Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tus Programme

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Genowefa

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Just a few questions. It looks like i will be getting an office job if i am successful. Coming upto Christmas and money is tight just wondering do you get any grants to get suits or even shirts and trousers. Or do you get any allowance for travel. I dont mind taking up a course but it seems like it will be costing me more money than anything.

you should ask the organization you will work for. They might pay for your work clothing after considering your circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Just a few questions. It looks like i will be getting an office job if i am successful. Coming upto Christmas and money is tight just wondering do you get any grants to get suits or even shirts and trousers. Or do you get any allowance for travel. I dont mind taking up a course but it seems like it will be costing me more money than anything.

It costs me money , I was told there was no clothing or travel allowance. From the extra €20 I get I pay €10.62 PRSI leaving €9.38. I pay more than €9.38 in petrol every week getting to and from work.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 ATR180

I WAS SUPPL[ED WITH SUITABLE CLOTHING MIND YOU I AM WORKING OUTSIDE....IF YOU ARE TO START AN OFFICE JOB YOU TOO SHOULD BE SUPPLIED WITH SUITABLE CLOTHING.......MIND YOU I CAN NOTN SEE YOU WEARING AN ARMANI..................................LOL:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2 pudsey0

Hi guys,

I just got a letter about this Tus programme today. I've been out of work for just over a year, and a few months ago I would have jumped at the chance but recently I've begun thinking of starting my own business. Last week I started browsing FAS courses on business start-ups and attaining the skills necessary to get off the ground. There's a ten week course starting in Jan I'm applying for which I could really benefit from.
    The thing is I may not even get on a FAS Course in January and if I miss a deadline for accepting a Tus job could they stop my payment?
    After reading the threads on this subject I'm starting to think that SW may think I'm just going for a FAS course to avoid Tus.. And I'll be back signing after 10 weeks. Tus I'm sure for some people is excellent, but I cant help but think that although you're back in the workforce temporarily, ultimately your back in the the same position, just twelve months older.
    And if I'm lucky enough to get a place on the FAS course, will I be able to sign back on after that until I organise myself, raise enough capital etc to start the business.

I dont know what to do, if I accept a Tus job I'll be back in 12 months. If I go for FAS, and subsequent start-up I could have a growing business in 12 months. But if turn down the Tus and dont get the FAS my payment could be stopped?!!

Quite confused here, any help would be great!! :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Did they tell you where you are in the list for the FAS course. How many are waiting for it, and how many courses are being run?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

Karen23 wrote: »
    It costs me money , I was told there was no clothing or travel allowance. From the extra €20 I get I pay €10.62 PRSI leaving €9.38. I pay more than €9.38 in petrol every week getting to and from work.

I finished my Tus placement today but for the last two weeks since the budget changes came into effect I have been paying €15.70 PRSI from the €20 top up so I actually only came out with €4.30 extra after working 19.5 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭dubscribe

Does anyone know what are considered valid reasons for refusing to take a placement?

I received an "invite" letter from Tús and wrote back giving what I considered 3 valid reasons not to participate:

a) I live in a tiny seaside village, rely on public transport and if I were placed in the nearest town I could be 36-55 euro a week worse off due to travel costs.

b) I did a 9-month Jobbridge Internship last year in my village and would not go back there again due my bad experience (the only local community option I'm aware of)

c) I'm hoping to relocate later this year to an area where I might have a better chance of getting a real, decent paying job.

I did say, if they were not happy with my explanations and I was in danger of having my benefits cut to let me know immediately.
    They got the letter yesterday; I got a phone call this morning.
    Basically if I do not agree to sign up for the scheme, my benefits will be cut.

Yet I read elsewhere on the boards that being substantially out of pocket is a valid reason to decline a placement :confused:

It's bad enough being forced into cheap labour, but to be made destitute, which I would be if my current SW benefits were reduced as a result of the cost of travel.... what the hell?????

• Site Banned Posts: 104 ✭✭Readyhed

dubscribe wrote: »
    Does anyone know what are considered valid reasons for refusing to take a placement?

I received an "invite" letter from Tús and wrote back giving what I considered 3 valid reasons not to participate:

a) I live in a tiny seaside village, rely on public transport and if I were placed in the nearest town I could be 36-55 euro a week worse off due to travel costs.

b) I did a 9-month Jobbridge Internship last year in my village and would not go back there again due my bad experience (the only local community option I'm aware of)

c) I'm hoping to relocate later this year to an area where I might have a better chance of getting a real, decent paying job.

I did say, if they were not happy with my explanations and I was in danger of having my benefits cut to let me know immediately.
    They got the letter yesterday; I got a phone call this morning.
    Basically if I do not agree to sign up for the scheme, my benefits will be cut.

Yet I read elsewhere on the boards that being substantially out of pocket is a valid reason to decline a placement :confused:

It's bad enough being forced into cheap labour, but to be made destitute, which I would be if my current SW benefits were reduced as a result of the cost of travel.... what the hell?????

I got one of these letters yesterday and my circumstances are similar to yours.

I would be really interested to know how it ended up for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭dubscribe

When I explained my situation, the lady interviewing me (there were two interviewers) seemed most sympathetic about my circumstances. Essentially, with my travel restrictions because of costs, she assured me I would not be called upon unless there was something very local that would work with the bus time-table.

She had in fact 3 vacancies to fill in the general area but because I did JobBridge last year in the same place that had two of the 3 vacancies, she understood why I wouldn't want to commit to another 12 months there.

Similarly, with the 3rd vacancy, it wouldn't work with my restrictions on the local bus service, which is rather sparse.

In all honesty, I think it depends on who interviews you. From a personal perspective, I have to say, the TUS interviewers were very understanding about my personal circumstances.

I suggest you go along to the interview and explain your circumstances. Hopefully your interviewers will be as accommodating as mine were.

• Site Banned Posts: 104 ✭✭Readyhed

Excellent. Thanks for the feedback. Glad you got it sorted out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 mcgocks

i've being good at the interview because of being scared and told them i was almost eager, they select me then i find out i'm out of pocket i complain and get abuse but social welfare and other partnership department backs me up wtf i am still forced in to this? not fair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭EireIceMan

mcgocks wrote: »
    i've being good at the interview because of being scared and told them i was almost eager, they select me then i find out i'm out of pocket i complain and get abuse but social welfare and other partnership department backs me up wtf i am still forced in to this? not fair

Its a joke of a scheme. Since the budget im being taxed 23.50 a week. Meaning im getting 3e less than on the dole and driving everyday. Really struggling every week. Your damned if you do and damned if you dont.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 mcgocks

omg thats worse than i am getting taxed well. madness. do you work as well on top of that or include dependants you are claiming for

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭smiley_face400

For those of you paying any PRSI or Universal tax, this is emergency tax that you shouldn't be paying. It seems to happen to everyone on Tus but if you get on to the tax office and give them the employer number they'll sort it out and you'll get it all back.

I end up with about the same as I was on the dole as it costs me €19.50 a week to get in and out on the bus. I kept on complaining about it and am now getting a travel allowance on top of my extra €20, just keep at them and they'll eventually do something about it although it probably depends on your Tus supervisor.

As far as I am aware you're still eligible for FAS courses. I started my placement in May but had applied for a management course with FAS and was on the waiting list. Got a call in September to enroll. The only problem is if the hours on the course clash with your hours on the placement. With BTEA you're not eligible unless you leave the scheme and sign back on. Again, talk with your supervisor if this is the route you're going and they should be able to sort something out for you. You're technically still considered as on JSA/JSB even though you're not signing on during the placement so there shouldn't be a problem with it although it may require some extra paperwork.

Advertisement