Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPad 3 or laptop for engineering?( Mod Post: #68 *READ*)

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭ZRelation

Thats good to know a normal spec computer would do the job. But I read through the requirements of Autodesk Inventor and it says I would need a Full HD screen but every laptop I've been looking at is just HD ready.

Well nice and all as it would be to see your drawings in glorious HD, don't worry, you'll get away fine without it!
    adam500 wrote: »
    There is a lot of posters on here stating that an iPad would be impractical for use on an engineering course, or in your case "biomes-engineering", but I personally don't agree. An Ipad can be used quiet well for all your needs, just as a laptop could, if you take the time to fully understand how to compute it and use it to function for your means, you would adjust perfectly.

I'm going to take a wild stab and say you haven't taken the course.
    with the Auto Cad WS 1.2 sofwere for iPad, the user can reach a high standard of work with this softwere and also with the use of the touch screen pen.

Well since you can only make simple modifications to existing drawings with it at the moment I'd have to question what you mean by high standard of work.

The way things are going I'm sure tablets will some day be able to replace most of what a laptop can do in engineering courses, but right now an Ipad can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 mathperson

Sadly the greater majority if Irish educational institutions have minimal or zero Mac/OSX based computing systems in use,in incomparison to the UK were some of the major University's computer systems are OSX based, witch means that if you were to invest your funds into a Mac laptop or iPad, it would be difficult if not impossible to be compatible with your course material, as your Uni probably will be windows based systems (unfortunately).

There is a lot of posters on here stating that an iPad would be impractical for use on an engineering course, or in your case "biomes-engineering", but I personally don't agree. An Ipad can be used quiet well for all your needs, just as a laptop could, if you take the time to fully understand how to compute it and use it to function for your means, you would adjust perfectly. Chinise students are already abandoning there laptops for touch screen tablets as a more convenient form of computing.

Touch screen tablets is the way computing is heading, it's well documented now that Apple will be focusing on the evolution of the iPad and tablet technology to replace laptops in the future. Touch screen interface is going to be the way, so to conclude your question, the iPad may not be at this moment the most favored form of computing for college goers but in time it will be replacing the laptop and will be and already is, just fine for use.

Adi

Apple laptops/desktops - half the spec for twice the price. And can only run a limited range of software. When I see someone with an Apple computer I know instantly that that there is a 99% chance that person hasnt a clue. And the other 1% is people who are suckers for marketing. There is no other excuse for having an Apple.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Sadly the greater majority if Irish educational institutions have minimal or zero Mac/OSX based computing systems in use,in incomparison to the UK were some of the major University's computer systems are OSX based, witch means that if you were to invest your funds into a Mac laptop or iPad, it would be difficult if not impossible to be compatible with your course material, as your Uni probably will be windows based systems (unfortunately).

There is a lot of posters on here stating that an iPad would be impractical for use on an engineering course, or in your case "biomes-engineering", but I personally don't agree. An Ipad can be used quiet well for all your needs, just as a laptop could, if you take the time to fully understand how to compute it and use it to function for your means, you would adjust perfectly. Chinise students are already abandoning there laptops for touch screen tablets as a more convenient form of computing.
    How long will a person need to persevere with "understanding how to compute it and use it to function for their means" for the iPad to start being capable of running extremely resource-intensive software that occasionally lag on even the most powerful of desktops? :confused:
    Touch screen tablets is the way computing is heading, it's well documented now that Apple will be focusing on the evolution of the iPad and tablet technology to replace laptops in the future. Touch screen interface is going to be the way, so to conclude your question, the iPad may not be at this moment the most favored form of computing for college goers but in time it will be replacing the laptop and will be and already is, just fine for use.
    I highly doubt it. For two reasons:

1. Apple is not going to compete with their own products. Both the Macbook and iPad are fairly successful product lines within Apple.

2. Tablets in their present form are completely unsuited to typing and content production in general. They're nowhere near as powerful as laptops and touch screen interfaces are (At the moment at least) almost completely useless when it comes to creating content. It's not an ideal platform for note-taking nor an ideal platform for CAD/3D drawing.
    The soft were may not be 100% efficient for what may be required, but with the Auto Cad WS 1.2 sofwere for iPad, the user can reach a high standard of work with this softwere and also with the use of the touch screen pen.
    Why the hell would anyone pay €500+ for something that isn't standard, "may not be 100% efficient for what may be required" and is on the whole likely to prove a major hindrance to work?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 adam500

mathperson wrote: »
    Apple laptops/desktops - half the spec for twice the price. And can only run a limited range of software. When I see someone with an Apple computer I know instantly that that there is a 99% chance that person hasnt a clue. And the other 1% is people who are suckers for marketing. There is no other excuse for having an Apple.

I'd like to see things from your point of view but I can't seem to get my head that far up my ass.

Say what you want fools, you all know Apple is at another level, your ignorance and ego inhibit your ability to comprehend :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Say what you want fools, you all know Apple is at another level, your ignorance and ego inhibit your ability to comprehend :):)

Reality distortion field much? Also: you mad?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I'd like to see things from your point of view but I can't seem to get my head that far up my ass.

:pac:

It seems that all logic, sense and intelligent thought goes out the window when it comes to blind brand loyalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Mod NOTE: This is the final warning to quit with the personal jibes. Anymore and infractions will be handed out.

Ye have been warned. Thank you :)

Advertisement