Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music pet peeves

Options
  • 09-02-2012 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,388 ✭✭✭

What are your music pet peeves. Things you don't like about music or the music industry.

Here's Mine
    (1)Songs with long intro- I hate songs that have those long intros before the song actually starts to begin. An example would be Damage Inc by Metallica. The intro to it goes on for about over a minute, and I just think it's unnessary and too long. 10 seconds is all you need, then just f*cking start the song.

(2)Songs that just repeat the same sound over and over- There's one particular song that Courtney Love sings. Can't remember the name, but the song just has her singing the same lyrics over and over, and the sound dosen't change. It's almost like listening to a song that constantly repeats after 10 seconds. I'm not a fan of Courtney but listening to it was mind numblingly boring. I think there are some others song like it too, where it just dosen't change.

(3)Evil corporate overlord record labels- I've come the learn over the years, that music industry can be very greedy, because of record labels. Companies who care only about making money and put pressue on bands to bring out a new album, putting a strain on the band. Art takes time and paitience, it's going to take a while to write a song(let alone an album) and then make the album. Here's a link to what i'm talking about. http://www.cracked.com/article_19647_the-6-most-elaborate-f-yous-from-musicians-to-industry_p2.html. I realise that these companies are businesses and all, and have to make money. But c'mon, they set a bad example for what music is supposed to be about.

(4)Songs that are overexposed/overplayed/overused- Dosen't it grind your teeth whenever your in a rock bar or club and they play GnR Sweet Child of Mine all the time. I consider it the national anthem of rock music, because much like our national anthem that get's played at closing times in bars and clubs. Sweet Child of Mine get's played every night in these places and don't get me started with it on the radio either. Oasis's Wonderwall is another one that's overexposed. Especially if you're at a party and someone breaks out the guitar(you know where I'm going with this;)).

(5)The term "sellout"- I know what it means, I just tend to disagree with a lot of the people who use it. Metallica being sellouts is one of the oldest arguments going, even today. people called them sellouts post-Black Album. Saying that they went away from the roots, something that I disagree with. But a more recent case is Kings of Leon. I'm not a fan of them so i'm not really familiar with their work. But a lot of people call them sellouts now because apparently their music isn't as good as it used to be. I don't know what all that's about but it sounds to me, more like the band are simply stuck for good music material, or maybe trying something out and possibly that they're being pressured which would explain the above point.

i'll post more later but anyway, what are your music pet peeves?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

I think the term "sellout" is a nice way to say that you've given up on a band and don't like their new direction and don't want to sound like an eejit.

But yeah irks me too.

I don't really mind tunes with long intros but I listen to the likes of YOB and other sludgey bands so the repetition point is moot for me too.

Regarding songs that are overplayed? GnR are the worst to come out of this. It's also what really annoys me about Radio Nova. A self professed "Rock" station it plays this sh!t to the death and then repeats the same "classic" tracks over and over and over again.

One that immediately came to mind was what I can only describe as the "muted explosion" type sound after a breakdown.

Aborted do it all the f*ckin' time. (At 1:27 in this vid).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Riddle101 wrote: »
    What are your music pet peeves. Things you don't like about music or the music industry.

Here's Mine
    (1)Songs with long intro- I hate songs that have those long intros before the song actually starts to begin. An example would be Damage Inc by Metallica. The intro to it goes on for about over a minute, and I just think it's unnessary and too long. 10 seconds is all you need, then just f*cking start the song.

(2)Songs that just repeat the same sound over and over- There's one particular song that Courtney Love sings. Can't remember the name, but the song just has her singing the same lyrics over and over, and the sound dosen't change. It's almost like listening to a song that constantly repeats after 10 seconds. I'm not a fan of Courtney but listening to it was mind numblingly boring. I think there are some others song like it too, where it just dosen't change.

(3)Evil corporate overlord record labels- I've come the learn over the years, that music industry can be very greedy, because of record labels. Companies who care only about making money and put pressue on bands to bring out a new album, putting a strain on the band. Art takes time and paitience, it's going to take a while to write a song(let alone an album) and then make the album. Here's a link to what i'm talking about. http://www.cracked.com/article_19647_the-6-most-elaborate-f-yous-from-musicians-to-industry_p2.html. I realise that these companies are businesses and all, and have to make money. But c'mon, they set a bad example for what music is supposed to be about.

(4)Songs that are overexposed/overplayed/overused- Dosen't it grind your teeth whenever your in a rock bar or club and they play GnR Sweet Child of Mine all the time. I consider it the national anthem of rock music, because much like our national anthem that get's played at closing times in bars and clubs. Sweet Child of Mine get's played every night in these places and don't get me started with it on the radio either. Oasis's Wonderwall is another one that's overexposed. Especially if you're at a party and someone breaks out the guitar(you know where I'm going with this;)).

(5)The term "sellout"- I know what it means, I just tend to disagree with a lot of the people who use it. Metallica being sellouts is one of the oldest arguments going, even today. people called them sellouts post-Black Album. Saying that they went away from the roots, something that I disagree with. But a more recent case is Kings of Leon. I'm not a fan of them so i'm not really familiar with their work. But a lot of people call them sellouts now because apparently their music isn't as good as it used to be. I don't know what all that's about but it sounds to me, more like the band are simply stuck for good music material, or maybe trying something out and possibly that they're being pressured which would explain the above point.

i'll post more later but anyway, what are your music pet peeves?

If the album starts with an intro of a minute or so, or a concert, it should be fine. Some Black Metal Acts, for example, use classical music for that purpose, and it fits brilliant, imo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Wow, I really like that intro to Damage Inc, its actually the best part of the song, it had some emotional depth to it, the rest of it is just forgettable cliched thrash riffage.

Pet peeves of mine

Trebley telecast guitars, you know what I'm talking about, Artic Monkeys/Libertine style guitar playing. Its one way to butcher the sound on a guitar.

Stock melody lines that are meant to be epic but sound cliched, like that ginger singer song writer dude whose really popular now.

Over-mastering.

As regards selling out there are two ways, one is to take a new musical direction (fine) the other is to actually sell out and abandon all sense of artistic integrity (bad) and the latter is usually self evident.

Lack of guitar solos in songs these days

Avoidance of prog in most music these days.

Inane lyrics, and this also applies to lyrics which attempt to sound deep but don't really say anything, ie Radiohead.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Fi H

I disagree on the intros but agree about the overplay, also with the comment about radio nova playing the same songs over and over.
    Pet peeves are
    1 girls who try to sing with vibrato a la christina aguilera
    2 the fact that an overweight girl will get abused or not considered for the music industry (beth ditto comes to mind as successful but much abused) but an overweight guy is the cuddly member of the band or generally not commented on!
    3 the fact that rock music has become very unoriginal with less and less new sounds coming out
    4 the fact that kings of leon played slane, just cause you can sell thousands of tickets does not make you an awesome band, slane should be reserved for epic bands that will stand the test of time, I cant see my kids reaching for the cds in twenty years time and hoping for an original kol album!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

The bass! Turn up the fucking bass in songs. It's an instrument so use it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Weekend rockers who like to see themselves as rock/metal fans but would never dream of digging deeper than AC/DC, Guns 'n' Roses, Rage Against The Machine, Iron Maiden, Metallica etc.

The complete ignorance displayed by the Irish media towards anything heavier than these bands.

The championing of music like The Libertines or Kings Of Leon is baffling to me.

No decent metal festivals in Ireland that could rival the likes of Wacken or Hellfest.

The fact that Ireland hasn't produced a band worthy of Thin Lizzy since Phil died, with the exception of Rory Gallagher. But he wasn't a band.

Loads more I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,721 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

The fact that Ireland hasn't produced a band worthy of Thin Lizzy since Phil died, with the exception of Rory Gallagher. But he wasn't a band.

I didn't realise Rory arrived after Phil's Death. In fairness, the entire world has difficulty producing a band that could live up to Thin Lizzy's standards...

However, I do think the music scene in Ireland is in a bad way... Every twelve year old wants to be famous now, but they don't want fame for their talent and they don't want to have to work for it. It makes me sad that the guitar will be seen as a relic of the past soon enough...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,721 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Weekend rockers who like to see themselves as rock/metal fans but would never dream of digging deeper than AC/DC, Guns 'n' Roses, Rage Against The Machine, Iron Maiden, Metallica etc.

I'm trying to get my head around this statement...
    People should listen to different music because you think they should like it?
    You think that your idea of what a 'rocker' is, must be adhered to by everyone else?
    You think you are better than others because you listen to 'better' music than them?

If they like rock and metal, that makes them rock/metal fans. If they don't like your music, they are still rock and metal fans. Maybe you are the one who is wrong here...

One of my pet hates about the music industry. Kids who think they are ****ing awesome, because they like heavy metal and rock and coz they dress different. - Well, I was doing it 20 years ago, and not allot has changed - the kids are copying what we did then and not moving things forward. The only thing that seems to have changed is that so many guitarists are obsessed with distortion rather than actually learing their instruments - and music is suffering as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭RebelSoul

Music snobbery

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

I just listened to this great new band!

...you wouldn't have heard of them.

• Advertisement

Any band that NME put on the front cover, calling them "The next big thing"

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

1. "Brutal" metal. The kind with constant blastbeats, downtuned guitar scales and indecipherable gurgling. I like plenty of heavy stuff, but I've never seen the appeal of this.

2. Major keys. There are numerous exceptions of course, but in general I find "happy" songs very uninteresting to listen to. There's rarely any kind of tension to keep you listening, conflict in the lyrics, or something to think about when it's over.

3. To disagree with nyarlothothep, I think UNDER-mastering is a huge problem in rock and metal. I've a huge appreciation for good production and oftentimes bands' output is so badly produced as to detract from my enjoyment of the music itself. In particular, distorted guitar is something that really suffers when not well polished. In Flames' first few albums are a good example.

4. Cliché lyrics do my head in, regardless of genre. For the sake of originality, all rhymes of "girl" with "world", "you" with "true", "me" with "see", "eyes" with "lies" and so many others should be banned. Mercifully, a lot of metal music uses free verse lyrics which don't rhyme.

5. I really dislike the floaty, echoe-y, recorded-in-an-underwater-warehouse sound pervading a lot of music (or at least the Phantom crowd) these days. Good musical ideas and vocals get totally lost in a sea of reverb, not to mention the fact that it singles a song out as attempting to sound "wistful" and "deep".

6. The whiny American accent a lot of vocalists choose to adopt. I'd be extremely averse to anything approaching emo (or it's PC cousin, pop-punk) but the unfathomable popularity of this singing style means that a lot of legitimately decent bands are being overlooked purely because their singer is lumping them in with this musical manure pile.

More with almost certainly spring to mind soon.

chin_grin, what I believe you're referring to as a "muted explosion" is the sound of a guitar pick being scraped along the strings. I actually think it's a pretty cool effect when used sparingly :p

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

Loads more I'm sure.

Primordial? There are lots of really good Irish metal bands around, not trying to be smart or anything but do you follow your own advice and dig deep in an effort to find them?

Joe_Dull wrote: »
    6. The whiny American accent a lot of vocalists choose to adopt. I'd be extremely averse to anything approaching emo (or it's PC cousin, pop-punk) but the unfathomable popularity of this singing style means that a lot of legitimately decent bands are being overlooked purely because their singer is lumping them in with this musical manure pile.

Emo (sorry about the intros OP :P )

Pop punk

I wouldn't say they're very closely related. I actually quite like both, but they're not alike at all. The pop-punk bands who are labelled emo (read: my chemical romance) are the reason neither genre can have nice things. :L

The whiny American accent does nothing for me though, for example circa survive's vocals are just unbearable but I think I might actually like them otherwise. So I definitely agree with you there.

Joe_Dull wrote: »
    Major keys. There are numerous exceptions of course, but in general I find "happy" songs very uninteresting to listen to. There's rarely any kind of tension to keep you listening, conflict in the lyrics, or something to think about when it's over.

This is interesting, I myself tend to overwhelmingly favour songs in minor keys, you're right, there is a tension there which makes you think about the content. I identify with songs which have something critical to say about the world and which have an atmosphere of gloom or anger. I like happy songs too but not as many, Boston's More than a Feeling is euphoric. Queen is the exception though, their music is more on the optimistic side but they're so good that it doesn't matter.

jpm4 wrote: »
    Primordial? There are lots of really good Irish metal bands around, not trying to be smart or anything but do you follow your own advice and dig deep in an effort to find them?

What makes you think I haven't? Yes there are lots of really good Irish bands. None great, unfortunately. Primordial are fine but they're a niche band within a niche genre.

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I'm trying to get my head around this statement...
    People should listen to different music because you think they should like it?
    You think that your idea of what a 'rocker' is, must be adhered to by everyone else?
    You think you are better than others because you listen to 'better' music than them?

If they like rock and metal, that makes them rock/metal fans. If they don't like your music, they are still rock and metal fans. Maybe you are the one who is wrong here...

One of my pet hates about the music industry. Kids who think they are ****ing awesome, because they like heavy metal and rock and coz they dress different. - Well, I was doing it 20 years ago, and not allot has changed - the kids are copying what we did then and not moving things forward. The only thing that seems to have changed is that so many guitarists are obsessed with distortion rather than actually learing their instruments - and music is suffering as a result.

Don't be silly, that's not what I meant at all and I'd thank you not to imply that I'm some sort of close minded snob. You can choose to miss my point all you want. Everyone's fully entitled to listen to whatever the hell they want. I actually like 1 or 2 of the bands I mentioned.

I'm not going to bother explaining myself either as I felt I was clear enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

What makes you think I haven't? Yes there are lots of really good Irish bands. None great, unfortunately. Primordial are fine but they're a niche band within a niche genre.

Well it just comes down to subjective opinion at the end of the day doesn't it? As much as I love Lizzy I think people tend to have rose tinted glasses on when it comes to examining their legacy- a few classic albums and a fair few ropey/forgettable ones too.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Deathcore in general. Most of the bands are just terrible sounding as far as I'm concerned. There are a few I like that might be considered deathcore, like The Black Dahlia Murder, but bands like Bring Me The Horizon have a far too inflated sense of self worth than I think they warrant.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭bnt

The bass! Turn up the fucking bass in songs. It's an instrument so use it.
    Yah, and stop treating the bass like it's just a guitar with fatter strings that rumbles along with the chord changes. Stick that plectrum up your nose for a minute, and try digging in with your fingers, and listen. You're a full member of the band - not "backing", not the one stuck with the instrument no-one else wanted. Put the boot in. :cool:

In general, my favourite bands are those in which all members are important, and all make major contributions to the sound. Replacing any one of them would not be easy, and it would change the band and their style. I get bored by "front men" whose requirements from the "backing band" are so modest that they might as well be backed by a MacBook. I want to hear the music that can't be programmed in to a sequencer.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭googsy

I really could be here till 5am typing.... better not tonight.... have to be up early tomorrow.... I think my mind is ready to explode from thinking about all the banal manufactured wannabe sh1te I hear and see on radio & TV most days.... it's a bad day when a heavy metaller has to turn on Lyric FM to hear anything decent melodies on the radio these days.... did I just say that ? :eek:

googsy wrote: »
    I really could be here till 5am typing.... better not tonight.... have to be up early tomorrow.... I think my mind is ready to explode from thinking about all the banal manufactured wannabe sh1te I hear and see on radio & TV most days.... it's a bad day when a heavy metaller has to turn on Lyric FM to hear anything decent melodies on the radio these days.... did I just say that ? :eek:

It's not that wierd, some of the best metal borrows heavily from classical music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Orchestras/string quartets playing keyboard music e.g. some singer songwriter with classical musicans but their playing is rubbish e.g. the same note over and over e.g. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GOuHzH5vSA

Normally I'm all for musical tolerance but metal fans who listen to Lady Gaga are traitors to the brotherhood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

You can't be a rock and disco fan. Sorry but that's old as the annals of time its either one; or none.

Having said the even the bee gees now appear rock with all the lack of human endeavor / musicality in today's disco.. Which is more popular than ever.

LH Pathe wrote: »
    You can't be a rock and disco fan. Sorry but that's old as the annals of time its either one; or none.

Having said the even the bee gees now appear rock with all the lack of human endeavor / musicality in today's disco.. Which is more popular than ever.

I thought that too when I was 14.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Tarkus

RebelSoul wrote: »
    Music snobbery

#1 on my list

I could die a happy man if they'd learn to like their music with their mouths shut...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

LH Pathe wrote: »

What about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Dark Artist

You can definitely be a rock and disco fan. I'm a massive fan of metal and a huge fan of pop. I would listen to Between the Buried and Me one minute and throw on a Britney tune the next, and enjoy each song equally. Not that Britney can really be considered 'disco' but you get my point.

As for music pet peeves, I hate songs that don't make an effort to have distinct melodies or sounds that make them unique. Songs that sound like the writer didn't even try... genericism I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Nolanger wrote: »
    What about this?

I cannot see that on 1st gen touch are you tryng to make a case?! saying it cannot be is not saying it hasn't been! can appreciate but to affiliate with wholly contrasting things to me means being into nothing in particular

..It's not one big love-in i hate scangers and their affiliations am not pandering to those clowns.

Advertisement