Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Went to tax the new camper today

Options
  • 09-02-2012 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭

Hi guys.
    went in to tax the camper today bought a 00 sprinter already reg as a camper.
    Handed over the log book.
    Lady said theres no weight on the log book
    I need to bring the camper in for the tax office to see it in order to tax it?

Whats the story with the above 2?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

AFAIK if its a van conversion they want to inspect it to make sure its not a van being taxed as a camper on the cheap ... if its a camper youve no probs quick look inside and all will be good I believe you need to contact the tax office to arrange this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 old westie

blahblah06 wrote: »
    Hi guys.
    went in to tax the camper today bought a 00 sprinter already reg as a camper.
    Handed over the log book.
    Lady said theres no weight on the log book
    I need to bring the camper in for the tax office to see it in order to tax it?

Whats the story with the above 2?

Same happened me in 2008 they have to make a visual sighting. So you arrange with motor tax and take the MH into tax office car park. Its crazy but it has to be done

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

Thats mad though even though its already registered as a camper? do u make a time appointment rather then just arriving and waiting for ages?
    what about no weight on the log book will they query that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Malta1

if its already registered as a camper, can it be taxed on line? ;)

Umm must check that..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭cipro 55

Is it uk or irish or a conversion that was never taxed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

Are you saying that it's been taxed in this country before as a camper?

If yes, then surely a ticket from the weigh bridge people (Usually council) sent, with the log book and a covering letter asking them to amend the same,to the tax office at Shannon would do the trick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

Best off ringing local tax office, getting inspection and weight added to the log book and from next year on they send you pin and you have online tax renewal and end of any messing about for you or if you sell on the next owner ... happy days then :D.

cipro 55 wrote: »
    Is it uk or irish or a conversion that was never taxed?

Brought in from the uk in 08 and taxed for 08-10

dickwod1 wrote: »
    Best off ringing local tax office, getting inspection and weight added to the log book and from next year on they send you pin and you have online tax renewal and end of any messing about for you or if you sell on the next owner ... happy days then :D.

Is there any min or max weight a camper should be? Would the van weighed at any truck place be enough?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭defike

Brought mine in as a panel van in '09.
    They had me weigh it at Irish cement on the Naas road/belgard rd.

The VRT people in Castlebar sent me to the Council weighbridge and as it was for official purposes there was no charge!.
    I don't know what the weighbridge people charge but perhaps this is worth knowing.

Brought in from the uk in 08 and taxed for 08-10

Was it brought in as a camper or a panel van?:confused:l

ive no idea. but it is reg as a camper on the log book. I suppose ill go to the local weight bridge place and just hand them the copy when taxing it.
    Does it have to be a certain weight to be a camper

ive no idea. but it is reg as a camper on the log book. I suppose ill go to the local weight bridge place and just hand them the copy when taxing it.
    Does it have to be a certain weight to be a camper

Don't think so, Just checked my reg cert no weight on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,852 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

If it was imported as a Camper then VRT was due. Due you have a VRT receipt ?

No vrt receipt. How do I check this? Surely if it's on Irish reg n reg as a camper it's ok?

This is all very strange.

Just looked at my log book (Reg. Cert.).
    In the code descriptions I assume that F1 is to do with weight? It says "Permissible Mass (GVW)(Kg).
    On my camper cert it just has the number "1", on my car cert it has "5555555". Neither of these mean anything to me!.

See how yours looks.

mine is just blank with no numbers at all

Right, so I guess that the "1" on mine is a code of sorts.
    My camper weight was 1110kg. ( light weight 2 berth).

Perhaps we can now hear from somebody else as to the detalis on their cert and the weight of camper and compare.

It is obviously not the weight itself that goes on the cert.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 tom22413

Right, so I guess that the "1" on mine is a code of sorts.
    My camper weight was 1110kg. ( light weight 2 berth).

Perhaps we can now hear from somebody else as to the detalis on their cert and the weight of camper and compare.

It is obviously not the weight itself that goes on the cert.

some info here, https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/264221/163121.jpg

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72771745#post72771745

Hi blahblah06,

I think I might see where the problem is.

If you look at the codes on page 2 of your cert, in the top section (J) is there anything other than M.

If so this would be the problem. M is the correct class for campervans/motorhomes, anything else on it would refer to commercial vehicles and probably/possibly require weight.

If it is not M you will need to get on to the Department of Transport, Shannon, Co Clare, as most of us owners did a year or so ago, and ask them to change it which they should do quite happily free of charge.

Hopefully this will be the problem and it's easy to solve.

Irishgoatman,
    If you look at the codes on page 2 of your cert, in the top section (J) is there anything other than M.

Mine has N1.

Anything other than M is wrong.

N1 is a commercial classification.

When I bought my camper I noticed this and got on to Shannon to have it changed. Most/all of the camper owners who come on this thread did the same.

Just ring Shannon to check on the dept to send it to and include a covering letter.

Not saying that this will solve blahblah06's problem, but it might.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 johnnyboomboom

Anything other than M is wrong.

N1 is a commercial classification.

When I bought my camper I noticed this and got on to Shannon to have it changed. Most/all of the camper owners who come on this thread did the same.

Just ring Shannon to check on the dept to send it to and include a covering letter.

Not saying that this will solve blahblah06's problem, but it might.

as far as i know all campers will have to pass a D.O.E.since 01 jan 2012, before you can tax it. is this correct?

as far as i know all campers will have to pass a D.O.E.since 01 jan 2012, before you can tax it. is this correct?

There's a sticky at the top of the Motorhome page regarding this.

"Minister signs....."

Sorry,

I should have added on my post #25 that this is providing that (D2) in the top section of the Reg Cert reads "Motorcaravan".

If it doesn't then you have problems!.

Mine also says n1. I'll ring Shannon in the morning and let use know thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭defike

Mine also says N1.But further dowm D-3 it says motorcaravan.
    I don't see the problem with N1.
    I tax it online everyyear no problem.
    No actual van weight on document other than maximun permissible weight 3300kg.

• Advertisement

defike wrote: »
    Mine also says N1.But further dowm D-3 it says motorcaravan.
    I don't see the problem with N1.
    I tax it online everyyear no problem.
    No actual van weight on document other than maximun permissible weight 3300kg.

That's fine that you can tax it but N1 is a commercial classification which could be why the weight is on the cert.

blahblah06's problem might be that the weight isn't shown.

My cert was ammended to M which relates under EU ruling to a private motorcaravan, and no weight is shown on my cert.

I had mine changed because I saw no reason why anything to do with commercial vehicles should be on it. It could raise all sorts of problems, possible as blahblah is finding out.

Advertisement