Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simpsons - decent episodes from season 10 to 23?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

KungPao wrote: »
    They aren't really.

That episode was like if the simpsons came to Ireland and were abducted by a limerick gang or the IRA and it was supposed to be funny. And there were redsetters or deer everywhere on the streets of Dublin (instead of monkeys) to name a few comparisons.

And making jokes about favelas and suggesting they are all thieves etc.

A very bizarre episode and nothing like regular life in Brazil. So naturally they were a bit peeved.

lol, when the Simpsons came to Ireland it's not like we got off lightly. Or what about jokes about hanging Irish people? "Ah, sure t'was all in good fun!". They have made specific jokes about the IRA on St Patricks Day when a red bus with the English flag goes past and an obvious stereotype says "Back in the day, we'd have been all over that!"...etc etc etc.

Brazilians kicked off over the Simpsons episode, over the Stallone movie that was made there and if you have any interest in MMA at all you would know that very recently an American MMA fighter was actually refused entry to the country because he made a joke about a Brazilian fighter feeding a carrot to a bus because he thought it was a horse (fairly tame with regard to hyping fights)...and he was told if he went to Brazil he would be killed.

As such, i stand by my statement...Brazilians seem to be a bit fragile with regard to nationalism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

It's like watching a loved one who used to be vibrant, witty and energetic become old, ill, fragile struggling through a hopeless pain. The body is there and still functioning yet the heart and mind have gone. The days of humour and stimulating conversations have ceased.

You reach a point where you just want to see their suffering end (i.e. cancellation) but they still keep on drawinig breath staving off the inevitable.

When the Simpsons does pass away, it's Wake will feature with rose tinted glasses and a remembrance of the golden years with great fondness and reverence by both critics and audiences alike.

The 'cash cow' for Fox years will be forgotten in time and tv history will judge The Simpsons as possibly the best tv series of all time and my own personal favorite.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

My favourite episode is the one where bart gets an elephant,season 5 or 6 I think?

Ah, Stampy the Elephant. "KBBL is gonna give me some stupid prize."

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭shantolog

One of the classic-era gags I never got. :o

I think the whole moew thing was a jingle off an advert for cat food, thats why he's saying meow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

shantolog wrote: »
    I think the whole moew thing was a jingle off an advert for cat food, thats why he's saying meow.

Meox Mix :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭brennan1979

ScumLord wrote: »
    I think it's coming good again, the latest episodes from the states are pretty decent but it's going to be hard to impossible for them to get back to the early days success it's just been done and there's only so many times you can watch the same joke over and over again.

Watched a new epsiode on Sky 1 last night where Bart discovers a sword shaped scar on his hand and Marge becomes friends with three women she fell out with years ago. It was diabolical. Even the worst episode would have something that would at least raise a smile. Please put this show out of its misery. For me, the first episode I saw where I thought wow that was really bad was the one where Homer joins the navy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

foxyboxer wrote: »
    It's like watching a loved one who used to be vibrant, witty and energetic become old, ill, fragile struggling through a hopeless pain. The body is there and still functioning yet the heart and mind have gone. The days of humour and stimulating conversations have ceased.

You reach a point where you just want to see their suffering end (i.e. cancellation) but they still keep on drawinig breath staving off the inevitable.

When the Simpsons does pass away, it's Wake will feature with rose tinted glasses and a remembrance of the golden years with great fondness and reverence by both critics and audiences alike.

The 'cash cow' for Fox years will be forgotten in time and tv history will judge The Simpsons as possibly the best tv series of all time and my own personal favorite.

Pretty much this. Its horrible to see a show that was pretty much the funniest thing on TV at one point turn into jsut awful, awful, slapstick comedy that isnt even funny. Almsot any time ive seen anew episode the gags revolve around how much physical punishment they can give homer in a single episode.

And its horrible because Homer was always dumb but he had heart, where he was once just a stupid dad whos heart was in the right place, now hes just written as a terrible parent.
    Remeber this?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_9mIUwC7z-To/THVqLtWBucI/AAAAAAAAACc/B-nTgUELjAY/s1600/MotherSimpson.jpg

Yeah...before they turned him into a complete asshole :(

I long for the day its cancelled now, so we can sweep away the ****ty episodes and be left with the cherished memories of how amazing the early seasons (particularly 3 & 4) were. I jsut watched the Duff Gardens episode the other day...amazing stuff.
    "i'd like to be alone with the sandwich"
    "are you going to eat it?"
    "....yes"

The show has been dead to me since the very first all singing episode. I remember me and my friends watching slack jawed in horror at that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

I saw one where they've effectively rewritten the story of how Marge and Homer got together. She fell in love with her college professor and Homer was a Kurt Cobain-esque frontman for a grunge band. Absolute rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,114 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

And its horrible because Homer was always dumb but he had heart, where he was once just a stupid dad whos heart was in the right place, now hes just written as a terrible parent.
    Remeber this?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_9mIUwC7z-To/THVqLtWBucI/AAAAAAAAACc/B-nTgUELjAY/s1600/MotherSimpson.jpg

Yeah...before they turned him into a complete asshole :(

Another one of Homer's ''Awww'' moments...

Do it for her

That's one of the best endings to a Simpsons episode. Homer used to be such a great character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Captain Graphite

For me, the first episode I saw where I thought wow that was really bad was the one where Homer joins the navy.

Ah I think that episode had a few decent moments.

Barney: Mayday, mayday! The engine room has sprung a leak! It's filling up with a clear, non-alcoholic liquid!
    Homer: You mean water?
    Barney: Yeah, that's it.

Captain Tenille: Ah, Simpson, you're like the son I never had.
    Homer: And you're like the father I never visit.

Doughnut 1: Homer Simpson, you stand accused of eating half the population of the planet of the doughnuts!
    Doughnut 2: As Homer's defense attorney, I feel we should be mercifu-- hey! Did you just take a bite out of me?
    Homer: Uh… maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Kamjana

1. The arrival of South park. If some movie or notable event happens Trey Parker can have an ep written and on tv literally in weeks in reaction to it. The production turnaround on the Simpsons is so slow (something like 2-3 years from idea to finished episode) that whatever movie or issue they are lampooning/addressing has already left the public consciousness by the time the show in question airs.

South Park can do it in a day,when Obama got elected they had his speech in an episode the very next day,and when Steve Irwin died they made jokes about it around a week later.

As far as i know doesn't it take 9 months to make an episode of The Simpsons?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

corcaigh07 wrote: »

hey, the Grimes episode was brilliant!

That's my favourite episode but they even went and ruined its legacy a couple of years later with an episode where Grimey's son comes back to get revenge. It was pathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Jordan 191 wrote: »
    Something stupid. :pac:
    Watched a new epsiode on Sky 1 last night where Bart discovers a sword shaped scar on his hand and Marge becomes friends with three women she fell out with years ago. It was diabolical. Even the worst episode would have something that would at least raise a smile. Please put this show out of its misery. For me, the first episode I saw where I thought wow that was really bad was the one where Homer joins the navy.
    The idea for the episodes was good but there were no jokes in it. For the navy episode, as pointed out there were a couple of good lines in it but like you I just really don't like the episode. Maybe it's the perfect animation, I dunno, there's just something not right about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭brennan1979

Ah I think that episode had a few decent moments.

Barney: Mayday, mayday! The engine room has sprung a leak! It's filling up with a clear, non-alcoholic liquid!
    Homer: You mean water?
    Barney: Yeah, that's it.

Captain Tenille: Ah, Simpson, you're like the son I never had.
    Homer: And you're like the father I never visit.

Doughnut 1: Homer Simpson, you stand accused of eating half the population of the planet of the doughnuts!
    Doughnut 2: As Homer's defense attorney, I feel we should be mercifu-- hey! Did you just take a bite out of me?
    Homer: Uh… maybe.

Even the bad episodes had funny moments in them which would give you a laugh. Nowadays you can sit through an entire episode without raising a smile. The Navy episode is a strange one. I don't like it but I know people that do and would argue for it but I always remember it was the first one I saw that I thought overall that wasn't very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

(Some of the many) Things that make the Simpsons suck nowadays.

1. The arrival of South park.

its interesting the arrival of south park and demise of the simpsons happened pretty much same time.......coincidence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Strychninism

http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lvuohp39F61qiqll1o1_500.jpg

You'll hardly ever (never?) see meaningful moments like that in the new Simpsons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

So who's still watching the Simpsons then? Someone must be as I think they still get decent ratings or they wouldn't be making them anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Fozzydog3

So who's still watching the Simpsons then? Someone must be as I think they still get decent ratings or they wouldn't be making them anymore

I always imagined them as those clueless families that live in new sattelite estates and drive Kia's

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭jackwigan

I think Phil Hartman's death coincided with the drop in quality. That's why you never see any bad episodes with Lionel Hutz and Troy McClure.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Jordan 191 wrote: »

That's the one

marge: homer there's a bird on your head!
    Homer:I know,he's grooming me!

or something like that anyway,haven't seen that episode in years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

jackwigan wrote: »
    I think Phil Hartman's death coincided with the drop in quality. That's why you never see any bad episodes with Lionel Hutz and Troy McClure.

Troy McClure and Lionel Hutz are legends. They will never be forgotten.

One thing I will remember about Troy McClure is his sham marriage to Selma Bouvier Twilliger Hutz McClure :D
    That's the one

marge: homer there's a bird on your head!
    Homer:I know,he's grooming me!

or something like that anyway,haven't seen that episode in years.

That's it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

I always thought the Movie was the biggest mistake they made...the thing to do with that would have been to bring back Hank Scorpio, the greatest one episode character in television history.

Great post. When you go home there will be an extra story on your house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

(Some of the many) Things that make the Simpsons suck nowadays.

1. The arrival of South park. If some movie or notable event happens Trey Parker can have an ep written and on tv literally in weeks in reaction to it. The production turnaround on the Simpsons is so slow (something like 2-3 years from idea to finished episode) that whatever movie or issue they are lampooning/addressing has already left the public consciousness by the time the show in question airs.

The reason South Park is now **** is because each episode is made 6 days in advance. Literally the production time for each episode is 6 days and they just show up and have to have it written in 6 days.

That's why it's just muck now. Last season had one half funny episode and the rest were muck.

Family Guy is muck as well. The only decent show at the moment is American Dad and that's because of Roger who as a character is a brilliant ingenious creation and the relationship Stan the father has to his son Steve who always disappoints him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

I cant believe no one has said anything about 'Bart after Dark'.
    The episode with the burlesque house.
    This is my favourite episode.

Marge and Lisa are not really in it leaving Homer and Bart to run the show.
    Hilarity ensues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Barney being a teetotaller is lame. And Apu settling down. And I think the woman who voiced Maud Flanders stopped working on the show under acrimonious circumstances, but killing her off? Way too much reality. What about a new voice-over woman?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Sindri wrote: »
    The reason South Park is now **** is because each episode is made 6 days in advance. Literally the production time for each episode is 6 days and they just show up and have to have it written in 6 days.

That's why it's just muck now. Last season had one half funny episode and the rest were muck.

Family Guy is muck as well. The only decent show at the moment is American Dad and that's because of Roger who as a character is a brilliant ingenious creation and the relationship Stan the father has to his son Steve who always disappoints him.

I actually think South Park is better now than when it started, mostly due to Randy Marsh taking a central role.

Family Guy is OK, wouldn't go out of my way to watch it but if there's nothing else on...

American Dad was always ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Wetai

Dudess wrote: »
    And I think the woman who voiced Maud Flanders stopped working on the show under acrimonious circumstances, but killing her off? Way too much reality. What about a new voice-over woman?
    It wouldn't really be the same, and it'd probably be delaying it - people may just hate the VA, and they'd have to kill her off anyways. Minus the costs it took to pay for her during that time, continued time drawing/animating/writing for Maud/etc, IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

It has declined it has become routine, but that is the only thing that could happen to a series like that.

When it began it was all new and each of the characters gathered their personalities in a lot of different but familiar situations. The show could go anywhere.
    BUT
    The flaw is once they went and done a lot of things the situations become less interesting and to similar. With the nature of the show the characters can never grow up or change so the material for each character is exhausted.

But it had the memorable classic episodes and lines, I loved earlier shows but I have not watched one in years. But I did enjoy the movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,381 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Sindri wrote: »

Tbh I never really liked Roger's character much. He just annoys me. Stan is the best I think.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

44leto wrote: »
    It has declined it has become routine, but that is the only thing that could happen to a series like that.

When it began it was all new and each of the characters gathered their personalities in a lot of different but familiar situations. The show could go anywhere.
    BUT
    The flaw is once they went and done a lot of things the situations become less interesting and to similar. With the nature of the show the characters can never grow up or change so the material for each character is exhausted.

But it had the memorable classic episodes and lines, I loved earlier shows but I have not watched one in years. But I did enjoy the movie.
    No no no. Even when the classic episodes weren't funny they were still enjoyable to watch. All the little subtleties and nuances were addictive viewing. Now it's pure pain watching the Simpsons. The reason it's crap now is nothing to do with running out of ideas. The writers now are just thick. They think what makes homer funny is simply being an idiot for example.

Advertisement