Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bram Stoker museum in Fairview/Clontarf?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Nodferatu wrote: »
    apparently the stoker family applied AND was granted permission to have a statue erected back in 2009 or something!! forget which year exactly but the problem is they, and the dublin city council haven't come to an agreement where it can put, one of the places st. stephens green but dublin city council won't allow it there god know's why. (bram lived on stephens green for a while). they haven't come to an agreement where they want it. thats the only reason by the sounds of it

Dracula is infinitely superior to Ulysses and yet Joyce gets all the accolades.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

here's the link to the podcast from tubridy show its worth a listen.

www.rte.ie/radio1/podcast/podcast_tubridy.xml

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Nitochris

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]For the day that's in it, and rather than start a new thread, here is Bram Stoker's attempt to save a drowning man[/FONT]

[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]
    On Saturday Dr. Diplock held an inquiry at the Hope Tavern, Arthur-street, Chelsea, as to the death of a man, not yet identified, who jumped off a steamboat on Thursday evening. Mr. Bram Stoker said he lived at 27, Cheyne-walk, Chelsea, and was acting manager at the Lyceum Theatre. On Thursday evening he was on a steamer which was going from Chelsea to London-bridge. He saw the deceased, who was also on the boat, deliberately jump off into the water. Witness threw of his coat and jumped overboard after him, grappled with him, and eventually brought him to the steamer. The deceased, who appeared to have some life in him, was placed on the deck, and means were taken to resuscitate him, but to no effect. Henry Trumfield, a waterman, said he was left in charge of the steamer Twilight on Thursday. He noticed the deceased, who was standing aft, got over the rails of the vessel and jump into the river. He thought the deceased was only in the water five minutes. Police-sergeant George Ross, 5 T, said that a description of the deceased had been circulated, but no one had claimed the body. He appeared to have been a soldier, as he was branded with a “D.” His age was between 60 and 70. He had lost one finger, and was bald. In reply to the coroner, the sergeant said that Mr. Stoker had the body of the deceased taken to his house at Cheyne-walk, and called medical aid. The jury returned a verdict “the deceased committed suicide, but that there was no evidence to show his state of mind.”
    [/FONT]

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ashestoashes

Whoa--that is really cool-
    Bram Stoker won a medal for trying to save the man....I saw something about it on here I think
    http://bramstokerestate.com/Home-of-Bram-Stoker-Estate-Gothic-Dracula-Official-website-Bram-Stoker-Estate.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

I bought this from Amazon the other day, only 1000 copy's were made each one is stamped with number to commemorate Bram Stoker's centenary with a foreword by irish author Colm Toibin. also includes a replica copy of original contract between Bram and his publisher with his signature on bottom. pretty cool

_MG_3128.jpg_MG_3131.jpg
    _MG_3138.jpg_MG_3135.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭etcetc

cool thread, it is really a sad reflection on Dublin Tourism or is it bord failte or is it??? whoever is in charge now(im sure they are getting good salaries and expenses paid) that they can not market Bram Stoker and dracula.

on the florence balcombe link i think oscar wilde was quite upset with bram stoker for stealing his childhood sweetheart http://oscarwildefanclub.com/oscar-wilde-biography-and-notes/

i wonder can anyone clarify but did i read that wilde and stoker roomed together for a time in college?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

etcetc wrote: »
    cool thread, it is really a sad reflection on Dublin Tourism or is it bord failte or is it??? whoever is in charge now(im sure they are getting good salaries and expenses paid) that they can not market Bram Stoker and dracula.

on the florence balcombe link i think oscar wilde was quite upset with bram stoker for stealing his childhood sweetheart http://oscarwildefanclub.com/oscar-wilde-biography-and-notes/

i wonder can anyone clarify but did i read that wilde and stoker roomed together for a time in college?

Just to note that the link on Wilde's bio is full of factual errors about his life - far too many to go into here or it would become an Oscar Wilde thread.

But for one, Wilde met Florence Balcombe some years before he graduated Oxford. They met in the summer of 1875. They were still close a year later when he sent her a painting he had done of Moytura House, a house his father had built in the 1860s on the site of the ancient legendary battle.

Wilde's reaction to her marriage to Bram Stoker is tinged with the theatrics that he loved to display - Richard Ellmann, Wilde's biographer says "his letters [to Florence] after her engagement, sound distressed, not shattered".

Stoker and Wilde didn't room together at Trinity [Stoker was actually 7 years older] but Stoker had often been a guest of the Wildes at Merrion Square and had recommended Oscar for the Philosophical Society, so they did know each other.

Advertisement