corratec dolomiti ultegra in eurocycles, neither of which I took out for a spin.

I do keep thinking about the canyon roadlite, but I would like to have a good look at one in person, and maybe take one for a short spin before I really consider ordering one. And I think I'd nearly prefer the roadlite al 6.0 for €999 and spend the rest of my budget on maybe a carbon seat post etc etc

I've been thinking a lot about it, and having taken a few bikes for a spin, as comfortable as carbon is, I think I'd feel much safer with a good alu bike. I've had a few spills since I got the clipless pedals, and I would be very worried having a fall and damaging a carbon frame. The alu ones I rode also felt a lot stiffer on the one or two short sprints I done, although I'd imagine I'd need to take them for longer spins to really get a feel for them. Also, I found I didn't notice a huge difference between shimano 105 and ultegra, apart from the weight it added to the bikes, which was marginal, and from what I can see 105 parts are far far cheaper to replace should anything go badly wrong.

So now I'm at the stage where I would prefer a really good alu bike over a carbon bike, and would be happy with 105 over ultegra, although I wouldn't be opposed to ultegra...

Any thoughts and opinions on the above bikes from you guys? I know obviously I'd need to take them for a ride before I can make my decision, but would like to scratch one or two off the list for quality reasons before I go test driving, if at all possible...

Also, I've kinda scratched the Planet X bike off my list, as I'm not a huge fan of the SRAM groupset :o

The CAAD10 with 105 would get my vote then. 2011 for £899 if you're a shorty.

Lemag wrote: »
    The CAAD10 with 105 would get my vote then. 2011 for £899 if you're a shorty.

Unfortunately I'm not, I'm 6'2" :(

Also, forgot to say, I can get a boardman team carbon for €1300, although I haven't had the chance to go look at one yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Joff

fat bloke wrote: »
    Hey Colm.

Did you contact Wheelworx, this sounded worth looking at?

• Advertisement

£999 + £20 for shipping within the UK for a 56 which may be suitable for you. From my experience my CAAD9 feels quite large compared to my other roadbike which has a similar sized seattube. If you ring them they may quote you for shipping to the ROI. If not or if it is prohibitively expensive you could use DeliverMe.ie who provide a freight forwarding service. I've used them before for a 42" tv and had no problems. They would currently charge you €22.

Joff wrote: »
    Did you contact Wheelworx, this sounded worth looking at?

Yeah it's a cube agree GTC, the same one I test drove yesterday at cyclebike, and they offered me said bike, in my size, with fitting for €1500. They don't have full ultegra, only shifters and derailleurs, the chainset and cassette and brakes are all tiagra I think. They have mavic aksium wheels.

Lemag wrote: »
    £999 + £20 for shipping within the UK for a 56 which may be suitable for you. From my experience my CAAD9 feels quite large compared to my other roadbike which has a similar sized seattube. If you ring them they may quote you for shipping to the ROI. If not or if it is prohibitively expensive you could use DeliverMe.ie who provide a freight forwarding service. I've used them before for a 42" tv and had no problems. They would currently charge you €22.

I might try popping them an email in that case, but what happens if 56cm is too small for me? My Giant OCR2 was a large and it felt pretty much perfect..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭Plastik

Look up the geo online and compare it to the Giant you had ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Inventor

I.

I do keep thinking about the canyon roadlite, but I would like to have a good look at one in person, and maybe take one for a short spin before I really consider ordering one. And I think I'd nearly prefer the roadlite al 6.0 for €999 and spend the rest of my budget on maybe a carbon seat post etc etc

Colm, you are quite welcome to have a look at my roadlite 6.0 which arrived two weeks ago. Its size XL and I am 6ft 2 and a bit. I am in wexford which is a bit of spin for you but pm me if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,049 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The Canyon has better equipment than the Cannondale, but either would do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Bigus

Take a trip to athlone before you finalise your decision.

I bought a planet X RT 57 , I'm very happy with it but its 1650 ,

However I really didn't want to go with Alu because i knew i'd always hanker to upgrade to carbon no matter what , so job done and very happy,

These bikes are genuinely reduced in price because of an offer that was going on in the uk and the Irish lads had to match it.

Plastik wrote: »
    Look up the geo online and compare it to the Giant you had ;)

Apparently my giant had a 55.5cm top tube...so the 56cm cannondale should be perfect...

I've also just been in touch with a mate in a bike shop and they have an unused 2010 Bianchi Mono-Q 105 I could have for €1300...any views on these bikes?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 digazz

Bigus wrote: »
    Take a trip to athlone before you finalise your decision.

I bought a planet X RT 57 , I'm very happy with it but its 1650 ,

However I really didn't want to go with Alu because i knew i'd always hanker to upgrade to carbon no matter what , so job done and very happy,

These bikes are genuinely reduced in price because of an offer that was going on in the uk and the Irish lads had to match it.

I've bought a Planet X RT 57 this week, SRAM Force build for €1650. Have to wait till Friday to pick it up though, but their offer's end this week. Very helpful up there in Planet X. Worth a visit. From what i hear, SRAM is up there with Shimano..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭SWL

Apparently my giant had a 55.5cm top tube...so the 56cm cannondale should be perfect...

I've also just been in touch with a mate in a bike shop and they have an unused 2010 Bianchi Mono-Q 105 I could have for €1300...any views on these bikes?

Its all down to preference, but 55.5cm top tube seems short to me for someone of your height.

Check www.competitivecyclist.com they have a step by step calculator to find the correct size, it will give you three different setups. I am 6'4" and it recommended a top tube of 58 plus.

Advertisement