Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackberry free tablet offer to devs

Options
  • 09-02-2012 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭

Surprised there was no mention of this.

Blackberry are giving away a free tablet to any developer who submits a new app to App World, but it has to be specifically for the tablet.

Since the new OS on the tablet will support Android apps, they've even gone and released a tool that plugs into Eclipse. With roughly 3 clicks, you can have an app ready to submit to App World.

If your app gets approved, they'll send you out a free tablet, worth about €200. This is to get their devices in the hands of developers and try and get a lot more 3rd party support, similar to Androids community.

I've my app submitted and approved already. I only registered last weekend. First I installed the environment and tools in eclipse, then ported my app, I then registered on the dev centre, which took about 2 days (REGISTER RIGHT NOW, TRUST ME!!). After that, I submitted by app straight away. There was some fiddling with logos and icons and screenshots, but it didnt take long.

The deadline is Monday, so you may want to get a move on. All you have to do is submit it by Monday, you don't have to have it approved, just submitted. But obviously you'll need your account activated to submit the app.

Link to tools here:
    https://bdsc.webapps.blackberry.com/android/tool/

Info here:
    http://devblog.blackberry.com/2012/02/latest-blackberry-playbook-tablet-offer-for-android-developers/

NOTE: You can submit any app for this promotion. It started off Android only, but there was so many devs wanting to take part, that they just opened it up to any app, as long as its not already submitted to App World. In other words, it HAS to be a new app.

They're not accepting apps that do one function, like a Fart Machine, or web shortcuts, but any app with a bit of complexity will be accepted. Defo worth it for the free Playbook!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 UnklePhil

Awesome! Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭MacGyver

how long did the approval of your app take?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

How can you develop an app without having a testing platform ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

apps have to be submitted by feb 13th to qualify. os 2 with the android player is rumoured tobe out on feb 17th. it's a great deal. i've a 16gb model and it's great. tried the developer os 2 with the android player and it worked pretty smooth so the final release should be even better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Where do I sign up for the dev center!?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

MacGyver wrote: »
    how long did the approval of your app take?

Registered Saturday, account activated Monday, submitted app Monday night, approved Wednesday. Got an email last night (Saturday) saying I got approved for the PlayBook.
    Liam Byrne wrote: »
    How can you develop an app without having a testing platform ?

If you look on the site, they provide tools. The testing platform is actually a VMWare image of a PlayBook. You also need the eclipse plugin which connects to the IP of the running VM and launches your app that way.
    draffodx wrote: »
    Where do I sign up for the dev center!?

here:
    https://appworld.blackberry.com/isvportal/login_input.do

The_B_Man wrote: »

Thanks, I signed up Friday but my account still isn't approved :(

Check your spam folder for the email.

Also, go you can go into the help section and send them an email through their web form. They'll approve you no bother if you do that.
    https://www.blackberry.com/profile/?eventId=8109

Was approved at 3am! I'm currently able to edit a product but I can't see where to upload the bar file, any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

Dammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmnnnnnnnnnn iiiiiiiittttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt!!!

I only saw this today :(
    It would have been so good to get one of these for a few hours work :'(
    If anyone doesn't want their free tablet just send it on to me :P

Fluffy88 wrote: »
    Dammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmnnnnnnnnnn iiiiiiiittttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt!!!

I only saw this today :(
    It would have been so good to get one of these for a few hours work :'(
    If anyone doesn't want their free tablet just send it on to me :P

Apparently the deadline has been extended. ;)

Sweet!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭krazyklown

Hiya, i was thinking of having a go at this, i was just wondering what was the app you submitted? How complex/ the amount of functionality is in it?
    Cheers!
    Registered Saturday, account activated Monday, submitted app Monday night, approved Wednesday. Got an email last night (Saturday) saying I got approved for the PlayBook.

If you look on the site, they provide tools. The testing platform is actually a VMWare image of a PlayBook. You also need the eclipse plugin which connects to the IP of the running VM and launches your app that way.

here:
    https://appworld.blackberry.com/isvportal/login_input.do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

Where do you see that?
    I had great hopes when I saw this link at the bottom of the page you linked to in the OP
    But it turns out, that's the page from last year :(

I'm still waiting on my account to get verified, but if the offer is extended I'll get to work on something tonight.

Again thanks for the info.

EDIT: Sorry for questioning you The_B_Man, found the info http://devblog.blackberry.com/2012/02/playbook-offer-extension/
    Now what to make .... :)
    This is gonna be fun

I just used the APK converter as I was in a rush! Its sent in now anyway so be interesting to see if its approved! If I had a known it was extended I'd have done it properly!

krazyklown wrote: »
    Hiya, i was thinking of having a go at this, i was just wondering what was the app you submitted? How complex/ the amount of functionality is in it?
    Cheers!

See the lotto app in my sig.
    That got approved after 2 days or so, and its available on the market now, with a few downloads as well!

And as fluffy says. heres the proof of the extension@
    PlayBook offer extended

That basically says you have until Wednesday to register as a dev for free, then you have until March 2nd to actually submit your app, so plenty of time to perfect it!

I reckon the reason for that is 2 fold.
    Firstly, to give them more time to get through the backlog, and
    secondly, so dev's wouldnt be panicking to submit apps, causing an overcrowding of rushed, half arsed apps filling App World!

Not bad considering the majority of owners are not running OS 2 yet so cant access the Android apps. Hopefully you'll see more come official launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭krazyklown

Cool nice job - well done!
    See the lotto app in my sig.
    That got approved after 2 days or so, and its available on the market now, with a few downloads as well!

They must be under pressure, it took over 3 days for me just to get an email saying they received my submission!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Groinshot

What are the chances, I just finished an android app in college... Now to modify the code, and submit!

Groinshot wrote: »
    What are the chances, I just finished an android app in college... Now to modify the code, and submit!

Its easy, check out the online apk checker to see what you have to change before you even download the tools, I had to remove Google maps from mine.

Did u sign up as a developer before Wednesday 15th Feb? Coz that was the deadline for registering. App submissions have until March 2nd though, but you had to have registered before the 15th.

Its easy, check out the online apk checker to see what you have to change before you even download the tools, I had to remove Google maps from mine.
    Clear! woo! I had nothing too particular in it, most of it was ported from iOS, and went to android without a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

OS2 is now available for download, so hopefully any of you devs who have got their apps up on App World will see a bump in downloads over the coming days/weeks

Crocked wrote: »
    OS2 is now available for download, so hopefully any of you devs who have got their apps up on App World will see a bump in downloads over the coming days/weeks

I've been waiting 5 days now to hear from them after I got the confirmation that my app submission was successful.

I've been waiting 5 days now to hear from them after I got the confirmation that my app submission was successful.

mine took 5 working days, not including weekend.account was approved on monday last week, i repackaged and submitted on monday night, and got confirmation yesterday! As a side note, has anyone gotten their playbook yet? I'd be curious as to how my app runs on it :p

mine took 5 working days, not including weekend.account was approved on monday last week, i repackaged and submitted on monday night, and got confirmation yesterday! As a side note, has anyone gotten their playbook yet? I'd be curious as to how my app runs on it :p

Do you mean your app has been approved or you've got the submission successful email?

I would have submitted my app the Sunday before you.

Do you mean your app has been approved or you've got the submission successful email?

I would have submitted my app the Sunday before you.

Ah, should read the emails, it's just the submission successful email,

• Advertisement

Ah, should read the emails, it's just the submission successful email,

I thought the same too! Its a bit of a misleading title/first line! 5 days ago that was now :(

Advertisement