Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who will be picked off first?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Are we talking about shufflers or sprinters? If it's sprinters I am screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I don't accept sprinters. Even if the early onset of the disease brings on wild and violent behaviour I would say it would be uncoordinated. Sprinting is energy sapping and a fairly complex action to carry out. I still maintain sick people don't get better at doing anything other than lying on their backs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

ScumLord wrote: »
    I don't accept sprinters. Even if the early onset of the disease brings on wild and violent behaviour I would say it would be uncoordinated. Sprinting is energy sapping and a fairly complex action to carry out. I still maintain sick people don't get better at doing anything other than lying on their backs.

Phew. Just might have a chance so. Niiiice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

Despite all the emergency plans and assumptions of survival, etc. the vast majority of us are screwed regardless of how quick the zombies move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Old Tom

1. the ones attached to friends and family
    2. the ones who try to help everyone
    3. children
    4. ill and stuck to bed/wheelchair
    5. "heroes"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,734 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

number 5 definetly :)

All of them definitely :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

batm!ke wrote: »
    Ah right, I would reckon the homeless... and probably a fair amount of lads who don't go to a doc and say "I'll be alright, tis' only a flu" so large groups of males probably would get hit. Then from there probably public service people, Bus Drivers, Taxis, then Nurses, Doctors and Cops? :o

D'oh. It'd be people who do seek medical treatment who would be infected first. Think about it, someone gets bitten badly, they go see a doctor or to AE, pretty soon anyone at the doctors or AE will be infected, whether they were there for a flu, broken leg or sick child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭batm!ke

al28283 wrote: »
    D'oh. It'd be people who do seek medical treatment who would be infected first. Think about it, someone gets bitten badly, they go see a doctor or to AE, pretty soon anyone at the doctors or AE will be infected, whether they were there for a flu, broken leg or sick child.

I said people who have the virus first and it exhibits like a flu, not people who are bitten. I think we'd all hit the doctors if some crazy came up and bit us. "D'oh" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Old Tom wrote: »
    1. the ones attached to friends and family
    2. the ones who try to help everyone
    3. children
    4. ill and stuck to bed/wheelchair
    5. "heroes"

After doing a little bit of research (watched a lot of b movies) I think we're all over analysing it.

The first people picked off are the ugly people - I'm scared.

• Advertisement

Oranage2 wrote: »
    After doing a little bit of research (watched a lot of b movies) I think we're all over analysing it.

The first people picked off are the ugly people - I'm scared.
    You, my friend need to watch the original dawn of the dead! :D

Oranage2 wrote: »
    (watched a lot of b movies)
    If it's the B-class zombie productions that you mean, I think that here is your problem :)

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭ChaseThisLight

Was having a read through this again, and with the majority agreeing the old, infirm, wheelchair bound, etc would be among the first to go, I've come to the conclusion that I may be in trouble.

I just moved, and across the street is a retirement community, and behind my house is an Alzheimer's care facility.

I've either got plenty of zombie fodder when the time comes...or I'm living in a death trap. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭ratticus

I am speechless that this section of boards even exists. :-)
    Not sure who will die first but certainly know who will live longest; those with a good size boat, some fishing line and a water distillation kit. Never seen a Zombie that could swim.

ratticus wrote: »
    Never seen a Zombie that could swim.

I've seen zombies that walked under water; not sure if I really think they could, but they don't need to breath, so...

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Barr125

Depends on what kinda virus you're talking about really.

If it's the Max Brooks 24 hour incubator, then I imagine that a lot of the very 1st infected will be hospital patients and/or staff, then Guards/Law Enforcement called to the scene to try and qualm the masses.

If it's the insta-change type, well then everyone's up for grabs.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

i know this is a light hearted thread but if there was any sort of new disease outbreak not necessacairly a zombie outbreak. it would follow the basic patterns of any disease. the most vulnerable would be the young,old,sick and anyone with an imuno-difficency disease. the most likely to survive would be healthy adults.
    http://virus.stanford.edu/uda/
    The influenza pandemic of 1918-1919 killed more people than the Great War, known today as World War I (WWI), at somewhere between 20 and 40 million people.
    The flu was most deadly for people ages 20 to 40. This pattern of morbidity was unusual for influenza which is usually a killer of the elderly and young children. It infected 28% of all Americans (Tice).
    The effect of the influenza epidemic was so severe that the average life span in the US was depressed by 10 years. The influenza virus had a profound virulence, with a mortality rate at 2.5% compared to the previous influenza epidemics, which were less than 0.1%. The death rate for 15 to 34-year-olds of influenza and pneumonia were 20 times higher in 1918 than in previous years (Taubenberger). People were struck with illness on the street and died rapid deaths. One anectode shared of 1918 was of four women playing bridge together late into the night. Overnight, three of the women died from influenza (Hoagg). Others told stories of people on their way to work suddenly developing the flu and dying within hours (Henig). One physician writes that patients with seemingly ordinary influenza would rapidly "develop the most viscous type of pneumonia that has ever been seen" and later when cyanosis appeared in the patients, "it is simply a struggle for air until they suffocate," (Grist, 1979). Another physician recalls that the influenza patients "died struggling to clear their airways of a blood-tinged froth that sometimes gushed from their nose and mouth," (Starr, 1976).
    Stores could not hold sales, funerals were limited to 15 minutes.

And that was without a zombie vector

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Have any of ye seen the film https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Awakenings ?

looks like H1N1 / Spanish flu does have an effect ....

Update https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Encephalitis_lethargica
    The disease attacks the brain, leaving some victims in a statue-like condition, speechless and motionless.[3] Between 1915 and 1926,[4] an epidemic of encephalitis lethargica spread around the world; no recurrence of the epidemic has since been reported, though isolated cases continue to occur.[5
    Jang et al. (2009) at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital, USA, discovered that a H5N1 Bird Flu (strain A/VN/1203/1204) infection in mice causes severe loss of tyrosine-hydroxylase positive dopaminergic neurons 60 days after infection by provoking a destructive autoimmune response, thus suggesting the infection by certain strains of flu might increase the risk of Parkinson's disease in humans.
    The discovery by Oliver Sacks that L-DOPA could relieve some symptoms was described in his book Awakenings in 1973.

The Russians are making a Zombie gun
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2123415/Putin-targets-foes-zombie-gun-attack-victims-central-nervous-system.html?ito=feeds-newsxml
    Mind-bending ‘psychotronic’ guns that can effectively turn people into zombies have been given the go-ahead by Russian president Vladimir Putin.

thats probably the most bizzare article i've read this week, and that includes the april fools ones :D

• Advertisement

I've seen zombies that walked under water; not sure if I really think they could, but they don't need to breath, so...
    Corpses typically float but that's down to a build up of gases due to decomposition which probably won't happen with zombies as they are not decomposing. I'd imagine they'd be pretty crap under water, they would have to swim as walking on the sea bed would be next to impossible without weights. They may have neutral buoyancy which would mean they could move any direction in water like a fish.

Whether or not they could swim would probably be down to when they learned and how often they do it. If they learned from an early age it's a deep seated instinct as much as walking would be.

ScumLord wrote: »
    Corpses typically float but that's down to a build up of gases due to decomposition which probably won't happen with zombies as they are not decomposing. I'd imagine they'd be pretty crap under water, they would have to swim as walking on the sea bed would be next to impossible without weights. They may have neutral buoyancy which would mean they could move any direction in water like a fish.

Whether or not they could swim would probably be down to when they learned and how often they do it. If they learned from an early age it's a deep seated instinct as much as walking would be.

Yeah, I agree...I only mentioned it because of Land of the Dead/Survival of the Dead. Didn't like that part of either movie, which is why I said I'm not sure if I think they could. Made no sense to me at all, zombies walking under water.

Yeah, I agree...I only mentioned it because of Land of the Dead/Survival of the Dead. Didn't like that part of either movie, which is why I said I'm not sure if I think they could. Made no sense to me at all, zombies walking under water.
    That's the movies for ya, one of these days I'm going to make the most realistic and therefore, possibly most boring zombie film ever. It' will be scientifically sound though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,946 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

I live on a farm and still imagine great difficulty, trying to survive without the local shop, plenty of beef but no butcher, and possibly worst of all we stopped growing our own potatoes years ago. In the post zombie/virus world we would have no spuds!, and I doubt many would.

surely not the hardest thing to learn how to kill,and butcher a cow into manageable bits for the oven or frying pan with a few sharp yokes around a farm??OK,it mightnt be the best cut presented bit of strak,but so what??
    In this country the power will run for a while from Ardnacrusha / wind farm's which probably has automated systems which can manage to deal with supply and demand issues (more supply than demand) but would have difficulty dealing with breakdowns, just as the water pressure would be great for a long time in the tap but again over time small leaks grow and new leaks form, until the pressure is gone. I do not know how our communications would work, or fail, maybe there is some emergency plan for our country, but so far but it does seem like an incident, requiring a town or city to be evacuated, would be spread quicker by Facebook then by our government.

Well Ardnacrusha supplies about less than 5% power to the national grid these days,its so dated now.Thing is once power goes and it will in appx 12 hours without human control,as there are things that still have to be switched on and off by human hand,and if it doesnt the whole system cascades into a total shutdown mode .However if it is a Z pandemic.I'd assume there will be some human control of the Lekky for possibly a week ten days???Once the technicans and engineers are gone thats the power and water gone bar whatever is in storage tanks etc and is worked by gravity pressure.No power,no electric pumps to maintain water pressure.

TBH our comms and national emergency plan in this country is a very sick joke!If you can remember the famous Marion Finicuane/Min Joe Jacobs interview on RTE radio in Oct 2001.[Google it] and the totally pathetic response to a national emergency plan by Min Jacobs...You will realise with the kind of ejits past present and future that we elect in here to look after these things..You are better off on your own making your own plans.:eek::D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭.SONIC.

Post deleted by mod for having racist and sexist content. User Banned for 1 week.

Infraction given for above post.

Try to be more civil please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

.SONIC. wrote: »
    content deleted

I don't think we have many African-American women of any sort in Dublin and I doubt there's any working in Tesco :pac:.

Advertisement