Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€14.5m spent on garda resources at Corrib site

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

The government creating jobs for Irish people..the nerve of them! But sure who would work when you can live a cushy life on the dole, right?

Yeah totes. The vast majority of people on the dole are just delighted with their situation. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

OP, transporting Taxis full of doughnuts and burgers from Ballina is an expensive business you know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

Fair play to those protestors.

If YOU just got a letter from Shell to say:

Apologies but we are taking over your land to build an unsightly large pipe for pumping oil / gas through which is both hazardous & toxic etc... etc...

Well - I know what I'd be doing. But since you don't live down their or aren't in that situation I feel you can't really give out / have a say in this ( nor can I )

But I'm just trying to put myself in their shoes.
    It's similiar to the other incident involving ESB wanting to run a cable through some old womans land and she was having none of it.

Obviously if you pay for 70% of your life to pay for a small bit of land which you now cannot even call your own or have no say in is IMO ridiculous.

Q - the nanny brigade, camp irish ppl coming on here now to support Shell / corporations over the ordinary joe soap.

But that's the problem with us Irish isn't it ?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 120 ✭✭ludermor

1. They aren't protesting "out in the rain". As proven at the Occupy Dame st camp, most protesters went home at the end of the day (a bit like a 9-5 day job of protesting) to their lush D4 mansions. They never stayed over night in the tents. Same at the Corrib gas site. The gang of unemployables get on the train with their free travel passes and have a nice day out throwing rocks at the gardai, before going home for their dinner of tofu and broccoli.

2. If you actually had a job you would care what your taxes were being spent on. Says more about your character more than anything really. Give these scruff-bags priority over sick kids in Temple St hospital....
    Do you know how far away the nearest train station is from the Corrib Site? There has been a permanent presence in the campsites for over 7 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

These career protesters are a cancer on the Irish nation. Protesting for the sake of it. Yet they are all on the dole and happy to leech off the state that they're protesting against. Whether it's Occupy Dame St, storming the gates at the Dail or the Corrib gas field, these morons are sure to be there with their megaphones and beards. Send in the army as security at the Corrib site instead and let them practice with live rounds.

Saddest part is that they've tainted protesting for the rest of the country, so any hard-working citizen who has a genuine reason to march or picket will be discouraged from doing so for fear of being associated with these degenerates. These wasters are a drain on our taxes at a time we need the money more than ever. So if your child is in an over-crowded class room or you're waiting several hours to get seen at the hospital, you can blame the beards.

Banned

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Quick question - the Rossport Five, weren't they initially protesting because they weren't getting enough money for their land. Once they settled that did they leave the protests?

Are any of them still active in the protests now that they've reached settlements about their land purchase?

[This is all just what I've been told. May or may not be true]

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

This moron will never amount to anything.

And what have you amounted to? Trolling the internet and pulling the wire off yourself when someone is taken in by your BS?

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Slang_Tang

d1975 wrote: »
    From RTE.ie

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0209/corrib.html

that annoys me, not giving out at the garda but the bloody protesters they cost this fecking twits.

Yep, the protesters were the problem, not the protection of big business or overzealous policing.

The Guards made a fortune in overtime, expenses and hotels. I don't blame them, though, I blame whoever managed that mess. And sure, drafting in the navy was definitely needed for a small camp of protesters with inflatable little boats.

At most points, there were more guards back there than protesters.

The rich protect the rich. The poor fight amongst ourselves. Plus ça change!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Isn't it usually about this time where we get a link to that video where Norwegians are doorstepped and told that Ray Burke/Bertie Ahern/Lord Vader/Voldemort sold our "enormous" reserves for three shiny pennies and a pint of Bass?

That **** never gets old. Or accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭waxon-waxoff

The problem with Rossport and Occupy Dame St is that they have both been there for too long with nothing happening and now its boring. The media and the passing public have seen it before so it makes no impact. I agree with the purpose of Dame St but the camp looks like a dump in the middle of town. Its also in the wrong place, it should be in the IFSC outside the offices of the German and French banks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

What did the fat protester do fir christmas?

Occupied Quality street.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

€14.5m spent on garda resources at Corrib site.

If that's the case €29m will be needed for Garda resources at the Leitrim Fracking site. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Robbo wrote: »
    Isn't it usually about this time where we get a link to that video where Norwegians are doorstepped and told that Ray Burke/Bertie Ahern/Lord Vader/Voldemort sold our "enormous" reserves for three shiny pennies and a pint of Bass?

That **** never gets old. Or accurate.

That video has such blatant disregard for facts and context it's laughable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Peetrik wrote: »
    Yes that right, it wasn't the bankers or our corrupt politicans that caused our debt, it was protestors.
    The problem isn't that we're giving away a 45bn euro resource for free, its the people who are actually getting up off their arses to protest against it that are the problem. How dare they.

I know AH is exactly the sort of place for brainless ideas but I'm actually embarrassed on your behalf because its clear your too stupid to be.

The way the industry works is you give companies an incentive to drill when you don't have a clue what's there. If they find stuff, more companies come to drill and we can charge them on what they find. That's what happened to norway. This idea that we gave away 45 billion of oil (or whatever figure is being plucked from Maura Harringtons arse) is rubbish. We sold drilling rights which is completely standard procedure when you don't know whats out there.
    Stiffler2 wrote: »
    Fair play to those protestors.

If YOU just got a letter from Shell to say:

Apologies but we are taking over your land to build an unsightly large pipe for pumping oil / gas through which is both hazardous & toxic etc... etc...

Well - I know what I'd be doing. But since you don't live down their or aren't in that situation I feel you can't really give out / have a say in this ( nor can I )

But I'm just trying to put myself in their shoes.
    It's similiar to the other incident involving ESB wanting to run a cable through some old womans land and she was having none of it.

Obviously if you pay for 70% of your life to pay for a small bit of land which you now cannot even call your own or have no say in is IMO ridiculous.

Q - the nanny brigade, camp irish ppl coming on here now to support Shell / corporations over the ordinary joe soap.

But that's the problem with us Irish isn't it ?

Yes, nothing should be build in Ireland if someones land needs to be bought. Thats the way to progress. Jesus wept :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

Shell are a law unto themselves. They will do what they want when they want and there will be no stopping them. This is not the first time shell have flouted conditions and it wont be the last. We see all these films and documentaries on multinational companies behaving unscrupulously in the past. Many of them still do the same but have evolved in coverup methods.

http://www.midwestradio.ie/mwr/news/6537-shell-receives-warning-over-breaches-of-conditions-during-pipeline-construction-in-north-mayo.html

Advertisement