Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Any racing rigs/setups around?

• 09-02-2012 8:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have seen more and more posts slowly coming this way. I think sim racing will have its largest year ever this year.

Anyways, I just wanted to see if any Irish sim racers have their own rigs =)

Here is some pics of mine, I am going to make a new one soon. Not because there is anything wrong with the one I have now, I just love making things like this hehe =)

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

Hope to see some cool rigs/setups in this thread =)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭_HULK_SMASH!

I'm gonna take some pics of mine tonight or tomorrow and post them up here....
    That's if i'm not dragged onto iRacing........DAMN YOU IRACING!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭c0rn3y

I havent started with iRacing yet. I know that I do not have to time to sit and practice as much as I would need to hehe.

But I think I will have to this year =)

Post pictures when you can, love looking at other peopls rigs/setups =)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

How do you make room for these rigs? I think I'm at a disadvantage in that my PC is my entertainment centre/workplace so it can't be moved to a spare room out of the way.

I was thinking about getting an old car seat and turning it into a swivel chair that can be locked in place but I'd still be sitting at the computer desk.

ScumLord: If you do not have alot of space you could take a look at what this guy did, very cool solution I have to say =)

Sim rig in a box

That's cool, I'd still need to lose a piece of furniture but at least it's a replacement piece of furniture.

• Advertisement

Yeah that is what I thought as well and it looks like a very easy build tbh.

inally managed to take some pics of both of my Rigs :)

I built the F1 rig about 4 years ago and the GT style rig last year.

No Pics documenting the building process i'm afraid, haven't really got the patience for things like that and anyway, all my rigs are made up on the spot (there's never an actual plan for them) and they are never really finished. Are they ever?

First off: The GT Rig:

I hate spending money on raw materials...I'd rather mooch around and find some scrap to incorporate into the design, so that's what I did here.
    I work for a Photocopier supplier in Dublin and there is always stuff being sent off for recycling so I decided to do a little recycling of my own....

This rig is built from the following:
    G25.
    Old driving seat from my brothers Honda Civic (he was buying bucket seats)
    Assorted Photocopier spare parts
    Part of a child safety gate (top or bottom of stairs job)
    A Fire Extinguisher Bracket.
    Samsung 26inch HD telly.
    Track IR4
    old rear speaker stands.

IMG_0114.jpg
    IMG_0117.jpg
    IMG_0120.jpg
    IMG_0127.jpg
    IMG_0128.jpg

Here are pics of my F1 rig.

All built from wood and painted..

To be honest I don't use this one much anymore as I use the GT rig for playing F1 mods..

IMG_0132.jpg
    IMG_0133.jpg
    IMG_0134.jpg
    IMG_0137.jpg
    IMG_0136.jpg

_HULK_SMASH!: For just using spare parts that it damn nice man. I work for Xerox my self and I have never even thought about using the parts we have around here. I will think about it next time though hehe.

Ha ha ha I also work for Xerox, in a manner of speaking...small world innit?

Xerox Bought the Company I work for a few years ago...

• Advertisement

Damn small world indeed hehe, so we need to fix a "Xerox" irish racing team right? Hehe I just have to get into iRacing first I guess. Maybe rFactor2?

Reminder to self: Must buy Rfactor 2..

Hey how do I edit my posts so that the pics are displayed and are not attachments?

c0rn3y I really like your Rig man! nice and neat.

I started out building rigs from wood 'cos its much easier than Metal. I made an enormous one out of wood once, It was the one I had before this one. No pics unfortunately but I realised that it was taking up so much room.

So I dismantled it and started out on this one.
    Originally I was going to try my hand at welding, but gave up on the Idea and decided the Drill and Bolt method was easier.

Maybe one day...
    Some of the welded rigs on TWIP look so professional.

Clive.

Hey how do I edit my posts so that the pics are displayed and are not attachments?
    You have to host them somewhere else I think. I use photobucket for it.

The first rig is nice and compact.

_HULK_SMASH!: Thanks man! It was a very easy build to be honest and not many tools needed at all. If you cant find a place to host pictures send me a pm and I can upload them to my domain for you =)

Some updated pictures below with newer wheel (Fanatec GT2) and some "carpet".
    12%20-%203.jpg

12%20-%204.jpg

damn you _HULK_SMASH!, I just bought iRacing now =)

WooHoo! hope you enjoy it!
    I'm having great craic with it at the moment, it becomes seriously addictive.
    only done 3 races so far, a 3rd, a seventh and a second place in a race last night, also became eligible for promotion last night to go from the rookie class to a "D" licence..

Remember walk before you can run, lap as much as you can in testing mode with the cars, try and be safe with no contacts,no off tracks and no losses of control and you are well on your way.

Also try some Ghost racing its a great way to get used to cars on track without getting in peoples way, and they cant see you hehehe...

hope to see you on track soon.

Did some testing yesterday, holy moly is that game/sim is huge. I have to try and go online as well soon I think.

But I have to say I do like it a lot more than I thought I would, just wish I could change the cam. view when driving. I feel like I cant see anything when driving from cockpit view, think it makes more sens with cockpit view when you have 3 monitors hehe =)

Dcully wrote :
    Sorry mate went to reply there but it edited your post instead, damn moderator settings :P
    Ive reset it there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Squidwert

This is how we get our racing done in drogheda. rig and screen would be about €40 and as always it's still WIP a second 3D projector is needed.
    stp67345.jpg
    stp67348.jpg
    stp67351.jpg

Squidwert: WELL IMPRESSED! Very nice! Quick question about the load cell, how many kg is it for? Saw some good prices on load cells here.

• Advertisement

c0rn3y wrote: »
    Squidwert: WELL IMPRESSED! Very nice! Quick question about the load cell, how many kg is it for? Saw some good prices on load cells here.

That is where the one i have is from its the 30kg one, http://www.elane.net/loadcell/30kg_load_cell.php

Squidwert: Thanks man. It looks like the same load cell that is hooked up to the CST pedals. Is that a good price for it if you compare to what you paid for it? Just wondering =)

Designing my new rig in Google Sketchup at the moment, the PVC rig I have is nice but it does "wobble" a bit to much for my liking and I want something that I can use as both desk and racing rig (proving to be difficult).

Anybody use any tactile transducers here? (e.g. Buttkicker, Aura Bass Shaker, Dayton Puck). I have been reading a lot about them and they do look very cool.

c0rn3y wrote: »
    Squidwert: Thanks man. It looks like the same load cell that is hooked up to the CST pedals. Is that a good price for it if you compare to what you paid for it? Just wondering =)

Designing my new rig in Google Sketchup at the moment, the PVC rig I have is nice but it does "wobble" a bit to much for my liking and I want something that I can use as both desk and racing rig (proving to be difficult).

Anybody use any tactile transducers here? (e.g. Buttkicker, Aura Bass Shaker, Dayton Puck). I have been reading a lot about them and they do look very cool.

hi the loadcell is the one used on the CST pedals i have a spare one.(€20 if you won't it) i bought one from elane and one from the buy and sell forum on the racedepartment site it had springs and a leo bodnar board with it.

and yes i have a buttkicker but not connected to my new rig yet. If your looking to get one there is a place in Dun Laoghaire selling the buttkicker 1( new for €60. i got mine a few mouth's back they are great but if your rig ain't solid lol it will shake it to bits for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Stevegeraghty

@squidwert
    That's v cool, I must put a pic up of my monster

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Stevegeraghty

This is mine, I built it out of a rotten hammock I had out the back, it's up the attic at the mo:( as the mrs made me dismantle it over crimbo due to relations visiting, I must put it back together :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trPtH69Ay_0

looks good you just need to move the tv closer to the wheel.

I had a rig like that set up on the the main tv in the house for few years back. i must have taken it down and put it back together about 1000 times and carrying it up and down the stairs. But i was made redundent a few years back and converted the attic. best thing that ever happened no more moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭katana1

Hey c0rn3y , Thats a super clever idea with the pipes --looks awesome.well done my friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭katana1

This is a big pc table I got and I used the top part for the older bigger monitors for the pedals and the slide out shelf for the wheel.Not great looking but I braced it all and it does the job.

BTW --where do you all get those awesome racing seats and are they very expensive?

Hey Katana1

Here is where i got my seat. it expensive at €159 +vat (€200) you can get a second hand one cheap if you look around.

http://www.murraymotorsport.ie/products/Sparco-sprint-v-seat

• Advertisement

katana1 wrote: »
    BTW --where do you all get those awesome racing seats and are they very expensive?
    You could try http://www.partfinder.ie/ I'm sure there are a few boy racer cars in the scrapyards.

How do you manage with the swivel office chair? I can't use one for driving I keep pushing myself away from the desk and have to use a normal kitchen table chair.

Advertisement