Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michael D Higgins

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭BackScrub

Einhard wrote: »
    I would have thought it was the perfect audience for the message contained in the speech........

Those venues have pretty exclusive audiences. Hardly a presidency of the people now is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Beware, let yet another thread be hijacked by The Keith Show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

BackScrub wrote: »
    Those venues have pretty exclusive audiences. Hardly a presidency of the people now is it?

Last week he did:
    • the IFTAs
    • the Irish Pen Awards for Literature
    • the European Year for Active Ageing and Solidarity between Generations
    • the Ballyfermot Traveller Action Project Development Education Group
    • the Moate Business College
    • received a student group from UCD
    • Coláiste Eoin on the occasion of their International Cultural Week
    • met service users from Cara Cheshire House, Chapelizod

I'm not getting how the ballyfermot travelers are an exclusive group. Is it that they limit their membership to travelers in Ballyfermot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Seachmall wrote: »
    On AH that smiley is actually used to indicate the poster doesn't want to appear offensive or condescending when correcting someone. It's more of a courtesy than anything else.

:rolleyes:

Fook off.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭BackScrub

dvpower wrote: »
    I'm not getting how the ballyfermot travelers are an exclusive group. Is it that they limit their membership to travelers in Ballyfermot?

Did he invite them along to the Trinity Economic Forum then? That's inclusion.

• Advertisement

KeithAFC wrote: »
    I think it was one of the greatest things that could happen to the Irish Republic when Michael got elected. Not only does he come across well but he stopped possibly the two worst candidates to have ever run in any election in Irish history winning. He deserves respect for that.
    KeithAFC wrote: »
    Shows you how bad the politicians in the Republic are. Gay Mitchell was an absolute hero when standing up to Martin Mcguinness and getting his view across. Same with Miriam O'Callaghan.

You seem to base your reasoning on the predication that anything anti SF or Republican, in whatever way, is commendable and should be celebrated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Everyone is invited along to the Trinity Economic Forum (tickets are just €5)

He doesn't run it btw, he just opened it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

We have a Leprechaun now as president. The Americans must love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

So you're stating that he should only make speeches to certain elements of society?

If you looked at his schedule you'd have seen that he has quite a diverse series of engagements since he became president. When he spoke to what you might call the "elites", he challenged them in his speech. he put it up to them to strive for a more inclusive society.

So yes, I do think that illustrates a determination to be a presidency for all. Your conception of that appears to be someone who goes around opening community centres and nothing else. Ironically, you complain about Higgins' limitations and yet seek to constrict his activities and poetential impact even further by attacking him for attending a broad spectrum of functions, and criticising his worth attempts to "speak truth to power" as it were.

Higgins' limitations

Can't reach the flusher on the jacks
    his activities

Sneaking into Mordor.

• Advertisement

You're just snatching at straws now. As another poster pointed out, the Ballyfermot travellers were welcome to attend the Trinity forum.

Your idea of "inclusivity" seems to be one that ostracises whole groups of society. Higgins' seems willing to engage with, and if necessary challenge, all groups within society. I think your vision appears to be the most exclusive.

Sindri wrote: »
    Can't reach the flusher on the jacks

Sneaking into Mordor.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Sindri wrote: »
    You seem to base your reasoning on the predication that anything anti SF or Republican, in whatever way, is commendable and should be celebrated.
    Nope. I thought it was good that a range of different views were shown. Same with Sean Gallagher. Some people didn't like him but he was entitled to run and give his views.

I think Gay Mitchell was just put forward to stop Martin Mcguinness. So it was perhaps the best outcome that Michael D Higgins won.

Advertisement